• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

White Sox 2020 season

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be clear - I want the Asterisk because it will come with winning - even if it is a screwed up season and a screwed up schedule.

I don't think people want an easy schedule or some winning advantage, but given the current schedule and challenges - you look for what can make the Sox competitive given the rules that are in place.

I do think you have a valid point about - what promises to me a substandard product provided by MLB.

I don't think playing baseball puts anyone anymore at risk than the rest of us who have to move about and interact in the covid environment. In fact - it appears the baseball players will have more precautions doing their job than the rest of us get.

winning with a screwed up season and schedule are what matters most to me. winning that way is meaningless imo. at what point do you say it's meaningless? 40 games? 20? 5? (i will also admit i was pretty upset when the schedule went from 156 games to 162)

and i DO think, based on what i've read here, that many DO want any advantage they can get.

and it remains to be seen whether or not they are more at risk. i hope you are right.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
winning with a screwed up season and schedule are what matters most to me. winning that way is meaningless imo. at what point do you say it's meaningless? 40 games? 20? 5? (i will also admit i was pretty upset when the schedule went from 156 games to 162)

and i DO think, based on what i've read here, that many DO want any advantage they can get.

and it remains to be seen whether or not they are more at risk. i hope you are right.

So all 30 teams with 60 games to play - in the same amount of time - with the same roster rules - out of a 3 week training period. It's competition - within the same framework of rules - each has a punchers chance of winning. To win - though - a lucky team will have to get through the playoffs and a world series to claim the 2020 title.

As far as advantages go - baseball history is filled with advantage lore. The White Sox sloped the foul lines so Fox and Aparicio's bunted balls had a better chance of staying fair. In that era mounds would be sometimes built tall to advantage guys like Bob Gibson. The White Sox knew when they flipped fields with old ball park to the new one - that the new ballpark would carry balls out in the prevailing winds - while the old ball park - blew in for better pitching results.

How a team uses its advantages - is the strategy of the game of baseball.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
• A ball will be thrown out once it has been touched by multiple players.

No foul ball soup for the fans. :(

Kid me of 30ish years ago would have been sad not rocking his White Sox promotional glove at the stadium and waiting for one of them sumb*tches.

God, thinking about that glove...It was so bad...Scratched the hell out of you...But it had the Sox logo on the wristover so hot damn if it wasn't one of my most prized possessions.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all 30 teams with 60 games to play - in the same amount of time - with the same roster rules - out of a 3 week training period. It's competition - within the same framework of rules - each has a punchers chance of winning. To win - though - a lucky team will have to get through the playoffs and a world series to claim the 2020 title.

As far as advantages go - baseball history is filled with advantage lore. The White Sox sloped the foul lines so Fox and Aparicio's bunted balls had a better chance of staying fair. In that era mounds would be sometimes built tall to advantage guys like Bob Gibson. The White Sox knew when they flipped fields with old ball park to the new one - that the new ballpark would carry balls out in the prevailing winds - while the old ball park - blew in for better pitching results.

How a team uses its advantages - is the strategy of the game of baseball.
sure it's competition. 1 game vs each team is competition. it's just not baseball as it should be.
as to your advantages comment, i think that's apples and oranges. there's a reason the season is as long as it is.
i will of course follow the team but in my opinion it should be considered an exhibition season.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure it's competition. 1 game vs each team is competition. it's just not baseball as it should be.
as to your advantages comment, i think that's apples and oranges. there's a reason the season is as long as it is.
i will of course follow the team but in my opinion it should be considered an exhibition season.
I stated a similar opinion in another thread on the matter. MLB of course would never go thru all this just to treat it as an exhibition season, but my take has been that 60 games just doesn't feel like the real McCoy, and it's why there will be a major asterisk to 2020 when everyone looks back on all this. I do agree with others in here tho that there'll be a different level of excitement just due to the shortened crunch of the season. EVERY game will be magnified in importance.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Screw that...We're getting blitzed and going streaking if we win this mother f*cking thing. You gotta come!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there's a reason the season is as long as it is.

Not really. It's all arbitrary. If baseball was to become a professional sport today. It would probably be assigned the same season length as basketball or hockey. Highly doubtful that somebody says "Wouldn't it be great if this particular sport played a season twice as long as any other? Playing games nearly every day for 6 months? That way we can mix in poor quality starting pitching and maximize the games where team's aces ARE NOT on the mound! They'll only pitch 20% of games. Isn't that a great idea for a sport!?"

Every team is in the same spot. It's a fair competition.

Baseball has been the same thing for a century and a half. This year, we get something different. Enjoy it. You're almost dead you miserable prick. You should be excited you get to see this.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stated a similar opinion in another thread on the matter. MLB of course would never go thru all this just to treat it as an exhibition season, but my take has been that 60 games just doesn't feel like the real McCoy, and it's why there will be a major asterisk to 2020 when everyone looks back on all this. I do agree with others in here tho that there'll be a different level of excitement just due to the shortened crunch of the season. EVERY game will be magnified in importance.

I don't know. I will look at it differently but I probably won't give the winner an asterisk. Everyone still started on the same level playing field and navigated through the EXACT same playoff format to a World Series title.

Of course, I'll have to see the product to know for sure. Those are my feelings as it stands, though.

I'm honestly excited and think it will surprise people. I think it's going to be a good time.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I thought I would rush this idea to you - to see if you see the merit in it.

This baseball season - in all its bizarreness - risks - absurdities and unfairness - will be one for the ages. Something never before seen by baseball fans. Some players who have a spitting routine - will be uncomfortable and distracted - while others will find out they can concentrate better this way. Some rookies will come out smoking - and before they leage can chart their weakness - the season's over. Other rookies will get in a rut and their minds will interfere with their instincts for the whole season.

We won't have a problem hearing the crack of the bat - or players calling for an outfield catch. A whole new collectors market will spring up on autographed covid masks. For the 25% of seats they may fill - there will be hundreds more years from now telling their children they were there and they saw that.

These players - playing these sports - ought to be held up as patriots doing their part to help the masses stay entertained while the covid lurks. But, it is the uniqueness that will make this baseball season to fascinating.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This baseball season - in all its bizarreness - risks - absurdities and unfairness - will be one for the ages. Something never before seen by baseball fans. Some players who have a spitting routine - will be uncomfortable and distracted - while others will find out they can concentrate better this way. Some rookies will come out smoking - and before they leage can chart their weakness - the season's over. Other rookies will get in a rut and their minds will interfere with their instincts for the whole season.

We won't have a problem hearing the crack of the bat - or players calling for an outfield catch. A whole new collectors market will spring up on autographed covid masks. For the 25% of seats they may fill - there will be hundreds more years from now telling their children they were there and they saw that.

These players - playing these sports - ought to be held up as patriots doing their part to help the masses stay entertained while the covid lurks. But, it is the uniqueness that will make this baseball season to fascinating.
That's quite the perspective and a fascinating take, Mingo. Great job!

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

i appreciate the attempt mingo, i really do, but i can't concur. for some people what you're saying is undoubtedly true, but i don't look at it that way. i get that it'll be different in all the ways you mention but i don't want that difference. i want to game i love to be .... the game i love. it won't be that this year. years from now i'll be dead and not care at all who talks about it or why.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i appreciate the attempt mingo, i really do, but i can't concur. for some people what you're saying is undoubtedly true, but i don't look at it that way. i get that it'll be different in all the ways you mention but i don't want that difference. i want to game i love to be .... the game i love. it won't be that this year. years from now i'll be dead and not care at all who talks about it or why.

So a reunion of our Asterisk World Series celebratory getting blitzed and streak party in the afterlife is out then?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You don't love this game. You've even considered abandoning the team before.

This is just something else for you to bitch about.

"Oh my god. They're playing a different amount of games! WAH!"

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a reunion of our Asterisk World Series celebratory getting blitzed and streak party in the afterlife is out then?

I would be down for this if we won our exhibition series vs the Cubs.

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if any Sox players pull the plug and choose not to play as the season draws nearer.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if any Sox players pull the plug and choose not to play as the season draws nearer.
the smart ones will. if i'm making a million + why would i take that chance?
a penn state student just died of covid. why wouldn't a baseball player?

ChiSoxFan

FC Bayern Forever #1
Hoopla Cash
$ 400.07
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the smart ones will. if i'm making a million + why would i take that chance?
a penn state student just died of covid. why wouldn't a baseball player?
With the daily case number exploding, and more than two weeks before opening day, things are bound to go awry.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Too many Cubans for that to happen. ;)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the daily case number exploding, and more than two weeks before opening day, things are bound to go awry.

My point is - this isn't anymore dangerous than the rest of us face - and they are a group that profiles as less of a risk. This is not as dangerous as working at a grocery store.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is - this isn't anymore dangerous than the rest of us face - and they are a group that profiles as less of a risk. This is not as dangerous as working at a grocery store.
but they don't work at a grocery store! they are super rich athletes who don't need to work to support themselves. obviously some people HAVE to put themselves at risk. others don't! do you think many rich people put themselves in harms way if they don't have to?