• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

White Sox 2020 season

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How laughable is this going to be? 60 games with expanded rosters for periods of time to accommodate covid victims. It is going to be a different kind of wild.

I have a thesis and my thesis is this it would be just the kind of format that the Sox can excel in performance. The Sox always have a couple of months of good baseball in them - no matter how bad the season ends up.

So - however- screwed up this baseball season turns out to be - it is an genuine opportunity to pull off some White Sox history.

The White Sox can do this. Go Sox.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think this is fun. We've all seen plenty of your typical baseball seasons. We will all see plenty more of them.

It's something different this year. Try to enjoy it. It will go back to normal, don't worry.

One hot streak versus one cold streak could make or break the season. That makes it kind of exciting. Games start really mattering immediately.

I do, however, worry about two guys in this "all out sprint" format. Edwin Encarnacion who is a historically slow starter. Then, Luis Robert. Who has no time to go through an early season learning curve. It will be interesting to see what we decide to do if he's having some typical rookie struggles (much like Moncada) and we're simultaneously competing for the post-season.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think this is fun. We've all seen plenty of your typical baseball seasons. We will all see plenty more of them.

It's something different this year. Try to enjoy it. It will go back to normal, don't worry.

One hot streak versus one cold streak could make or break the season. That makes it kind of exciting. Games start really mattering immediately.

I do, however, worry about two guys in this "all out sprint" format. Edwin Encarnacion who is a historically slow starter. Then, Luis Robert. Who has no time to go through an early season learning curve. It will be interesting to see what we decide to do if he's having some typical rookie struggles (much like Moncada) and we're simultaneously competing for the post-season.

The Sprint is better for us. We're not as good overall as the other top teams (yet....hopefully) so a longer season will expose that. Lightning in a bottle for a team that had a very positive offseason and a lot of youth that will just ride the excitement if they come out of the gates strong. The phrase "youthful exuberance" comes to mind.

I think our chances are significantly better in a 60 game scenario than a 162 game by far. Do I think we can win a 7 game series vs the big dogs, much less multiple, when all the dust settles come playoff time? Doubtful...But I damn well wouldn't mind seeing us try.

Moncada won't hit triple digit k's for the first time in his career. So we've got that going for us too. : D

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sprint is better for us. We're not as good overall as the other top teams (yet....hopefully) so a longer season will expose that. Lightning in a bottle for a team that had a very positive offseason and a lot of youth that will just ride the excitement if they come out of the gates strong. The phrase "youthful exuberance" comes to mind.

I think our chances are significantly better in a 60 game scenario than a 162 game by far. Do I think we can win a 7 game series vs the big dogs, much less multiple, when all the dust settles come playoff time? Doubtful...But I damn well wouldn't mind seeing us try.

Moncada won't hit triple digit k's for the first time in his career. So we've got that going for us too. : D

Our prospects in a 7 game series would hinge upon key pieces in our rotation hitting their stride and our youngsters coming on strong.

With no expanded playoff format; it will tough to finish top 5 in the American League with the Yankees, Tampa Bay, Oakland, Houston, Minnesota among a few others like BOS/CLE/LAA who have question marks but could go either way. I think we'll be able to put up a lot of runs and give it a good go, though.

Being young has pros/cons to this. While you can make the argument that our guys will be more happy to "be there" than your older/typical vets and come out with more energy. Sometimes young teams don't hit their stride until mid-season. Sometimes young players have to see more AB's/innings until they settle into a groove.

And again... every year Encarnacion is rather hopeless through the first month before getting hot in May/June. It worries me. Career wise he's a .236/.322/.430 (.752) hitter in April. Versus being a .277/.378/.554 (.932) hitter in June.

Of course, it could have to do with the cold weather and having played in the AL East and Central divisions. But... he's also historically the worst spring training hitter, like ever. So, I don't know. Lord knows we're tired of DH struggles. I hope he can figure it out.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox appear to have great pitching depth for this kind of season. With an expanded roster they could keep Kopech, Rodon, Dunning, Steivers and even Crochet for spot duty. Keep Madrigal for bunting and pinch running. Yermin Mercedes for back up DH and Adam Engle every time they wanted to bolster the outfield D.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox appear to have great pitching depth for this kind of season. With an expanded roster they could keep Kopech, Rodon, Dunning, Steivers and even Crochet for spot duty. Keep Madrigal for bunting and pinch running. Yermin Mercedes for back up DH and Adam Engle every time they wanted to bolster the outfield D.
I think the depth of our pitching is in the bullpen, which I believe is the deepest and most talented in the Central. However, I'm not nearly as confident with the depth of our starters, altho if all come thru as hoped, then yes, we'll have great depth there too. Big if tho in my book.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the depth of our pitching is in the bullpen, which I believe is the deepest and most talented in the Central. However, I'm not nearly as confident with the depth of our starters, altho if all come thru as hoped, then yes, we'll have great depth there too. Big if tho in my book.

I'm thinking they will not have starters throw complete games - maybe 5 inning max, may pitch a game with relievers. Pitchers usually have 5-6 weeks to get ready to throw innings - and even then pitch only a few innings at a time. The roles of starters and relievers will blur in this competition.

Also - you have to manage every game like you are in playoff contention.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking they will not have starters throw complete games - maybe 5 inning max, may pitch a game with relievers. Pitchers usually have 5-6 weeks to get ready to throw innings - and even then pitch only a few innings at a time. The roles of starters and relievers will blur in this competition.

Also - you have to manage every game like you are in playoff contention.

Yeah, good point. 60 games are going to zip by like no tomorrow. Having solid pitching depth can only help our cause and I agree with you in that Renteria can take chances he normally might not take when it's a 162 game marathon.

I have to admit, it does present a sense of excitement and urgency that fans rarely experience in a normal season, at least not until the last couple of months and only then if the fan's respective team is in the postseason hunt. Here with such a shortened season, every team is in the hunt right out of the gate.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suggested Sox Slogan - We'll take the asterisk!

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha, yeah, this season should look like this:

2017 MLB Season
2018 MLB Season
2019 MLB Season
2020 MLB Season*

The only two ways this season garners an asterisk is if...

A) We suck

B) The Cubs win the World Series

If we're good and the Cubs whiff? This season is legit as fuck, son.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only two ways this season garners an asterisk is if...

A) We suck

B) The Cubs win the World Series

If we're good and the Cubs whiff? This season is legit as fuck, son.

6sMKyov.gif

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow, i look at this season so much differently than you guys.

Oh no! The old angry man who hates everything hates this too!? Shocker!

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no! The old angry man who hates everything hates this too!? Shocker!
actually it seems the angry one is you, dipshit. and frankly, i (and i'd bet everyone else) am bored to death with your tired bullshit. obviously i am so into your empty skull you can't handle it. so it's time i put you on ignore. maybe someday you'll act like an adult but it's plain that time is not yet here.
you're such a child.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm game - please elaborate.
well, for me, this team either is good or it is not. the team that you all want to see get the easiest schedule, the hottest streak etc. does nothing for me. i want my team to be up against the best, not the worst. you guys don't mind (indeed you WANT) the asterisk and i hate the asterisk. even if the sox manage to get into the playoffs i'll be disappointed in this joke of a season.
and i call baseball stupid this year because they'll force a joke of a season even at the potential expense of someone's life. i dare say i love the game as much as any of you but holy shit .... there should be some perspective here!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, for me, this team either is good or it is not. the team that you all want to see get the easiest schedule, the hottest streak etc. does nothing for me. i want my team to be up against the best, not the worst. you guys don't mind (indeed you WANT) the asterisk and i hate the asterisk. even if the sox manage to get into the playoffs i'll be disappointed in this joke of a season.
and i call baseball stupid this year because they'll force a joke of a season even at the potential expense of someone's life. i dare say i love the game as much as any of you but holy shit .... there should be some perspective here!

To be clear - I want the Asterisk because it will come with winning - even if it is a screwed up season and a screwed up schedule.

I don't think people want an easy schedule or some winning advantage, but given the current schedule and challenges - you look for what can make the Sox competitive given the rules that are in place.

I do think you have a valid point about - what promises to me a substandard product provided by MLB.

I don't think playing baseball puts anyone anymore at risk than the rest of us who have to move about and interact in the covid environment. In fact - it appears the baseball players will have more precautions doing their job than the rest of us get.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think playing baseball puts anyone anymore at risk than the rest of us who have to move about and interact in the covid environment. In fact - it appears the baseball players will have more precautions doing their job than the rest of us get.

Case in point:

Players, coaches and support staff will be tested for COVID-19 every other day during Spring Training, the regular season and postseason.

• Players will receive temperature/symptom checks twice per day.

Antibody testing will be conducted once per month.

• Social distancing will be encouraged as much as possible both on the field and off. Players and other team personnel not participating in the game will be sitting in the stands, at least six feet apart.

• Non-playing personnel must wear masks in the dugout and bullpen at all times.

• No pregame exchange of lineup cards.

No celebratory contact (high-fives, fist bumps, hugs, etc.).

No spitting or chewing of tobacco and/or sunflower seeds. Chewing gum is allowed.

• A ball will be thrown out once it has been touched by multiple players.

• Fights are strictly prohibited.

How many regular joes will have these restrictions and precautions presented to them? I've been tested twice for the virus, but have yet to receive an antibody test, and probably won't any time in 2020, yet the players will receive these tests monthly. Oh, and good luck MLB at keeping players from engaging in celebratory contacts during moments of dramatic action. And even more good luck in preventing players from spitting.