• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which QB will make a vast improvement?

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be hard to do but I think Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck will only get better.. Both guys have crazy work ethic and study film just like Peyton.

Won't be popular but Biggest step back for me is : Colin Kaepernick, lets see how he evolves with the Defense's getting better at stopping him on the run. I have a feeling Kaepernick will become a turnover machine this year. Word was he already struggled with plays and reading the coverage last year.. Guy has a cannon arm but I see Colin taking a step back this year... I know alot of people feel opposite but thats why they play the games. We will see

None of this makes sense. Kaep has just a strong a work ethic as Wilson/Luck. Dude was working out throwing passes a week after the Super Bowl. All he cares about his football.

As other people mentioned, running is one part of his game. Where did you get the word that he struggled with plays and reading coverage? His winning TD pass against the Patriots showed how well he was at reading coverage. Oh and that was his 7th start ever. You say he struggled with plays yet he had 8.32 yards per pass attempt in the regular season which just so happened to beat everyone. In the playoffs that went UP to 9.98. He damn near averaged a first down with every single pass he completed! So I don't know how you define struggling with plays when he was obviously a playmaker with both his arm and legs. I suppose you want to define him based on his last drive in the SB.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Matt Ryan is going to win MVP this year. Another year with Tony G, JJ and Roddy AND adding in a major improvement at RB. Plus I think Jackson is a HUGE upgrade at pass receiving out of the backfield as well. Not sure if thats a huge improvement or not in your books but thats my vote.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The most obvious answer for regression is Flacco.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Matt Ryan is going to win MVP this year. Another year with Tony G, JJ and Roddy AND adding in a major improvement at RB. Plus I think Jackson is a HUGE upgrade at pass receiving out of the backfield as well. Not sure if thats a huge improvement or not in your books but thats my vote.

I miss your old avatar.

And Ryan will not be MVP.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I miss your old avatar.

And Ryan will not be MVP.

LOL........... We shall see on Ryan. There isnt a team in the league with his weapons. Atlanta may run the ball more this year though ( like they used to when Turner wasnt fat and drunk) so you could be right.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL........... We shall see on Ryan. There isnt a team in the league with his weapons. Atlanta may run the ball more this year though ( like they used to when Turner wasnt fat and drunk) so you could be right.

I request that Sickness remember this thread to bump at the end of the year. :)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's the rub: Kaepernick may hold the single-game rushing record for a quarterback. But unlike Griffin's Redskins, the read-option was only a part - sometimes a small part - of the 49ers offense. He averaged six carries per game in his seven regular-season starts. In arguably his best game of the regular season against Chicago, he ran the ball four times for 10 yards. Yes, that number jumped to 16 carries against the Packers in the divisional playoffs. But a week later against the Falcons, he had two carries for 21 yards.

Read more here: 49ers Blog and Q&A: Packers' rookie doesn't think Kaepernick can keep up his pace

I read into it somewhat, but obviously he was using his arm against the Bears and Falcons.

ok, was just wondering how you got "passing" out of that article? cause don't think it mentioned passing once?

anyways, not a problem.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

if Steven Jackson can still run, i agree. now, does he have a good O-line?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if Steven Jackson can still run, i agree. now, does he have a good O-line?

OL is solid but to be frank it really doesnt need to be that great. Atlanta has so many 3 step drops that Ryan rarely ever gets pressure. Thats why your guys unbelievable DL didnt really concern me in the NFC title game. I was way more worried about our D than our O :) IF Jackson is even at the same level as he has been the last 3 years ( not even hoping for OLD SCHOOL Steven Jackson, IF that happens then Atlanta will be near impossible to stop) then I think you are going to see a team that scores 30+ ppg EASY.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All going to depend on their on defense though. If their D can't stop opponents from scoring then Matt Ryan won't be up for MVP due to the losses.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All going to depend on their on defense though. If their D can't stop opponents from scoring then Matt Ryan won't be up for MVP due to the losses.

Eh D will be fine. DL should be better ven with the loss of Abraham. Only concern I have is secondary and thats a valid point but we loaded up in the draft so hoping for the best there. We will sure as hell find out week 1 vs New Orleans. LOL

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not ready to anoint the KC O'Line as being good just yet - it could be, but with two possibly three new starters it remains to be seen. Individually there may be some talent but how well they play collectively is an unknown.

That's fair. They are a promising OL that could be very good and should be pretty good.

KC's strength last season was their running game and as long as that remains - that will be a huge plus for Alex.

No argument here.

WR's are good assets as long as they can get open and as long as Smith can complement their strengths.

That seems to basically be a statement of fact. No real argument here. I'm interested to see what Smith does with Bowe, who is a guy who can win contested balls, but doesn't necessarily get wide open. I've argued in the past that sort of player doesn't really play to Smith's strengths.

KC barely has any TE depth so I have to believe you are thinking of a different team. Only two teams in the league have fewer TE's than KC.

As I_am noted, they've got Moeaki, Fasano, and Kelce. That's not a stellar group, but Fasano is a solid outlet and redzone threat, and a lot of people had Kelce as the third or fourth TE this year.

Reid is definitely a difference maker for Alex no doubt.

Agreed.

Overall everything you mentioned here is meaningful, however these tangibles cover the least of the contributors to Smith's success while in SF.

During his time in SF, Alex was successful mostly because of our defense not because of our offensive weapons and KC did/does not have a good defense.

If KC's defense can't keep points off the board and not consistently put Smith in a hole, he is going to struggle - mightily imo.

Combine this with KC's schedule and the short leash the fans have placed on Smith, and this could become an experiment gone wrong real early.

In fact 'early' is where the key to his success resides, imo. If Smith can come out of the gate strong - real strong - then I think he proves you right, if he comes out weak, then I think he proves me right.

I agree with that. That's part of what I was getting at with the wins and losses statement. If Smith has to bring them back - or try to bring them back - from big deficits, they're in some trouble. And he may be, too. I think their D will be better this year, though, especially if Alex can protect the ball. We'll see. I just don't expect a return to his early career form. I think he'll still be pretty solid.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not ready to anoint the KC O'Line as being good just yet - it could be, but with two possibly three new starters it remains to be seen. Individually there may be some talent but how well they play collectively is an unknown.

KC's strength last season was their running game and as long as that remains - that will be a huge plus for Alex.

WR's are good assets as long as they can get open and as long as Smith can complement their strengths.

KC barely has any TE depth so I have to believe you are thinking of a different team. Only two teams in the league have fewer TE's than KC.

Reid is definitely a difference maker for Alex no doubt.

Overall everything you mentioned here is meaningful, however these tangibles cover the least of the contributors to Smith's success while in SF.

During his time in SF, Alex was successful mostly because of our defense not because of our offensive weapons and KC did/does not have a good defense.

If KC's defense can't keep points off the board and not consistently put Smith in a hole, he is going to struggle - mightily imo.

Combine this with KC's schedule and the short leash the fans have placed on Smith, and this could become an experiment gone wrong real early.

In fact 'early' is where the key to his success resides, imo. If Smith can come out of the gate strong - real strong - then I think he proves you right, if he comes out weak, then I think he proves me right.

Good analysis, Bem. I like that you covered both possibilities, the reasons for both, as well as state your opinion. None of us could agree on every single thing, but this was a great analysis, IMO.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good analysis, Bem. I like that you covered both possibilities, the reasons for both, as well as state your opinion. None of us could agree on every single thing, but this was a great analysis, IMO.

Thanks, I really do hope Smith does well; I will be watching closely.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh D will be fine. DL should be better ven with the loss of Abraham. Only concern I have is secondary and thats a valid point but we loaded up in the draft so hoping for the best there. We will sure as hell find out week 1 vs New Orleans. LOL

That's the concern for me as well. They lost what 4 or 5 of their 11 starters and most were DB's. It could be awfully rough going with all new starters in your secondary. They will get tested early in that game with Saints.

The Falcons will need that offense to be putting up probably 24+ points a game at least to win 13 again.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Matty Ice was looking a bit edgey in the pocket by the end of that NFC championship game and we held them for a long time with no points in the 2nd half.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matty Ice was looking a bit edgey in the pocket by the end of that NFC championship game and we held them for a long time with no points in the 2nd half.

Yeah but that was more because of self inflicted stuff than anything. Atlanta moved the ball fine, they just didnt score ( to your guys credit). The stupid unforced fumble haunts my dreams still. Even a FG there and we dont have to go for a TD at the end ( although you guys can say the same about turnovers/missed opportunities I know)