• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where will this QB class fall in great QB classes?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think this is one of the better QB classes, at least on paper. Where do you feel it will rank against other good QB classes?

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't there always been a lot of "this is a great QB class" through recent years that have been total duds? Genuinely asking because I haven't paid too much attention in years past but that seemed to have been the case a couple of times in the last 10 years.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't there always been a lot of "this is a great QB class" through recent years that have been total duds? Genuinely asking because I haven't paid too much attention in years past but that seemed to have been the case a couple of times in the last 10 years.
Been plenty of dud drafts and even the "good" drafts leave a little to be desired. On paper this really looks like a great QB class, course they could all bomb but pre draft this is one of the really good ones maybe even great ones and I bet it will be reflected in where the QBs get drafted this draft.
First 3 off the board be QBs? I'm betting check. Could 6 QBs go first round? Think it could happen.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been following the draft more than typical this year and it seems like the QB's coming out seem very impressive. I've watched every game McCarthy has played for Michigan and I thought he should have stayed in school another year, but now I'm thinking I'm wrong with all the hype he is getting right now. Kid has a bright future if he continues to progress at a solid pace.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been following the draft more than typical this year and it seems like the QB's coming out seem very impressive. I've watched every game McCarthy has played for Michigan and I thought he should have stayed in school another year, but now I'm thinking I'm wrong with all the hype he is getting right now. Kid has a bright future if he continues to progress at a solid pace.
I think the hype on McCarty is just that .....hype. Not that he's hopeless, just more of a Daniel Jones or maybe Alex Smith would be a better comp. I hear Mayfield as a comp a lot and maybe that the right comp. I too have been way more into evaluating this crop of QBs then usual.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IIRC

2023 was seen as slightly above average
2022 was seen as awful
2021 was hyped similar to this year
2020 was hyped similar to this year
2019 was seen as average
2018 was seen as slightly above average
2017 was seen as slightly below average
2016 was seen as slightly below average
2015 was seen as average

So in terms of hype its top 3 out of the past 10.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the hype on McCarty is just that .....hype. Not that he's hopeless, just more of a Daniel Jones or maybe Alex Smith would be a better comp. I hear Mayfield as a comp a lot and maybe that the right comp. I too have been way more into evaluating this crop of QBs then usual.
McCarthy had a weirdly good combine, and he has excelled at everything asked of him at Michigan (which wasn't much). I'm a huge UM fan and even I thought he wasn't NFL quality until after the combine when he showed some legit talent in that small sample size. I think if he finds a good landing spot (Vikings would be perfect) then he might end up being elite in the NFL

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy had a weirdly good combine, and he has excelled at everything asked of him at Michigan (which wasn't much). I'm a huge UM fan and even I thought he wasn't NFL quality until after the combine when he showed some legit talent in that small sample size. I think if he finds a good landing spot (Vikings would be perfect) then he might end up being elite in the NFL
McCarthy is awesome throwing over the middle of the field and the Vikings live there. That would be the perfect team for him....I hope he goes somewhere else.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarthy is awesome throwing over the middle of the field and the Vikings live there. That would be the perfect team for him....I hope he goes somewhere else.
Yeah I bet you do, lol

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been plenty of dud drafts and even the "good" drafts leave a little to be desired. On paper this really looks like a great QB class, course they could all bomb but pre draft this is one of the really good ones maybe even great ones and I bet it will be reflected in where the QBs get drafted this draft.
First 3 off the board be QBs? I'm betting check. Could 6 QBs go first round? Think it could happen.
If all 6 QBs come off the board in the first round, some teams picking late round one and early round 2 are going to get some steals.

Very interesting draft this will be with the QB, OT and WR talent available.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope never happens.

Tim Couch
Retard donny mac
Akili Smith
Daunte Culpepper
Cade Mcnown

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
History will be the judge on this one but yeah, a lot of hype going into it for sure. I seriously doubt any draft class can stand up to '83 though in the long term. 2018 is the most recent to have 5+ first rounders, isn't it? A little hit and miss on that one but 2 legit elite QBs in Allen and Lamar and despite all the noise, Baker is actually solid. Rosen was a joke and Darnold is a back-up at best. 2020 is looking like the best one in recent memory with Burrow, Herbert, Tua, Love (1st rd) and Hurts (2nd rd) all franchise QBs, it seems. Can't really say if 5 QBs from this class can succeed. Some of the teams they will be going to aren't ideal situations.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith and Baker Mayfield threw it around in college. McCarthy has all the traits. Different type of prospects since the first two had the production.

NFL level prospects at QB really develop into pros from age 22 to age 26. Not before. They have to learn nfl defenses. If they don't bother doing that they usually aren't worth shit in the league. They also have to learn their feel in the pocket. How to keep their poise in there and make their reads. Anyone without the signs of being able to develop those traits has a limited ceiling.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Smith and Baker Mayfield threw it around in college. McCarthy has all the traits. Different type of prospects since the first two had the production.

NFL level prospects at QB really develop into pros from age 22 to age 26. Not before. They have to learn nfl defenses. If they don't bother doing that they usually aren't worth shit in the league. They also have to learn their feel in the pocket. How to keep their poise in there and make their reads. Anyone without the signs of being able to develop those traits has a limited ceiling.

McCarthy is the only one coming from a pro style offense so probably has the best shot, but he needs to sit for a year and should in no way be drafted top 5 (Vikings lol) and start day 1. He'll get destroyed in the NFL.

Jayden reminds me of Justin Fields 2.0. Williams excelled against shit competition and whenever it was a good team he shit the bed...

I don't know too much on Maye but Williams and Daniels have SLOW processors... Williams' time to throw and sacks taken was laugh worthy given his competition - he was playing backyard football.. and against better competition it didn't work. I think both will bust. And Williams has a crap attitude too boot. If things aren't going his way, it seems like he'll just give up.

I'd be fine with Seattle taking McCarthy... in the 3rd round (which isn't gonna happen) and letting him sit a year behind Geno and duke it out with Howell in 2025.... but yah whatever.

I'd also be fine if Seattle passes on all QBs this year (and I think that's EXACTLY what Schneider/Mac are going to do)... there's a strong chance 4-5 QBs and 3-4 WRs are all going top 15... good... that leaves Seattle with STEAL options at TE (Bowers), EDGE (Turner), DL or OL (various).

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Was McCarthy injured/dinged up towards the end of the regular season? He started off great, something like a 19 to 1 TD/int. ratio. But finished the season with only 1 or 2 TD passes. Or did the offense become much more run dominant about halfway through the season?

A question about UofM hoops. With Howard getting fired will they go after SDSU's coach Brian Dutcher since he has ties to the program?

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was McCarthy injured/dinged up towards the end of the regular season? He started off great, something like a 19 to 1 TD/int. ratio. But finished the season with only 1 or 2 TD passes. Or did the offense become much more run dominant about halfway through the season?

A question about UofM hoops. With Howard getting fired will they go after SDSU's coach Brian Dutcher since he has ties to the program?
He was healthy. I think he threw 3 picks on one of the early games.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what JJ McCarthy illustrates is how player age can really make 'watching tape' and 'using stats' really difficult particularly in this post-COVID draft with a lot of older prospects.