• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's with all the Manziel haters?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it at all. The Russell Wilson comparison is way off base as well. You will be hard-pressed to find a better leader in the league from the QB position than Wilson. Also, Wilson fell into a perfect situation by NOT being picked in the early 1st round. Seattle had the defense and the running game to allow them not to put crushing pressure on Wilson to be THE guy.

Manziel is going to go to a terrible team, most likely with a make-shift OL (that's typically who's picking early). We'll see pretty quickly how "team-first" he is, and what he can actually do at the pro level. The Tebow comparisons aren't strict, more of a similarity in that they both excelled at the college level with very unusual styles, but that clearly doesn't guarantee success at the next level.

ozarkram

Animale rurale
Hoopla Cash
$ 190.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it at all. The Russell Wilson comparison is way off base as well. You will be hard-pressed to find a better leader in the league from the QB position than Wilson. Also, Wilson fell into a perfect situation by NOT being picked in the early 1st round. Seattle had the defense and the running game to allow them not to put crushing pressure on Wilson to be THE guy.

Manziel is going to go to a terrible team, most likely with a make-shift OL (that's typically who's picking early). We'll see pretty quickly how "team-first" he is, and what he can actually do at the pro level. The Tebow comparisons aren't strict, more of a similarity in that they both excelled at the college level with very unusual styles, but that clearly doesn't guarantee success at the next level.
My goodness that is almost the complete description of Sam Bradford's career went to a terrible team,make-shift OL. And clearly not much success at the next level. Johnny sounds like Ram material. :lol:

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My goodness that is almost the complete description of Sam Bradford's career went to a terrible team,make-shift OL. And clearly not much success at the next level. Johnny sounds like Ram material. :lol:

:laugh3: that's funny stuff!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone here is basing their opinions on SportsCenter or especially Hoge.

Where is the precedent for Manziel to be successful in the NFL? RG3? He lasted less than a season before he was beaten to a pulp, and he's much more talented than Manziel. Flutie, lol? Tebow? Tarkenton was drafted 53 years ago and was a third rounder.
I've seen some comparisons to that guy in Seattle who just won it all, not a bad precedent I guess if he goes to the right team.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I guess I should have read through the thread before posting the Wilson comparison. :doh:

If Manziel matures and is willing to learn, he'll be fine. I really hate to think this but his best fit is in Minnesota and working with Norv Turner. Norv did a lot to develop Rivers into an NFL quarterback and if you think back, Rivers was a little more mobile at NC State than he is now. Spielman also needs to save his job this season and if Manziel can put together a scat rookie campaign like Vick and even Tebow once did, he'll be back for 2015.
Like you, I really hate to think this however I think he is a best fit for Arizona. Like Wilson in Seattle, he will do well on a team with a stout defense and like working with Turner in Minnesota, he will get to work with Bruce Arians. Look what Bruce has been able to do with both Luck and Palmer.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You see many aTm games this year? His offense was 2 guys, JFF and Mike Evans. With him that team doesn't go to a bowl game. He's the single scariest player I've ever seen play. When he was on the other sideline Thanksgiving weekend I was never comfortable because he had electricity I'd never seen. I had high expectations and he's a whole other animal in person. The dude didn't get much help from his team last year so I don't really see validity to that argument.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You see many aTm games this year? His offense was 2 guys, JFF and Mike Evans. With him that team doesn't go to a bowl game. He's the single scariest player I've ever seen play. When he was on the other sideline Thanksgiving weekend I was never comfortable because he had electricity I'd never seen. I had high expectations and he's a whole other animal in person. The dude didn't get much help from his team last year so I don't really see validity to that argument.

That's college. I just don't see his crazy play holding up in the NFL. You did leave out Matthews though. 2 teammates that are essentially 1st round locks isn't exactly an empty cupboard.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm... he will do well on a team with a stout defense??? If he slips into the second round, I would have no issues grabbing him to hold a clipboard and push Bradford. I think personally he will not make it out of the teens. The guy wins and has more ability than some other previous college stars that "just won". I agree that Minnesota at #8 is where he fits best unless Bortles or Bridgewater falls to #8. Another place he might be suited to learn how to be an NFL QB?? New England late in round 1. You know Belicheat has some sort of magic fairy dust that takes unheralded QB's and turns them into Tom EFFING Brady. :lol:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt any of these guys slide to the second round past the QB needy teams again to be available to the Rams. If that were to happen, it's worth a shot.

I doubt New England uses a #1 on a QB (they still have Mallet); they would be better served adding a TE.