• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Which of the young Alabama/Oklahoma QBs in the NFL end up being the best over the course of their careers?

Which of the young Alabama/Oklahoma QBs in the NFL end up being the best over the course of their ca

• Total voters

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His ceiling is probably limited but yeah, coaching really matters and if they get DHop, that could help his development as well. Murray seemed to be the guy on this list with the most upside when it started but damn, his career seems to be headed in the wrong direction right now. Hurts appears to be the guy now but he has to back up last year and continue to grow. Too many people are too quick to assess these young guys as either boom or bust when they have either one great year or one bad year.
Steve Carrell Well Said GIF - SteveCarrell WellSaid Alright - Discover & Share GIFs

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His ceiling is probably limited but yeah, coaching really matters and if they get DHop, that could help his development as well. Murray seemed to be the guy on this list with the most upside when it started but damn, his career seems to be headed in the wrong direction right now. Hurts appears to be the guy now but he has to back up last year and continue to grow. Too many people are too quick to assess these young guys as either boom or bust when they have either one great year or one bad year.
Not sure that’s the Hurts story though. Going back to Alabama and then Oklahoma, he has improved every year as a passer. Maybe he’s a one year wonder but I don’t think a guy with a work effort like his is going to drop.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure that’s the Hurts story though. Going back to Alabama and then Oklahoma, he has improved every year as a passer. Maybe he’s a one year wonder but I don’t think a guy with a work effort like his is going to drop.
this will be the question for possibly the next two years.
How the DCs adjust to his success from last year & if the DCs do make him faulter. How he adjusts to their adjustments.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this will be the question for possibly the next two years.
How the DCs adjust to his success from last year & if the DCs do make him faulter. How he adjusts to their adjustments.
I guess time will tell. All I’m reading is a bunch of wishing and hoping that a guy who has made steady improvements over the last 7 years of football is going to drop off after establishing himself as one of the better QBs in the league.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess time will tell. All I’m reading is a bunch of wishing and hoping that a guy who has made steady improvements over the last 7 years of football is going to drop off after establishing himself as one of the better QBs in the league.
well rivals will be rivals.
but
if his quarterbacking becomes his best feature not his athleticism or legs. You have will definitely have something there.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well rivals will be rivals.
but
if his quarterbacking becomes his best feature not his athleticism or legs. You have will definitely have something there.
Did you watch him last year? This “he’s a RB” narrative is just broken. He was better from the pocket than he was outside of the pocket last season based on QB metrics.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you watch him last year? This “he’s a RB” narrative is just broken. He was better from the pocket than he was outside of the pocket last season based on QB metrics.
to me he definitely did better as a passer than I expected. He improved more than I expected. but his key plays were still with his legs. Need that key 1st down his legs got it. Now I think the jury is still out & this year is a key year now. He did take defenses by surprise.
He playing on such a complete team might very well be taking away from what he did as well. Not his fault. he had one come from behind victory. Again not his fault he never had to play from behind. Or hell maybe it was his fault LOL
Think we we will get some answers this year.
I'm not bashing him like I normally do running QBs, because he may have very well turned that corner. QB intelligence & ability to pass is how I judge QBs. He will either showcase that this year or revert back to the safe place of running with his legs. IF DCs did there job.

Tom Landry used to talk negatively about Roger Staubach's running early in his career. (nowadays it is glorified) Said he did it from inexperience & being unsure. As Roger caught up to the game. He still ran around but was known for his throwing & ability to win with his arm. he didnt start right away so took a year to pick up the game, then improved.

Worst thing that could happen to me as a Cowboys fan is if Hurts is following that mindset. I would much rather being able to throw him back into the Lamar Jackson/Mike Vick category.

So many complain when an OC tries to stop a running QB from being a running QB. Like Fields. Reason they are doing it is because you wont win superbowls with "just" a running QB. If they dont become Efficient Passers, they wont win it all.

So this year to me will answer a lot of questions.

1. Hurts vs. Unsurprised DC's (with an offseason to prepare)
2. If your team has to play from behind which they really didnt do last year. How he plays from behind?
3. How well he plays as "a passer" when not with a comfortable lead. (kinda goes with #2)

again you guys had such a complete team. This isnt really his fault, but until he faces adversity you really wont know.
rare for a running QB to become a high end passer, but it does happen from time to time.

this is my wait & see year.
Personally I hope he goes back to running. (rooting for the DC's!)

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends how they do it. Some guys luck into having career years because of circumstances. Look at someone like Geno, but Hurts had limitations in 2021 that he eliminated in 2022. That's a new QB, not a guy that just maximized his minimal skillset.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends how they do it. Some guys luck into having career years because of circumstances. Look at someone like Geno, but Hurts had limitations in 2021 that he eliminated in 2022. That's a new QB, not a guy that just maximized his minimal skillset.
Nah brother. It’s written in the stars. He’s just a one year wonder and a RB playing QB. Not even sure why he just doesn’t retire.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A HOF Oline and hurts being young and dumb enough to tuck it and run it, is what makes him good. I mean it’s the same as when rg 3 and out was a rookie until he got an ACL. However, hurts is better and bigger. Maybe he becomes a better pocket passer though

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how defensive fans get when we don't jump to praise "their guy". I have never said Hurts will falter or fail but just that we should wait and see. Hell, I'm still not 100% sold on Josh Allen given his propensity to play "Superman". Something Cam Newton did in his early days. I'm not proclaiming Hurts is like Michael Vick either. I actually like Hurts and his intangibles. But Eagles fans are already clamoring to anoint him and get the gold jacket ready, it seems. You think you guys would step back and be a little more conservative on your take given the recent history of another AMVP that you all thought was destined for greatness.

selkies ftw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Hurts
2. Tua
3. Murray
4. Jones (need to see more)

5. Baker Mayfield sucks at football

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how defensive fans get when we don't jump to praise "their guy". I have never said Hurts will falter or fail but just that we should wait and see. Hell, I'm still not 100% sold on Josh Allen given his propensity to play "Superman". Something Cam Newton did in his early days. I'm not proclaiming Hurts is like Michael Vick either. I actually like Hurts and his intangibles. But Eagles fans are already clamoring to anoint him and get the gold jacket ready, it seems. You think you guys would step back and be a little more conservative on your take given the recent history of another AMVP that you all thought was destined for greatness.

Angry Downton Abbey GIF

Hurts is the best QB in the NFC. Iggles fans have spoken.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why didn’t you reply to my post? I asked you why he’s going to regress now after he’s had 7 years in a row of improvement? I can only assume that what you object to is a style of QB play. Personally, I think that’s rather lazy and if ignores the way the game of football has changed from pound ball teams even running spread offense, high school, and college. The modern QB has to do both. They have to be able to run and they have to be able to pass.

Nobody said he was getting a gold jacket. No one has anointed anyone. Shit, I just asked why you think regression is a possibility.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why didn’t you reply to my post? I asked you why he’s going to regress now after he’s had 7 years in a row of improvement? I can only assume that what you object to is a style of QB play. Personally, I think that’s rather lazy and if ignores the way the game of football has changed from pound ball teams even running spread offense, high school, and college. The modern QB has to do both. They have to be able to run and they have to be able to pass.

Nobody said he was getting a gold jacket. No one has anointed anyone. Shit, I just asked why you think regression is a possibility.
The reason
I don't reply to your post is because I have never, ever even once said he "is going to regress". So why the fuck are you asking me why he's going to regress is stupid. Fuck, you Eagles fans are annoying. Exactly my point of getting defensive for no reason. Never in the post you quoted did I even mention the word regression. Are you fucking illiterate or what?

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether you like it or not, when you say that people are too quick to assess and say “one great year” that implies the possibility of regression. Why is Hurts a candidate for regression?