• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where will Jimmy G end up next season?

Where does Jimmy G play next season?

• Pittsburgh (Big Ben retiring)

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Carolina (Cam is toast)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Houston (Watson will be traded most likely or in prison)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Indianapolis (Wentz, LOL.)

• Giants (Jones is likely history)

• WFT (they could use a QB)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Vikings

• Saints

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seahawks (RW could be dealt in the offseason if he continues to bitch)

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Potato Salad

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting for San Francisco.
I'm doubtful about Lance working out.

Shocked at the people who dont think that Lance is going to be better than Jimmy.

Newsflash for some evidently: Jimmy kinda sucks.

That's the reason he couldn't get more on the open market from anyone than what the 49ers offered. No one was willing to even make him a top paid backup.

Lance just has to complete some short passes on time and he will be better than what Jimmy was. Because that is all that Jimmy did and he did it without being mobile.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shocked at the people who dont think that Lance is going to be better than Jimmy.

That's the reason he couldn't get more on the open market from anyone than what the 49ers offered. No one was willing to even make him a top paid backup.

Lance just has to complete some short passes on time and he will be better than what Jimmy was. Because that is all that Jimmy did and he did it without being mobile.
His contract was almost 25 mill.....who had that available to use as a backup?

Other than the Browns but they just traded for Watson and paid him a shit ton.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Garoppolo had been a FA in March he would have gotten close to $20M for 2022. The reason he's getting a $7M base now is because of the time it takes to mesh with a new offense and because teams have committed to other QBs. Garoppolo may have been able to get more than $7M as a base elsewhere but he'd be a situation where he'd probably look worse than he would in San Francisco. No other team was going to offer him a $17M ceiling if he came in and played well.

From what i've seen and read about Lance he's still raw and not playoff push ready. I'm not convinced Lance is going to be better in the future than Garoppolo has been in the past.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His contract was almost 25 mill.....who had that available to use as a backup?

Other than the Browns but they just traded for Watson and paid him a shit ton.
No-one was going to pay him $25M. Trade inquiries would have been based on Garoppolo taking a sizeable pay cut.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If Garoppolo had been a FA in March he would have gotten close to $20M for 2022. The reason he's getting a $7M base now is because of the time it takes to mesh with a new offense and because teams have committed to other QBs. Garoppolo may have been able to get more than $7M as a base elsewhere but he'd be a situation where he'd probably look worse than he would in San Francisco. No other team was going to offer him a $17M ceiling if he came in and played well.

From what i've seen and read about Lance he's still raw and not playoff push ready. I'm not convinced Lance is going to be better in the future than Garoppolo has been in the past.

Lance is on the raw side so there will be ups and downs but I expect him to ultimately be a net positive over Jimmy G, especially later on the season when he has experience under his belt and some battle scars to show for it.

The biggest benefit Lance will bring to the 9ers for this season is to the running game. Directly by being able to run the ball himself and while I don't think he's Lamar or Kyler running the ball he's still a very legitimate threat with the ball in his hands that defense have to respect it. Indirectly he helps because he can actually throw it deep and punish defenses for crowding the box to stop the run. Biggest problem the 9ers had with Jimmy is that he couldn't throw deep or outside the numbers so defenses would focus on stopping the run and eat a handful of 15-yard completions and make sure you make that one stop on 3rd down to kill a drive.

Where Jimmy excelled and where Lance still struggles is that short to intermediate throw down the middle of the field. Jimmy was elite with that throw but basically below average everywhere else on the field. It's just Shanahan made the most of it with Deebo and Kittle so he just schemed those guys wide open and they'd take that 15-yard pass and get another 15+ yards with YAC.

Lance just struggles with consistency because he was raw mechanically and it's just something that wasn't going to be completely fixed in an offseason. His accuracy issues while legitimate are a bit overblown. He's going to miss some layups and he's going to throw some balls that are caught but you'd like to see a better location to make it an easier catch but it's not like he's just going to be airmailing balls all over the place and hitting people on the sidelines with the all the time. I mean his last 3 games (the 2 preseason this year and reg against Houston last year) he was 7/11, 4/5, and 16/23. So it's not his accuracy come game time has been horrid or anything though we do need a bigger sample size.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really starting to think Jimmy G stays and ends up replacing Lance around week 7 or 8......the Niners could win a weak NFC and are built to win now. Not struggle with Lance's on the job training. Let Lance start next season when Jimmy G walks in the offseason.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two days ago you seemed so sure

Opinions based on another's opinion is the problem. Be your own man Skippy

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy Jones should be calling San Francisco......

Early season injuries happen.....now you have to try and save the season. Cooper Rush ain't the answer.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well guess we know the answer to this one.

Offhand I think this is one of the bigger slip on a banana peel, do a back flip, and land on your feet moments in football.

The whole situation with Jimmy G has been a mess since they couldn't trade him in March and now refusing to release him and convincing him to take a pay cut and stay one more year is now some accidental genius move on the 9ers part.

I don't think the 9ers can win a Super Bowl with Jimmy G or anything but we at least know he can take a pretty good roster to the playoffs and maybe at least get to a Super Bowl through a fairly ho-hum NFC.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well guess we know the answer to this one.

Offhand I think this is one of the bigger slip on a banana peel, do a back flip, and land on your feet moments in football.

The whole situation with Jimmy G has been a mess since they couldn't trade him in March and now refusing to release him and convincing him to take a pay cut and stay one more year is now some accidental genius move on the 9ers part.

I don't think the 9ers can win a Super Bowl with Jimmy G or anything but we at least know he can take a pretty good roster to the playoffs and maybe at least get to a Super Bowl through a fairly ho-hum NFC.
Any word yet on how bad Lance's injury is?

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart of SF to keep Jimmy Pron star G.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season ending break
For real? Where did you see that?

Nevermind, I saw it. It's hard to know how the Niners should feel about this. Keeping Jimmy G obviously was the right bet, and it paid off quickly, now no more 'when will they pull Trey Lance' drama. But missing a whole year means Lance will be starting over yet again, another year later, having to learn the position.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I haven't been paying enough attention to NFL this year. I was shocked to see Garoppolo still on the 49ers.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For real? Where did you see that?

Nevermind, I saw it. It's hard to know how the Niners should feel about this. Keeping Jimmy G obviously was the right bet, and it paid off quickly, now no more 'when will they pull Trey Lance' drama. But missing a whole year means Lance will be starting over yet again, another year later, having to learn the position.
For the short term, this is probably the best for the 9ers. Jimmy is better than Lance RIGHT NOW. But as you said, putting Lance on the shelf for ANOTHER year is really bad for his development.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the short term, this is probably the best for the 9ers. Jimmy is better than Lance RIGHT NOW. But as you said, putting Lance on the shelf for ANOTHER year is really bad for his development.

Is there any way that it can turn into a good thing?

Hear me out, the kid has very little experience either in college or pros. Would another year studying on the bench (even if he is in a walking boot) and a full off-season of training be so terrible? Call it a second redshirt year.

Jimmy moves on and he's the undisputed starter next year with nobody looking over his shoulder.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hear me out, the kid has very little experience either in college or pros. Would another year studying on the bench (even if he is in a walking boot) and a full off-season of training be so terrible? Call it a second redshirt year.

Jimmy moves on and he's the undisputed starter next year with nobody looking over his shoulder.
He needs to be on the field. You can read until your eyes bleed, but if you don’t do it, are you really learning?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

If this was his rookie year I'd say it could benefit him but I think he's gained mostly what could be gained from the bench.

The two things he needs which is live game experience and continuing to refine and improve his mechanics can't be done with a broken ankle.

My only hope is that he can be fully recovered from the ankle that it doesn't impact his routine in the offseason and that he can at least work on his mechanics.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this was his rookie year I'd say it could benefit him but I think he's gained mostly what could be gained from the bench.

The two things he needs which is live game experience and continuing to refine and improve his mechanics can't be done with a broken ankle.

My only hope is that he can be fully recovered from the ankle that it doesn't impact his routine in the offseason and that he can at least work on his mechanics.

That is what I was getting at. This isn't ideal obviously, but it really didn't seem like he was ready at all. He's 22. There are college Seniors and Super-Seniors that are playing next Saturday older than him.

I know high draft picks that you trade a ton of capital for are expected to contribute immediately and perform well. But Aaron Rodgers benefits from 3 years on the pine, while Alex Smith was thrown to the Wolves.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That is what I was getting at. This isn't ideal obviously, but it really didn't seem like he was ready at all. He's 22. There are college Seniors and Super-Seniors that are playing next Saturday older than him.

I know high draft picks that you trade a ton of capital for are expected to contribute immediately and perform well. But Aaron Rodgers benefits from 3 years on the pine, while Alex Smith was thrown to the Wolves.
I don't think he was any less ready than any other QB in his situation. People just got way to focused on the game last week against the Bears when he actually wasn't that bad in that game given the conditions. I mean people bring up the fact it was raining for the Bears too but Fields completed 8 passes for 120ish yards with one of them being an arm punt for a 51 yard TD and 3 were dump offs to the running back so it's not like he crushed it out there either.

Assuming the injury doesn't impact his offseason work it's not the end of the world but it's still a terrible blow to Lance's development and a wasted year on his rookie contract.

I know Jimmy G is the best option for today but we also know his ceiling and that's probably not winning a Super Bowl. That's why you take your lumps with Lance now so you hope he can develop into the guy that wins you the Super Bowl but unless the 9ers win it this year it's just a wasted year for the team and they only benefit if Jimmy G plays well enough a team gives him a somewhat lucrative deal to they could possibly get a 3rd round comp pick.