• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What's the deal with Deon Sanders?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm not even sure he's a good coach, but he doesn't necessarily have to be because he's shown that he can recruit, motivate and hire a good staff. In todays game, those 3 things are more important for a head coach than whether or not he himself is a good coach.
Him being a good coach I think is it the primary thing. Basically he is being crowned without really doing anything. He did well at Jackson State but he also had more talent than anyone. He’s coached at Colorado and has beaten a team who is going to be fighting for bowl eligibility and two absolutely terrible teams. I think he is good for the sport as he is basically like Mike Leach but we are Americans, when the media builds someone up so high we like to see them fall.

But I think nearly everyone in the country wants to see Colorado beat Oregon, even the most staunch Deion haters should hate Oregon more.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hatred for colorado outweighs my love for Coach Sanders.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Him being a good coach I think is it the primary thing. Basically he is being crowned without really doing anything. He did well at Jackson State but he also had more talent than anyone. He’s coached at Colorado and has beaten a team who is going to be fighting for bowl eligibility and two absolutely terrible teams. I think he is good for the sport as he is basically like Mike Leach but we are Americans, when the media builds someone up so high we like to see them fall.

But I think nearly everyone in the country wants to see Colorado beat Oregon, even the most staunch Deion haters should hate Oregon more.
That's false if going be message board and social media (which is bad measuring sticks I know). There are MANY people out there waiting for him to fail to jump in and say "I told you so". He makes a lot of people uncomfortable and he's non-traditional in a sense.

There are certainly A LOT more eyeballs on Colorado now and yes many want to see him succeed, but just as many I would imagine want to see him fail. Oregon has smashed Colorado almost every year in the last decade outside of 2016. No one cared if we were even playing in this game. So even getting hated on is more attention the program has seen in years.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people have a few issues with Deion.

Personally, my only issue was what he did to the players that were already there when he took over. Him coming in talking about "I'm coming" and getting rid of them, having a team meeting where he was yelling at them, basically saying "pack your shit and get out", recording it and letting it get out publicly was bullshit. Those players didn't deserve to be embarrassed like that.

I'm sure those kids were smart enough to know that many of them were going to be replaced, but there was no reason to make it public like that. By way of comparison, when Lincoln Riley took over at USC, he made a lot of changes to the roster, but didn't do it by publicly embarrassing them. The only time anyone heard anything were just brief announcements as players went into the portal.

I think some, especially other coaches, feel he "skipped the line'. I don't have an issue with that because that's on the schools that hired him. What's he supposed to do? Turn down the offer? Every one of those folks would have "skipped the line" if they could. Also, so far, he's been successful and it's not like he took over for Saban at Bama. He has taken over programs that were in bad shape.

As for the Coach Prime stuff...I find it kind of silly...but dude has been known as Prime Time or Prime more than he's been known as Deion since college. So it's kind of meh as far as I'm concerned.

I agree he could have handled things a little better, as far as the 20 or so-odd kids he told to get out.

Saw in a different comment you're not sure if he's really a good coach. Very fair thing to say. He's off to a helluva start though. I'm thinking the Ducks might thump the Buffs tomorrow.

But he's doing something right in Boulder. I love this part. I hope Vegas takes a beating on the Buffs this season. Their over/under for wins before the season was 3. They already have 3 wins. And I'd like to know how much Vegas lost last week when the foolishly made CU 23 point favorites over CSU.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hatred for colorado outweighs my love for Coach Sanders.

I have never understood why diehard Buffs fans consider the Huskers a rival. I think it's more jealousy.

The all time series is 49-21-2. That's not a rivalry. That's getting your ass kicked by your neighbor.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get people don't like him bc he comes off as arrogant or cocky. The way he goes about some things can rub people wrong way. I didn't know this but he has completed turned his life around. He was at a bad point in his life and tried to commit suicide. Ever since then he has been a Christian and it led to his faith in God, sometimes life-changing events can do that to someone.
Whether you like how he is doing it or not he is encouraging people to watch the game of football and trying to make it more exciting for the player in HIS ways. The players seem to be having fun which is most important. I'm sure they will start losing games but that is expected.

Sanders: After suicide attempt, life turned around

Last edited:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's false if going be message board and social media (which is bad measuring sticks I know). There are MANY people out there waiting for him to fail to jump in and say "I told you so". He makes a lot of people uncomfortable and he's non-traditional in a sense.

There are certainly A LOT more eyeballs on Colorado now and yes many want to see him succeed, but just as many I would imagine want to see him fail. Oregon has smashed Colorado almost every year in the last decade outside of 2016. No one cared if we were even playing in this game. So even getting hated on is more attention the program has seen in years.
I think you are massively buying into the narrative of he makes people uncomfortable. After the TCU game they were a great story with all kinds of praise from nearly everyone. It was once people started to act like Nebraska and Colorado State and even decent teams. All the Colorado is being disrespected for being 21 point underdogs is obnoxious when Hunter is out and Colorado State is a dog shit team.

DetroitDevil

Consoles are for ages 3 and up & broke adults.
Supporting Member Level 2
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How exactly does he make people uncomfortable?

Also for anyone silly enough to play the I told you so card once CU loses this season should keep in mind that the Buffs only won one game last season.

He's already changed the culture of CU football in a positive way. And he ain't done yet.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also for anyone silly enough to play the I told you so card once CU loses this season should keep in mind that the Buffs only won one game last season.

He's already changed the culture of CU football in a positive way. And he ain't done yet.

Yeah, I'm not buying into the "they only won 1 game last year" thing. This isn't that team. He brought in like 83 new players. Give him credit for getting those players to gel enough to get to 3-0.

But the team he's coaching is not the team that only won 1 game last year.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I'm not buying into the "they only won 1 game last year" thing. This isn't that team. He brought in like 83 new players. Give him credit for getting those players to gel enough to get to 3-0.

That makes his coaching effort even more impressive.

He’s flipped a program from doormat losers to must watch TV in like nine months.

Colorado hadn’t won 3 in a row since 2018.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's made a dumpster fire of program relevant by the end of week one.

And it doesn't matter how many kids he brought with him. It's still the same program that's only had one winning season (2016) since 2005.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He’s flipped a program from doormat losers to must watch TV in like nine months.

But that doesn’t make any sense. What does this Colorado team have to do with anything from the past? When a team has completely different players I think it is foolish to say talk about the past.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that doesn’t make any sense. What does this Colorado team have to do with anything from the past? When a team has completely different players I think it is foolish to say talk about the past.
It’s a program.

Each year has a different team.

This current one is massively better than all the recent ones.

Hope that helps.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Image result for deion sanders we coming meme

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a CU grad and lived in Boulder/Louisville areas. Without going into the "R" word here, he's bringing a lot of culture that classic white Karen America don't like. Am I in that group, definitely not. I'm a minority myself and I recall the intentional and unintentional racism I experienced when I was in CO. But he's very polarizing regardless and I love what he's bringing to CU as an alum.

JonBlaze

KFFL Alum
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are massively buying into the narrative of he makes people uncomfortable. After the TCU game they were a great story with all kinds of praise from nearly everyone. It was once people started to act like Nebraska and Colorado State and even decent teams. All the Colorado is being disrespected for being 21 point underdogs is obnoxious when Hunter is out and Colorado State is a dog shit team.
Part of it is me seeing the trash that strolls through the comments and message boards that I am a member of. There was as much "TCU isn't close to the same team as last year" narrative as there was praise. Who was praising him? Who was hating? The demographics were pretty clear.

Colorado St is a shit team. No one affiliated with CU or it's fandom is "proud" of that win. But when you're on the brink of losing to an in-state rival and you pull it off, there's excitement to that. The whole days worth of media coverage and such fueled that too. But yet I see CU being trashed for it's student fans for rushing the field against a shitty MWC team. The field goal posts are moving. Prime/CU get praised and trashed regardless of what they do. If they somehow beat Oregon (I am not thinking that will happen) maybe more will buy in. But if they get smoked, the haters will be coming out in flocks I guarantee it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's made a dumpster fire of program relevant by the end of week one.

And it doesn't matter how many kids he brought with him. It's still the same program that's only had one winning season (2016) since 2005.

It's not that what he has done isn't impressive, he just hasn't done it with the team that went 1-11 last year. He brought in over 80 new players. There is almost no one left from that team.

USC was 4-8 the season before Lincoln Riley took over. He gets credit for the 11-win season and for the 3-0 start this season, but he didn't turn around a 4-8 team because a lot of those players were gone. He didn't bring in nearly as many new players as Deion did either.

I mean, what took the Lakers from a team with a losing record at the trade deadline to a team that made the WCF last season? Darvin Hams coaching? Or the fact that they got rid of Westbrook and brought in players who actually fit around Lebron and AD? Ham did a fine job. But it was improving the pieces around Lebron and AD more than his coaching that got them there.

Again, not knocking what Deion has done. I'm just saying that this idea that he turned around a 1-win team is false.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s a program.

Each year has a different team.

This current one is massively better than all the recent ones.

Hope that helps.

Each year doesn't have a different team. Yes, there are players who graduate or who transfer or leave for the NFL, but most of the team returns. That wasn't the case at Colorado. They replaced 83 players. That kind of turnover had never happened before.

Hope that helps.