• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What years did the BCS get it wrong

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And we know that Oklahoma St lost to Iowa St, who was only 6-6 at the end of the year because they had beat Oklahoma St. If you remove that game, they are 5-6 and not even above .500.

No matter how you want to spin it, Alabama got the 2nd chance because other teams choked. If Oklahoma St had won that game, then Alabama wouldn't have went.

Sure. You make my point for me. I said Bama had an argument as things turned out BECAUSE Houston lost to Southern Miss. If that hadnt happened then Bama has no argument, none. They have a loss so they cant argue "better loss" because Houton is unbeaten and they certainly cant claim "better wins" than OK State so IF Houston had won we wouldnt have been subjected to a rematch of a game we already saw. Bama was probably the best team in 2011 and probably should have won their regular seson game vs LSU BUT they didnt and CFB is supposed to reward teams based on assumptions. They are supposed to reward based on results. Thats why every game is so giant.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no schedule maker involved. That game is basically written in stone.

Alabama was the better team IMO, but Auburn won and thus they deserved to go. Auburn got better as the year went on.

LSU beat Alabama in 2011 and all indications were that Alabama was the better team even on that day except for the score, but the only reason Alabama got a rematch was because of what happened elsewhere in college football.

Auburn deserved it over Alabama last year. :gaah:

Let's hypnotize ourselves to think there were only three games last year. The results were:

@ Team A 35, Team B 21
@ Team B 34, Team C 28
@ Team C 38, Team A 17

So which team did better, Team A or Team C. Obviously, it's Team C. Every team won at home and lost on the road, but Team C's win was by the most, and their loss was closest.

Now, let's unhypnotize ourselves and look to the rest of their schedule. Team C outperformed Team A against all common opponents. They were more dominant in games without common opponents as well. So Team C was clearly better in the three games, and they were clearly better in the rest of their schedule. That equals 100% of the schedule.

Again, I don't really see it as close. Alabama is obviously Team C and Auburn is Team A. There is just no plausible argument at all that Alabama was worse than Auburn. The only argument is saying head-to-head trumps the entire season, and that seems to hold no weight when the head-to-head was a 6 point home win and Auburn lose decisively to a team Alabama beat.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's hypnotize ourselves to think there were only three games last year. The results were:

So which team did better, Team A or Team C. Obviously, it's Team C. Every team won at home and lost on the road, but Team C's win was by the most, and their loss was closest.

Now, let's unhypnotize ourselves and look to the rest of their schedule. Team C outperformed Team A against all common opponents. They were more dominant in games without common opponents as well. So Team C was clearly better in the three games, and they were clearly better in the rest of their schedule. That equals 100% of the schedule.

Again, I don't really see it as close. Alabama is obviously Team C and Auburn is Team A. There is just no plausible argument at all that Alabama was worse than Auburn. The only argument is saying head-to-head trumps the entire season, and that seems to hold no weight when the head-to-head was a 6 point home win and Auburn lose decisively to a team Alabama beat.

If you think I am going to sit here and defend Auburn to this degree, then you are silly.

I said what everyone else already knows, that's all I have to say about it.

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2000 and 2001 were the years I think they messed it up.

Miami over Florida State in 2000 and Oregon/Colorado over Nebraska in 2001.

Except I always thought it was Washington over Miami and Florida State. All three did end up with only one loss but FSU lost to Miami and Miami lost to Washington.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. You make my point for me. I said Bama had an argument as things turned out BECAUSE Houston lost to Southern Miss. If that hadnt happened then Bama has no argument, none. They have a loss so they cant argue "better loss" because Houton is unbeaten and they certainly cant claim "better wins" than OK State so IF Houston had won we wouldnt have been subjected to a rematch of a game we already saw. Bama was probably the best team in 2011 and probably should have won their regular seson game vs LSU BUT they didnt and CFB is supposed to reward teams based on assumptions. They are supposed to reward based on results. Thats why every game is so giant.

It didn't matter what Houston did. Nobody gives a crap about some CUSA team going undefeated.

Houston in the NCG? :lol:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It didn't matter what Houston did. Nobody gives a crap about some CUSA team going undefeated.

Houston in the NCG? :lol:

Clearly you arent listening to what Im saying.. LOL. Im saying the ONLY factual reason Bama had as argument over OK State was the "best loss" argument. Thats it. OK State had the better SOS and better wins SOOOO if the only valid argument you have is that Bama had the better loss as compared to OK State you cannot make that argument if there is an unbeaten team like Houston. Im not saying Houston would have gone or even been close to going. Im saying the SOLE AND ONLY arguemnt to take Bama ahead of OK State would have been gone.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a different take on why Bama should not have been given the rematch and it has nothing to do with Okie State or Iowa State.

Fact: The rematch forced LSU into a position to where they had to beat Alabama twice to be national champions while Alabama only had to beat them once.

Spin everything else however you want. That's bullshit.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clearly you arent listening to what Im saying.. LOL. Im saying the ONLY factual reason Bama had as argument over OK State was the "best loss" argument. Thats it. OK State had the better SOS and better wins SOOOO if the only valid argument you have is that Bama had the better loss as compared to OK State you cannot make that argument if there is an unbeaten team like Houston. Im not saying Houston would have gone or even been close to going. Im saying the SOLE AND ONLY arguemnt to take Bama ahead of OK State would have been gone.

OKST barely had an overall schedule tougher than Alabama, and not everyone even had OKST schedule as better.

And for the record, "Bama" didn't make any arguments other than being the best team. Voters from around the country put Alabama in that game.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a different take on why Bama should not have been given the rematch and it has nothing to do with Okie State or Iowa State.

Fact: The rematch forced LSU into a position to where they had to beat Alabama twice to be national champions while Alabama only had to beat them once.

Spin everything else however you want. That's bullshit.

So your position is that LSU should have been allowed to play an easier team the second time?

I'm sure LSU fans would have liked that.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your position is that LSU should have been allowed to play an easier team the second time?

I'm sure LSU fans would have liked that.

I would have been all in favor of Bama and LSU playing a third time to break the tie, actually.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have been all in favor of Bama and LSU playing a third time to break the tie, actually.

I suppose that would be acceptable.

I would also be in favor of the conference doing away with divisions and it could have been settled in the SECCG.

Overall, I think the 4 team playoff solves all the problems mentioned in this thread. Although I would rather it just be "up to 4" and teams are added as needed.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OKST barely had an overall schedule tougher than Alabama, and not everyone even had OKST schedule as better.

And for the record, "Bama" didn't make any arguments other than being the best team. Voters from around the country put Alabama in that game.

OK States schedule ranked 5th, Bamas 23rd heading into their bowls. In a sport with only 120 teams that is a huge difference. Yo put that in perspective the difference between OK State and Bama was the same as the difference between Bama and Louisville ( 18 spots )

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK States schedule ranked 5th, Bamas 23rd heading into their bowls. In a sport with only 120 teams that is a huge difference. Yo put that in perspective the difference between OK State and Bama was the same as the difference between Bama and Louisville ( 18 spots )

Actually, using hard ranks like that is a terrible thing to do, and nobody I've studied in rankings uses the data like that. Ranks are just the order of the results and not a measure of difference in difficulty.

For example: I had OKST ranked #39 and Alabama ranked #49 for SoS, but hard ranks are deceiving. The data that makes that rank has OKST schedule as being 82.27% as hard as the toughest schedule, while Alabama's schedule was 79.36%. So while there is a difference of 10 ranks here, the difference in the data is only 3%.

Naming spots/hard ranks is using the data wrong.

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:nod:

They didn't have to play a conference championship game either. :happyshake:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, using hard ranks like that is a terrible thing to do, and nobody I've studied in rankings uses the data like that. Ranks are just the order of the results and not a measure of difference in difficulty.

For example: I had OKST ranked #39 and Alabama ranked #49 for SoS, but hard ranks are deceiving. The data that makes that rank has OKST schedule as being 82.27% as hard as the toughest schedule, while Alabama's schedule was 79.36%. So while there is a difference of 10 ranks here, the difference in the data is only 3%.

Naming spots/hard ranks is using the data wrong.

OK if that makes you feel better man. Hell Ill conceded the point. Either way you are still left with the debate of whther 1 loss outweighs 11 wins and thats before you even debate the merits of a team being given a second shot to win a game they already lost ( at home no less) I see merits to both arguments but I just agree with one more than the other.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK if that makes you feel better man. Hell Ill conceded the point. Either way you are still left with the debate of whther 1 loss outweighs 11 wins and thats before you even debate the merits of a team being given a second shot to win a game they already lost ( at home no less) I see merits to both arguments but I just agree with one more than the other.

Not sure it makes me feel any better, it's just the proper way to use the data is all.

Both teams had 1 loss. Alabama lost to the #1 team in OT by a FG after missing 5 FG's of it's own. Iowa St lost to a team that didn't even have a winning record otherwise.

People like to falsely pretend like it's 1 argument this year, 1 argument the next year. But it's the same arguments every year and the reason people point out the quality of loss in this particular year is because that was the deciding factor.

Anyone who thinks Alabama didn't deserve it is being foolish, especially in hindsight. But I have no problem saying Oklahoma St deserved a chance as well. If the debate is about who was more deserving, then the majority of people already voted and decided that issue, and were vindicated as being right.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's a reason that 4down20 is on my ignore list. He can't admit any fault of his or Bama. Bama lost to LSU at home and there shouldn't have been a rematch.
Bama's SOS sucked compared to Okie State. Colley Matrix had Okie State beating 5 TOP 25 and 9 TOP 50 wins compared to Bama's 3 T 25 and 6 T 50.
Colley's Bias Free College Football Rankings

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a reason that 4down20 is on my ignore list. He can't admit any fault of his or Bama. Bama lost to LSU at home and there shouldn't have been a rematch.
Bama's SOS sucked compared to Okie State. Colley Matrix had Okie State beating 5 TOP 25 and 9 TOP 50 wins compared to Bama's 3 T 25 and 6 T 50.
Colley's Bias Free College Football Rankings

I'm on his ignore list, but he still talks about my posts.

:lol:

Which is almost as funny as him parading his ignore list around in public as if he is punishing everyone on it, and like it's a big deal.

You're such a little bitch Charlie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course we know how a 3 way tiebreaker works.

Oklahoma plays a HOME and NEUTRAL game
Texas Tech plays a HOME and ROAD game
Texas plays a NEUTRAL and ROAD game

The tiebreaker goes to the team who did not play a road game...over the team that did not play a home game.

Its tiebreaker 101

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lmao at thinking bama should have gone last year.