• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What years did the BCS get it wrong

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once again ( as to 2011 ) the point is not whther Bama was better than OK State. Its irrelevant. The point is that Bama had their chance to play LSU, they had it at home and they lost. The greatest thing about CFB is that every game counts so much. That is literally the thing that separates CFB from every other sport and in 2011 a team was given a second shot instead of a team being given a first one. I can argue the merits of either team ( OK STate or Bama ) all day long as both had great cases but in the end it came down to Bama getting the nod because it said Alabama on their jerseys. If Oklahoma had been 11-1 instead of OK STate then Bama doesnt play in that title game. Period.

Every game counts?

Oh yeah, Ok St proved they belonged when they lost to a team that made it to an even .500 record only because they beat Ok St.

Cry more bitches!

r-ALABAMA-FOOTBALL-large570.jpg

TROJAN-MAN

Been around the block more times than the mailman
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2008 Oklahoma over Texas. It was so silly since Texas literally beat them on a neutral field by 10, just like Florida ended up doing to win the natl title.

USC should have gone, that would have squelched any Big 12 issues, USC curbed stomped a 11 & 1 PSU team and would have done the same to either Fa tx or Ou

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in 2011 Bama and LSU were head and shoulders better than everyone that season. No way Okie State gets in with a loss to IOWA STATE. I know they had a tragic accident to members of the school but no way you lose that game

I think (and thought at the time) Oklahoma State had better quality wins than Alabama and an offense that would have scored on both LSU's and Bama's defense. Of course, the following year, Bama fans said it was who you beat over who you lost to (which I agreed with and still agree with).

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in 2011 Bama and LSU were head and shoulders better than everyone that season. No way Okie State gets in with a loss to IOWA STATE. I know they had a tragic accident to members of the school but no way you lose that game

You THINK they were better. I know LSU deserved to be in the title game because they beat Bama. You dont know for any certain fact that OK State wouldnt have beaten either team by 20 points. The ONLY team that 100% deserved to be there was LSU, the rest comes down to either rewarding teams for great wins or penalizing them for 1 bad loss. The BEST thing that could have happened in 2011 was if Houston had beaten Southern Miss in the C-USA tilte game because then Alabama wouldnt have had a leg to stand on as Houston would have been unbeaten. As it turned out the people who really wanted to see Bama in the title game were able to use the "better loss" argument as opposed to an ENTIRE seasons worth of results to reward a team. If Houston had been unbeaten then no one would have been able to use that argument.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You THINK they were better. I know LSU deserved to be in the title game because they beat Bama. You dont know for any certain fact that OK State wouldnt have beaten either team by 20 points. The ONLY team that 100% deserved to be there was LSU, the rest comes down to either rewarding teams for great wins or penalizing them for 1 bad loss. The BEST thing that could have happened in 2011 was if Houston had beaten Southern Miss in the C-USA tilte game because then Alabama wouldnt have had a leg to stand on as Houston would have been unbeaten. As it turned out the people who really wanted to see Bama in the title game were able to use the "better loss" argument as opposed to an ENTIRE seasons worth of results to reward a team. If Houston had been unbeaten then no one would have been able to use that argument.

It wasn't just a "better loss" that put Alabama in for 2011.

and lol @ thinking Houston would have went to anything.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC should have gone, that would have squelched any Big 12 issues, USC curbed stomped a 11 & 1 PSU team and would have done the same to either Fa tx or Ou

hahaha no way USC beats that Texas team. Earl Thomas and Brian Orakpo would've owned that trojan team.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good grief here is the question would Oklahoma State have beaten Alabama? No...Good then they weren't the best team in the country and the shit played out correctly as much as it pains me.

And screw you guys for making me type that crap.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2001 was the most obviously wrong one. All the Big 12 teams were overranked, but since they beat each other (who were also overranked), people thought they were good. Seriously how does a conference whose champion lost to Fresno State get 4 teams in the top 10? It made no sense then, and it certainly doesn't make sense now.

2003 and 2013 are the other three two come to mind. 2003 Oklahoma had just gotten killed in the Big 12 Title game (much like 01 Colorado). And I still say that Alabama had the better total resume last year, and putting Auburn above them based on a last-second home victory meant that the guys who chose the SEC schedule picked the championship matchup, not the players on the field.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2001 was the most obviously wrong one. All the Big 12 teams were overranked, but since they beat each other (who were also overranked), people thought they were good. Seriously how does a conference whose champion lost to Fresno State get 4 teams in the top 10? It made no sense then, and it certainly doesn't make sense now.

2003 and 2013 are the other three two come to mind. 2003 Oklahoma had just gotten killed in the Big 12 Title game (much like 01 Colorado). And I still say that Alabama had the better total resume last year, and putting Auburn above them based on a last-second home victory meant that the guys who chose the SEC schedule picked the championship matchup, not the players on the field.

OMG, and now this guy is going to make me defend Auburn last year?

:wtf:

PS: Alabama and Auburn play the same week every year, and have for every year of my life.

tchangles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it mattered who USC played in 2004, Oklahoma or Auburn they would've destroyed anybody that night. Didn't USC play Auburn the year before and beat them 23-0

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't just a "better loss" that put Alabama in for 2011.

and lol @ thinking Houston would have went to anything.

Houston wouldnt have went to anything but the argument of " better loss'would have been moot as Houston would have been unbeaten. The reality is OK State had the better SOS and the better overall quality of wins and that isnt even debatable. The theoretical reason Bama got in was they had the better loss. That reason would have been null and void if Houston had been unbeaten. Of course the real reason Bama went ahead of OK State was the name on their jersey. If you supplant Mississippi State for Bama with the EXACT same results then OK State would have been in the title game. If you supplant Texas or Oklahoma for OK State with the EXACT same results then Bama isnt playing for a title. That is 100%v what happened. I dont dislike Bam and I dont give 2 shits about OK State but the integrity of the game was smeared in 2011 and that does piss me off. It does NOT matter that Bama was probably the best team that year. We are supposed to base CFB titles off of results and merit not the god damn name on a teams jersey

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good grief here is the question would Oklahoma State have beaten Alabama? No...Good then they weren't the best team in the country and the shit played out correctly as much as it pains me.

And screw you guys for making me type that crap.

You dont know that. I KNOW that LSU won at Bama in the regular season.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG, and now this guy is going to make me defend Auburn last year?

:wtf:

PS: Alabama and Auburn play the same week every year, and have for every year of my life.

:L

The point about the schedule makers is that they played at Jordan-Hare. A loss on the last play of a game in your opponent's house doesn't prove near as much to me as the fact that you guys were much better against common opponents.

There is a reason teams play 12 games instead of 1. 12 games is a much better sample, because 1 game can be affected by biases (like who is at home). By all indications, Alabama was the better team over the entirety of the season, and the closest loss ever in your opponent's backyard doesn't change that.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it mattered who USC played in 2004, Oklahoma or Auburn they would've destroyed anybody that night. Didn't USC play Auburn the year before and beat them 23-0

Yeah and in 2012 had Florida State played Auburn they would have beaten them by 30 and not had to score a TD with 13 seconds left on the clock. So basically your point is irrelevant.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2008 Oklahoma over Texas. It was so silly since Texas literally beat them on a neutral field by 10, just like Florida ended up doing to win the natl title.

After all these years you still don't know how a 3 way tie works.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

The point about the schedule makers is that they played at Jordan-Hare. A loss on the last play of a game in your opponent's house doesn't prove near as much to me as the fact that you guys were much better against common opponents.

There is a reason teams play 12 games instead of 1. 12 games is a much better sample, because 1 game can be affected by biases (like who is at home). By all indications, Alabama was the better team over the entirety of the season, and the closest loss ever in your opponent's backyard doesn't change that.

There is no schedule maker involved. That game is basically written in stone.

Alabama was the better team IMO, but Auburn won and thus they deserved to go. Auburn got better as the year went on.

LSU beat Alabama in 2011 and all indications were that Alabama was the better team even on that day except for the score, but the only reason Alabama got a rematch was because of what happened elsewhere in college football.

Auburn deserved it over Alabama last year. :gaah:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You dont know that. I KNOW that LSU won at Bama in the regular season.

And we know that Oklahoma St lost to Iowa St, who was only 6-6 at the end of the year because they had beat Oklahoma St. If you remove that game, they are 5-6 and not even above .500.

No matter how you want to spin it, Alabama got the 2nd chance because other teams choked. If Oklahoma St had won that game, then Alabama wouldn't have went.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mack probably regrets shutting the offense down on the last possession by Texas. 3 runs into the gut of OU, 3 and out. Texas could easily have scored and made it a 17 point victory.

There are several things I didn't like about Mack and not running up the score was one of them.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whatever yr Colorado beat the crap out of Nebraska on black Friday. they had no business being in the title game after that