• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Where do the Lakers go from here...?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, then i'll ask this question. how good of a "teacher" do you think he is...?

in fact, from what i've gathered is he doesn't really put his energy into that area, which is why the narrative on his "leadership" is overblown...

And I'm not really even talking about teaching......youngsters just being around a guy like James rubs off. The competitiveness, the drive, the desire, etc.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’ve also said that you’re a proponent of tanking/ losing for multiple years to acquire assets like Philly did.
Isn’t that what the Lakers are in the midst of?
I dont think its unreasonable to not want to give up multiple young assets for a player of James’ age.
Especially when its 0 guarantee you are winning a title over the next couple of seasons.
the precise reason why you acquire so many young assets is to either lure or trade for a guy like LeBron if you ask me.

Now the Lakers got a little unlucky considering they owed picks to people from old trades, they had to deal one of their high picks just to get rid of Mozgov, and their other 2 high picks seem to be very good players but hardly the superstars you are hoping you get at the top of the lotto.....I mean you def make a good point when you say the lotto guarantees you nothing- for every Embiid or Simmons there is a Noel or Okafor--- or for every LeBron and Kyrie there is a Bennett or Waiters etc. (unless you are OKC and just hit and hit and hit like Durant, RW, Harden, yeesh) but you want to give yourself as many chances as possible because eventually you WILL get that superstar talent and you personally saw up close and personal how that helps a team just a couple weeks ago.

Having LeBron definitely does not guarantee you a title--- hes the best player in basketall. He is definitely the guy in the league that gives you the best chance and it seems to me that he will likely continue being the best player in the league for at least the next 2 seasons.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok, then i'll ask this question. how good of a "teacher" do you think he is...?

in fact, from what i've gathered is he doesn't really put his energy into that area, which is why the narrative on his "leadership" is overblown...

Neither was Kobe until the last couple of seasons when he turned himself into "Uncle Kobe".

If guys really want to get better, they will do one of 2 things. Either ask him for help or just watch what he does. How he prepares, how he studies film, works out, handles pressure situations, balances his time, etc., etc.

A lot of guys learned from Kobe simply by watching what he did. They can do the same with Lebron if he doesn't want to take the time with them.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.
If LeBron wants to go to L.A., im sure Magic will take him.
Does it instantly make you better?
Of course.
Is it worth it if it gets you a title or 2?
Of course.
Is winning a title or 2 a probability?
I would say no.
So, if thats accurate, long term you are better off staying on the path you’re on now IMO.
I do agree---- even with LeBron and possibly George, i dont think the Lakers would contend for a title and are not likely to even make a Finals considering Houston and GSW would still be better. That I agree with. AT least not for the next 2 years.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
think i'll look at Jordan Clarkson and Larry Nance Jr. a little while longer to see if that's true...

Clarkson def benefitted from being around Kobe. Nance? Role player......not quite the same as Ingram and Kuzma who could benefit from playing with James. Ingram could be a star and Kuzma could be very good and in the top 30-35 range one day.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming he doesn't have a major injury in next 2-3 seasons.....even when he starts to decline, he'll still be in the top 20-25 range as a player IMO.
For sure. he COULD be a top 10 player for the next 5 years....but as unbelievable as his longevity has been- the older and older he gets the less believable the prolonged greatness we have seen is likely to go on.

I mean shit- once the dude hits 35 hes going to have to prove it on a yearly basis since it would be RIDICULOUS to be the best player in the league at 35 or even top 10--- but its damn hard to best against him doing it too.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither was Kobe until the last couple of seasons when he turned himself into "Uncle Kobe".

If guys really want to get better, they will do one of 2 things. Either ask him for help or just watch what he does. How he prepares, how he studies film, works out, handles pressure situations, balances his time, etc., etc.

A lot of guys learned from Kobe simply by watching what he did. They can do the same with Lebron if he doesn't want to take the time with them.

This.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do agree---- even with LeBron and possibly George, i dont think the Lakers would contend for a title and are not likely to even make a Finals considering Houston and GSW would still be better. That I agree with. AT least not for the next 2 years.

Yeah, it would really depend on how much the youngsters improved. If they took a big jump...then the Lakers might be able to contend right away.

If the improvement was more incremental, then it would be a couple of years.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is there an assumption that the Lakers would fall back into irrelevance when Lebron retires/leaves?

We all know that Lebron won't be coming to the Lakers by himself. The most rumored guy to be coming to the Lakers with him is PG, who is still young. The Lakers also have a good young core that would be learning from Lebron and whoever came with him.

Cleveland fell apart when he left them the first time because he was all they had. However, if not for Bosh's health issues, the Heat were likely still at least good enough for the ECF after Lebron left.

I suppose it would depend on what players they have to give up.

Anyway, should there be a seperate thread for this?
Posters here for the Cavs/Raptors series prob dont care about this.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure. he COULD be a top 10 player for the next 5 years....but as unbelievable as his longevity has been- the older and older he gets the less believable the prolonged greatness we have seen is likely to go on.

I mean shit- once the dude hits 35 hes going to have to prove it on a yearly basis since it would be RIDICULOUS to be the best player in the league at 35 or even top 10--- but its damn hard to best against him doing it too.

I think he'll play like he is for 2, maybe 3 years. Then be a 18-20ppg, 7rpg, and 4-5apg type player. Doubt he plays past 37-38 because he won't want to play at a level less than what he's used to. I can't see him playing at 39-40 with everything else he's involved with.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on now. He's gone to 7 straight Finals. You think the Heat go to 4 straight w/o LeBron? Or that the Cavs go to 3 straight w/o him? I just don't think his leadership is overblown.

teaching, bro. leadership from a talent standpoint isn't the same as nurturing...

he's all about his "legacy", not training up a bunch of "younguns"...

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This, exactly, is my point.
So, if correct, we are now trying to guess what a 36 year old LeBron will have to offer, and at what expense both financially and giving up assets.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty much the same but really want to contend more than just sticking with the kids. The last several years have been tough on me.

I took a different attitude. I think we all knew that when the Dwight/Nash deal blew up, the Lakers were in for a long road to hoe.

It took a couple of seasons to get Nash off the books. Kobe was coming off a blown Achilles and the Lakers gave him a max deal that left them cap space for 1 other max guy. No one was coming to play with a 1 legged Kobe.

Then, when Kobe retired, they were just too young to get any FA's to seriously consider them. So, I was good with watching the young guys develop and had fun with that.

Now, they are at a bit of a crossroads. They can stick with the youth movement or they can go big game hunting. I think either will work, one will just work faster than the other.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if correct, we are now trying to guess what a 36 year old LeBron will have to offer, and at what expense both financially and giving up assets.

Here's the thing, just having James around could benefit Ingram, Ball, and Kuzma. They could learn from him and he's going to rub off on them regardless. Once he leaves, that experience will be invaluable.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its why i said they should go after Cousins and George--- 2 guys that lineup a lot better....

let George get comfortable next year, Cousins work his way back- maybe you get cousins for a small discount because of the injury--- you get another pick next year--- the young guys develop another year...and cousins and george fit a lot better with ball then lebron does. A pg that needs the ball in his hands and cant shoot is like the VERY last thing you want playing with lebron as you know from his miami days.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calling it now.....if we get James and another player.....PG or Cousins or even Leonard.....we win a title in the next 2-3 years.

Just remember lately time has been vindicating me a lot lately.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its why- while i think there IS a real chance he goes to LA- maybe 35%- i still think the CAvs are the favorite.

I mean- maybe the Sixers or Houston but then the mercenary thing comes into play--- i dunno...itll be interesting

it of course depends on a ton of things---- what moves the Cavs make, how far the CAvs go, what moves the LAkers make, if Philly wants to just make an offer for Leonard, etc....

I know one thing- and its the thing that worries me--- LeBron will not come back to Cleveland if he does not think he can compete with Boston since he does not want to set himself up to lose against Kyrie. If the Cavs cannot parlay the Brooklyn pick and whatever else into another player it gets sticky.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
going into this off-season with nearly 70 mill in cap space but having no luck with gaining major free agents in a their recent history. but with Rob and Magic calling the shots we MIGHT be looking at a little hope...

so Lakers fans AND non Lakers fans, even detractors, which direction do YOU think the Lakers should go...?

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it when we have spirited and civil discussions like this......it's a huge reason we call come here.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it would really depend on how much the youngsters improved. If they took a big jump...then the Lakers might be able to contend right away.

If the improvement was more incremental, then it would be a couple of years.
possibly? sure...probable? def. not

i just saw a philly team with a quite a bit more talented youngsters crap themselves. You have to go through those battles a couple times before you are ready--- shit clarkson, nance hood are just about in their mid twenties and needed this postseason to figure out what its really about....is it possible ball and ingram and kuzma are ready early? sure...is it probable? definitely definitely not.