• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's the difference...

RangersReds03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference seems obvious.

Boogard came up behind a player just standing there and took a cheap shot.

Burrows and Staal were battling and it looked like they both committed penalties. Burrows didn't get called, but that's what happens on retaliation sometimes.

In terms of dirtiness, not even close - the Boogard play was classless.

RangersReds03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know for me the intent is the same. And they weren't exactly battling out for long they come together for the first time at the 6 second mark he hits him in the nuts by the 9 second mark.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Burrows had the decency of looking Staal in the eye when he rattled his nuts.

/twas a missed call no doubt. shoulda been 2 each.

mbhhofr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Boogard's was a spear. Burrows had his stick between Staal's legs and lifted his stick into his crotch. He didn't spear him. Penalties aren't called by one's intent. Spearing is a major. Burrows could have been given a minor.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boogard's was a spear. Burrows had his stick between Staal's legs and lifted his stick into his crotch. He didn't spear him. Penalties aren't called by one's intent. Spearing is a major. Burrows could have been given a minor.

Not entirely true. At the ref's discretion, he can call a penalty if he believes there was intent to injure on a play even if the person missed.

For example, if a guy swings his stick like a baseball bat at another player's head but that guy ducks out of the way quick enough and doesn't get hit, the ref can call the intent.

Same with an intended spear. Which this wasn't.

mbhhofr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Not entirely true. At the ref's discretion, he can call a penalty if he believes there was intent to injure on a play even if the person missed.

For example, if a guy swings his stick like a baseball bat at another player's head but that guy ducks out of the way quick enough and doesn't get hit, the ref can call the intent.

Same with an intended spear. Which this wasn't.

There is no penalty in the book for INTENT To Injure. It's ATTEMPT To Injure. The referee is not a mind reader he doesn't know what the player's intention is, but he knows what he attempts to do.

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, this is in the rule book, and it does say Intent to injure:

40.2 Automatic Suspension – Category I - Any player who deliberately strikes an official and causes injury or who deliberately applies physical force in any manner against an official with intent to injure, or who in any manner attempts to injure an official shall be automatically suspended for not less than twenty (20) games. (For the purpose of the rule, “intent to injure” shall mean any physical force which a player or goalkeeper knew or should have known could reasonably be expected to cause injury.)

Official Rules - Rule 40: Physical Abuse of Officials - NHL.com - Rules

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give you that, but it's in relation to an attack on an official, not on a player.

I knew what you meant, I was just going by the fact that you said it was nowhere in the rule book.

I'm guilty of nitpicking on this one, sorry. :D

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
between these two plays?
YouTube - Derek Boogaard Spears Chris Neil Oct 2, 2010

YouTube - Alexandre Burrows/Marc Staal Incident (January 13 2011)

Boogaard was given a 5 min. major, pretty sure a game misconduct and suspended 2 or 3 games, which he deserved. Burrows besides getting NOTHING, drew a penalty on the play.

The first one the guy comes up from behind and slashes the guy in front in the nuts. The second one they were battling and the only real penalty I saw was the slash by the Rangers guy (pretty nasty one). He should have been fined

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burrows had the decency of looking Staal in the eye when he rattled his nuts.

/twas a missed call no doubt. shoulda been 2 each.

I missed that :L

Edit: Now I see it. I think it was the skating up from behind that got the first guy suspended. I think in the second video, he should have gotten at least a fine. JMO

Last edited by a moderator: