• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What years did the BCS get it wrong

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2008 was bogus. Should have been Texas. It seems Oklahoma has always gotten the nod in the computers when there is a tie for the B12...

2011 was bad, but anyone who knows college football knows that Alabama and LSU were undisputedly the best teams in the country that year. Their common opponent scores were nearly identical. They destroyed everyone in their way. Only Alabama would have beaten LSU that year. Okie Lite might have scored 10 points on LSU... and then give up around 30. They lost to Iowa State... choke or not, they had their chance to shoe in the BCS Championship and blew it. They BLEW IT. They gave Alabama a chance. It's not Alabama's fault. It's Choklahoma State's fault. Nothing else needs to be said.

Likely Bama and LSU were the best. LSU had probably the best resume of any BCS participant of the BCS era. I really don't get the choked it thing on OSU. They lost on Thurs night game to a conference foe on the road. Not sure why losing to ISU is a huge difference. Are we really supposed to believe that if OSU beat ISU by 30 and lost to OU in overtime that ISU would have been in? Here are the facts in December of that year:
1. OSU has the highest SOS amongst the 1 loss teams
2. LSU beat Bama on the road

The the biggest unknown was nobody knew if LSU would beat OSU. We could project and give opinions, but nobody could say it was a fact that LSU would beat OSU.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Likely Bama and LSU were the best. LSU had probably the best resume of any BCS participant of the BCS era. I really don't get the choked it thing on OSU. They lost on Thurs night game to a conference foe on the road. Not sure why losing to ISU is a huge difference. Are we really supposed to believe that if OSU beat ISU by 30 and lost to OU in overtime that ISU would have been in? Here are the facts in December of that year:
1. OSU has the highest SOS amongst the 1 loss teams
2. LSU beat Bama on the road

The the biggest unknown was nobody knew if LSU would beat OSU. We could project and give opinions, but nobody could say it was a fact that LSU would beat OSU.

Because Iowa St wouldn't have had a .500 record otherwise. That's a big time loss, and the difference in SoS wasn't enough to make up for it.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because Iowa St wouldn't have had a .500 record otherwise. That's a big time loss, and the difference in SoS wasn't enough to make up for it.

So if they lost to KSU or OU it would have been fine and you would have voted for OSU?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if they lost to KSU or OU it would have been fine and you would have voted for OSU?

Well, I didn't vote. But the end result was so close, that yes I believe if that were the case OSU would have made it instead. Especially true if it had been a loss in similar fashion as Alabama's was to LSU.

I think the fair thing to say is that both teams deserved it, but only 1 got to.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yup. Had Bama lost to Vandy instead of LSU in the fashion they did, I wouldn't even consider Bama for the NCG.... not even close. NC's don't lose to shitbags like that, plain and simple imo.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most of us can agree that for the most part the BCS did it's job to get the top 2 teams to play in the nation championship game but what year do you feel did the BCS screwed it up.

A year that comes to the top of my head is 2007. LSU jumped from 7 to 2
-------
That and the fact a two loss team ended up in the NCG.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup. Had Bama lost to Vandy instead of LSU in the fashion they did, I wouldn't even consider Bama for the NCG.... not even close. NC's don't lose to shitbags like that, plain and simple imo.

Odd, so beating the best doesn't count as much as having an off game. Funny, how most sports generally count your highest achievement. Imagine what the Olympics would be like using that logic.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The exact year escapes me but the year they gave Nebraska the #2 spot when Nebraska not only did not win the Big XII, they didn't even qualify for the Big XII Championship Game, having gotten just curb stomped in their final regular season game by Colorado. They then got the crap kicked out of them by Miami in the BCS Title Game, solidifying the opinion that they had no business being there.

Miami was #1 and would have beaten anybody but no way was Nebraska the second best team come season's end.
---------
I do agree Miami would have beaten anyone. To say that other teams would have made that NCG look better, I don't know. I will say this, the point system in play at the time Nebraska did win out due in part to some cheap politics by the Colorado HC--Barnett. Had he just kept his mouth shut, he probably would have been in the championship game, but he was calling everyone's grandmother tying to solicit votes for his cause. Nebraska got the bid by the tiniest of margins. Barnett had thumped Nebraska the final game of the season, had he kept his mouth shut he would have had the invite.

theSabanator20

A mellow fellow
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying Okie Lite didnt deserve to go, they did, but they choked on a pron star dick at the worst possible time. That killed them. Even beating OU wasn't enough to get Iowa State out of people's mind. It was too late. And it's not like Alabama was an overwhelming 2nd place team. They were above Okie Lite by like .008 points or something like that. Half the voters said rematch, half the voters said Okie Lite. It was very close.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I didn't vote. But the end result was so close, that yes I believe if that were the case OSU would have made it instead. Especially true if it had been a loss in similar fashion as Alabama's was to LSU.

I think the fair thing to say is that both teams deserved it, but only 1 got to.

Very true

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, for one, don't think the BCS was so terrible, and they did a damned good job of giving us proper matchups for the NCG. Sure, there were a few years that were debatable, but all sides of the debate had merit, thus making the choices for the game acceptable by most. At least, it did provide a game where the NC was decided on the field, rather than solely by voters in the polls. However, no matter how you felt about the BCS, if you think that this new playoff is going to eliminate controversy, you are being naive. In fact, I think there will be more controversy, as there will be more teams that think they deserve a spot in the final four spots.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
---------
I do agree Miami would have beaten anyone. To say that other teams would have made that NCG look better, I don't know. I will say this, the point system in play at the time Nebraska did win out due in part to some cheap politics by the Colorado HC--Barnett. Had he just kept his mouth shut, he probably would have been in the championship game, but he was calling everyone's grandmother tying to solicit votes for his cause. Nebraska got the bid by the tiniest of margins. Barnett had thumped Nebraska the final game of the season, had he kept his mouth shut he would have had the invite.

Actually it was Oregon that deserved the bid that year. I would say some of the more controversial decisions seemed to come down to helmets. Had Oregon had a Trojan on its helmet, I think they get in. I think if OSU had a OU on its helmet they get in.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I, for one, don't think the BCS was so terrible, and they did a damned good job of giving us proper matchups for the NCG. Sure, there were a few years that were debatable, but all sides of the debate had merit, thus making the choices for the game acceptable by most. At least, it did provide a game where the NC was decided on the field, rather than solely by voters in the polls. However, no matter how you felt about the BCS, if you think that this new playoff is going to eliminate controversy, you are being naive. In fact, I think there will be more controversy, as there will be more teams that think they deserve a spot in the final four spots.

I think you can say the BCS did the best they could with the tools they had. Some years needed at least 4 slots

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually it was Oregon that deserved the bid that year. I would say some of the more controversial decisions seemed to come down to helmets. Had Oregon had a Trojan on its helmet, I think they get in. I think if OSU had a OU on its helmet they get in.

If that were the case, Auburn wouldn't have went twice in the past 4 years.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odd, so beating the best doesn't count as much as having an off game. Funny, how most sports generally count your highest achievement. Imagine what the Olympics would be like using that logic.

Oh, don't get it twisted, they had a good resume. But, like I said, a NC doesn't lose to a complete shitbag like that, end of story. The two best teams were in the game. Cry moar or don't, no skin off my nads, my team decisively won another crystal ball that year so I'm good. :noidea:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You don't have an off game with a championship quality team and lose to a team that can't manage a winning record.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that were the case, Auburn wouldn't have went twice in the past 4 years.

Why is that? Was there a power that Auburn jumped in those years? That brings up another controversial omission, undefeated Auburn being left out.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only real issue with 2008 was the fat piece crap at Kansas, Mangino.
He was Stoops' boy and drinking buddy. He miraculously voted Oklahoma #1 for the one week.

Texas curb-stomped KU 35-7 at Kansas.
OU beat Kansas in Oklahoma 45-31.

Even with his own eyeballs playing both teams, I can see live with him voting OU #2 over UT #3.
That would have been okay.

But,Mangino decided that 1-loss Oklahoma was better than #1 undefeated Alabama.
And that Texas was suddenly the #7 team as well that week.

Mack Brown did not have the balls to vote Texas #1 over Alabama.
But, Stoops had his fat slob crony do the unthinkable for him.

Good thing for Mack, he dropped 51 points on Mangino the next season officially eliminating him from a bowl game, and effective ending his career. That was probably the only time Mack truly enjoyed running up the score on anyone.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have an off game with a championship quality team and lose to a team that can't manage a winning record.

So much spin in you.

1. Not a winning record, obviously not the correct as Iowa A State was a bowl team
2. It a better SOS, just not enough
3. Losses are more important than wins. Be sure to inform mid - majors on that one.