• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where do the Lakers go from here...?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know one thing- and its the thing that worries me--- LeBron will not come back to Cleveland if he does not think he can compete with Boston since he does not want to set himself up to lose against Kyrie. If the Cavs cannot parlay the Brooklyn pick and whatever else into another player it gets sticky.

And Philly. There are a couple really good teams set to fight it out for the EC supremacy....

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
possibly? sure...probable? def. not

i just saw a philly team with a quite a bit more talented youngsters crap themselves. You have to go through those battles a couple times before you are ready--- shit clarkson, nance hood are just about in their mid twenties and needed this postseason to figure out what its really about....is it possible ball and ingram and kuzma are ready early? sure...is it probable? definitely definitely not.

Philly doesn't have a guy like James to show them how. They have a couple role players that have playoff experience.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I 'd suppose it would depend on what players they have to give up.

Out of the young core, the only one they would have to give up would be Randle. He's the only one looking at a big raise.

There's even a way that they could keep him, but it's pretty much a long shot. They'd have to be able to get completely out from under Deng's contract (which ain't happening) and even then, I think Randle would have to be willing to give them a discount.

Anyway, should there be a seperate thread for this?

Probably.

Posters here for the Cavs/Raptors series prob dont care about this.

Not sure there's a series left to care about. lol

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Philly. There are a couple really good teams set to fight it out for the EC supremacy....
its a good point---- but a boston team without kyrie and hayward is hardly the warriors or rockets.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also understand that position.
My question would be though, is being relevant again ( assuming no titles) worth the eventual fall back to irrelevance once he leaves, declines, retires?

If they sign him as a free agent?

Yes. Because the young core would still be a low end playoff team without him.

If they give up a bunch of assets? Then it would only be worth it if they won a title. And I am not sure how likely that is.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its a good point---- but a boston team without kyrie and hayward is hardly the warriors or rockets.

You're going to see how good they are when the Cavs play them.

Stevens is a better coach than Brown and 10 times better than Lue.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If they give up a bunch of assets? Then it would only be worth it if they won a title. And I am not sure how likely that is.

My man.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're going to see how good they are when the Cavs play them.

Stevens is a better coach than Brown and 10 times better than Lue.
i mean i was hoping lebron would help hood clarkson and nance more- but the young guys really, when its all said and done, ahve to figure it out on their own by going through those battles.

Yah- Boston is well coached, and very mentally tough and they have some solid perimeter defenders--- they are more like the Pacers in that---- but the Cavs have been there, have a good veteran team, LeBron is playing his best etc.

I would highly doubt Cavs/Celts would go 7....im going Cleveland in 5 or 6. Finishing it off in 6 at home sounds about right.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol...in the West? you still celebrating cinco-de-mayo?

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the Lakers get James and PG, Cousins, or Leonard.....

they could win a title within 2-3 years....

GS is going to have to make a decision in the next 2-3 years on keeping the band together.....

Houston is legit but let's see how D'Antonio, Harden, and CP finish this season before saying they're a legit contender.....they have serious decisions to make this summer.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
possibly? sure...probable? def. not

i just saw a philly team with a quite a bit more talented youngsters crap themselves. You have to go through those battles a couple times before you are ready--- shit clarkson, nance hood are just about in their mid twenties and needed this postseason to figure out what its really about....is it possible ball and ingram and kuzma are ready early? sure...is it probable? definitely definitely not.

The difference would be that Philly doesn't have Lebron and PG. So, late in close games, we see Philly having to rely on their very talented young players like Simmons and Embiid and their inexperience shows.

Much of the Celtics roster was in the playoffs just last season and they have a steady, experienced guy like Horford to help the young guys. Horford certainly isn't as talented as Embiid, but he's been outplaying him late in games.

Late in close playoff game, the Lakers would be relying on Lebron and PG much more than the young guys. That's something the Sixers just don't have.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference would be that Philly doesn't have Lebron and PG. So, late in close games, we see Philly having to rely on their very talented young players like Simmons and Embiid and their inexperience shows.

Much of the Celtics roster was in the playoffs just last season and they have a steady, experienced guy like Horford to help the young guys. Horford certainly isn't as talented as Embiid, but he's been outplaying him late in games.

Late in close playoff game, the Lakers would be relying on Lebron and PG much more than the young guys. That's something the Sixers just don't have.
sa i said- Sixers are playing an injury decimated Boston team a lot of people might bow out first round compared to the Warriors or Rockets though. BIIIIIG difference.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't picking up steam as was expected.....everybody still on the Cavs-Raps thread.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you?

They won 35 games this year with a core of first and second year players leading the way. Ingram missed 23 games, Ball missed 30.

We are talking 3 years from now. These guys will improve and at least a couple other West teams ahead of them will fall apart. And yet you are implying it is crazy to say they project to be a low end playoff team worth their current core in 2021 after 2 years of learning from LeBron? is that really far fetched? Cmon now.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers get James and PG, Cousins, or Leonard.....

they could win a title within 2-3 years....

GS is going to have to make a decision in the next 2-3 years on keeping the band together.....

Houston is legit but let's see how D'Antonio, Harden, and CP finish this season before saying they're a legit contender.....they have serious decisions to make this summer.
I think NEXT offseason- depending on what Klay does- its gonna get interesting for GSW

if they keep Klay itll mean paying well well past what any one has ever done in the history of sports. After next season i think there is a 90% chance the Warriors big 4 is no more.

After that once Draymond comes up its a 99.99999999999% chance the Big 4 will no longer be there.

Its not the fualt of the Warriors or them being cheap etc....the only reason they were able to do what they did is that Curry was on a very very cheap extension and they locked Klay and Draymond into extensions before the cap blew up.

It will just be the CBA doing what the CBA is supposed to do---- no team can carry 4 max players in the repeater tax.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sa i said- Sixers are playing an injury decimated Boston team a lot of people might bow out first round compared to the Warriors or Rockets though. BIIIIIG difference.

Not sure what that has to do with the Lakers would have Lebron and PG and the Sixers don't.

If the Sixers had just Lebron, I seriously doubt they would be in their current predicament.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you?

They won 35 games this year with a core of first and second year players leading the way. Ingram missed 23 games, Ball missed 30.

We are talking 3 years from now. These guys will improve and at least a couple other West teams ahead of them will fall apart. And yet you are implying it is crazy to say they project to be a low end playoff team worth their current core in 2021 after 2 years of learning from LeBron? is that really far fetched? Cmon now.
Are you?

a 46 win team missed the playoffs.

As Apu in the Simpsons used to say...

thank you come again.

oh 3 years from now? sure--- but like i said-- I dont see Ball or Ingram - either one being stars.....

you see guys that are gonna be stars early on usually- Porzingis, RW, LeBron, Kyrie, Simmons, Embiid, Wall,--prob donovan mitchel, giannis ------- i mean- do Ball and Ingram even look like Booker or Wiggins or Jokic or Beale or Hayward or Oladipo?

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,551.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a 46 win team missed the playoffs.

As Apu in the Simpsons used to say...

thank you come again.

In the first year with James and another star, the Lakers would win 50-52 games. In the first year.....