• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What will Phil Jackson do?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Step in and coach? Or leave after this year? This is atrocious. You're NEW YORK!!

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep collecting them checks. He could run the franchise into the ground and no one will remember him other than how great a coach he was.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way in the world Phil has interest in coaching that team. It wouldn't do any good anyway.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil's done coaching. He'll keep collecting those large paychecks until his contract ends or he's fired. I think his motivation for taking the job was more for the ridiculous salary offered than trying to get the franchise to the top.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil is just getting his feet wet and knew already this was likely to happen. Phil also knew that Carmelo Anthony was and is a selfish player that stops good ball movement. Phil had no choice but to resign him given the public opinion that would go against him for not signing the only decent player New York had. It's a complete rebuild which is the reason he brought Fisher in. Fisher with zero experience was plenty good enough for a crappy team

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep collecting them checks. He could run the franchise into the ground and no one will remember him other than how great a coach he was.

I disagree. Phil has never had to put a team together until he took the Knicks GM job. Whatever the reasons are the Knicks suck & Phil should shoulder some of the blame. Hell he's got "his guy" coaching his Triangle Offense & his Knicks are the worst team in the league, 5-34 & on a 14 game losing streak. The 76ers are playing better basketball than the Brickabockers currently!

Last edited by a moderator:

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it bad in New York? Sure, it is as bad as anyone can remember it. Should Phil shoulder some of the blame? A little, he had a slight opportunity for movement in the off season. However, I had no expectations that the Knicks were going to be a good team this year; not this bad, but I had them missing the playoffs in the East, which is pretty poor.

I thought that Phil took this on as a different challenge. To show he could win in every aspect of basketball: player, coach, and executive. He is working on building a competitor and this year is just the beginning of a work in progress. He's making lots of moves to set up for the off season. He is using this JV team as coaching practice for Fisher. I, for one, am very interested in what Jackson will do with a high draft pick and room to play in free agency. Will he be successful? He's done it on other levels, but this is a different kind of chess game. His initial foray into the executive, advising the Pistons on a coaching hire, didn't work so well with his recommended hire, Cheeks, failing to last the season (maybe it would have been different if Dumars had waived Smith a year sooner).

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

When you're able to get Andrew Bynum playing at a high level, you're a pretty damn good coach.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the past now but I thought it was a misstep for him to not coach for the first year. I thought he should have brought in Fisher as an assistant but coach the team himself for the first year or so. After that, hand it over to Fish. The reasoning was 1) The triangle is difficult to learn at first since a lot of it goes against what most players have been taught their entire careers. It's easy for players to bail out if they don't have a strong presence there pushing them and someone to respect. Which leads into 2) Fish is a newbie head coach that already isn't well liked amongst many players in the league from the way he handled the Lockout.

So the Knicks started off with a guy that's never coached before, one that may not have much respect from players to begin with, and he has to teach something that can be very difficult to learn. That's a really tough task.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's gonna smoke some peyote and Zen out for the rest of the season.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,724.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the past now but I thought it was a misstep for him to not coach for the first year. I thought he should have brought in Fisher as an assistant but coach the team himself for the first year or so. After that, hand it over to Fish. The reasoning was 1) The triangle is difficult to learn at first since a lot of it goes against what most players have been taught their entire careers. It's easy for players to bail out if they don't have a strong presence there pushing them and someone to respect. Which leads into 2) Fish is a newbie head coach that already isn't well liked amongst many players in the league from the way he handled the Lockout.

So the Knicks started off with a guy that's never coached before, one that may not have much respect from players to begin with, and he has to teach something that can be very difficult to learn. That's a really tough task.

The talent in New York sucks. Don't forget that.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He knows they need to get really bad, and they need to build ground up. I will not be surprised they trade Melo at some point.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He knows they need to get really bad, and they need to build ground up. I will not be surprised they trade Melo at some point.

Hmmmm, that would be interesting.

Wonder what his market would be?

I think Phil will turn it around.

His name still carries a bit of weight around the NBA.

Even though he is not the Coach, we all know Fish is just his Puppet.

I'm very interested in seeing who he can bring in this Summer.