• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What Will A New HC Mean to Some of Our Veteran Players?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He came off like a total asshole! He started that way in Denver as well, talking smack about how poorly his predecessor did. Absolutely unnecessary and not something good leaders do. My opinion of Payton has been diminished big time with how he's handled business this year. I'm sure Russ won't shed a tear if they cut him loose. If RW ever writes a book about his career, the Denver chapter will be a juicy read.

The best thing that can happen to Russ is they cut him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I been rolling an idea around. Dead money is mostly signing bonus that the players have gotten the cash for upon signing and it's just how you want to spread it around for accounting purposes. So what about just biting the bullet and not fool around with post June releases Just go ahead and cut these under producers:
Geno, Adams, Lockett,Diggs, Dre'Mont, Dissly and Mone. That would be a whooping 85 million in dead money but remember the money has already been paid for the most part and it's just how you want to account for it. Those cut would mean 55 million in cap space in 2024 but it would also save huge amount in 2025 cap space.

So if they did that we would need a QB, WR, DE/DT, Free Safety, and TE. That's a lot to fill.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best thing that can happen to Russ is they cut him.
I heard this idea, RW has a off setting clause in his contract, so he should just sign for minimum pay with the right team ( Falcons were mentioned as a sweet landing spot for Russ). It makes no difference for RW as far as his earnings but a good revenge on Payton/Bronco's who will be paying the balance and it's a lot of money.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard this idea, RW has a off setting clause in his contract, so he should just sign for minimum pay with the right team ( Falcons were mentioned as a sweet landing spot for Russ). It makes no difference for RW as far as his earnings but a good revenge on Payton/Bronco's who will be paying the balance and it's a lot of money.

Yeah. He's getting paid by the Broncos no matter what. He can go where ever he wants.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if they did that we would need a QB, WR, DE/DT, Free Safety, and TE. That's a lot to fill.
For WR they have JSN, QB would be taken in the draft (along with a CHEAP veteran backup), resign Parkinson ( likely the cheapest to resign) then address the balance with the draft and cost efficient FA signings. These players cut are not earning what they would make so get players that give you more bang for your buck.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For WR they have JSN, QB would be taken in the draft (along with a CHEAP veteran backup), resign Parkinson ( likely the cheapest to resign) then address the balance with the draft and cost efficient FA signings. These players cut are not earning what they would make so get players that give you more bang for your buck.

So just close our eyes and hope that whoever is left for us in the draft will be ready to start day 1?

It's weird to me how many people desperately want to get rid of Geno just to get rid of him. Cutting him and not making a move for another starter QB will make it blatantly obvious that we will be drafting a QB which will mean that teams will try to move ahead of us if they want a QB and/or will make it even more costly for us to move up in the draft.

There is no way that Schneider and the new coaches are just going to be that risky.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's weird to me how many people desperately want to get rid of Geno just to get rid of him
No it's to create cap space, get his salary off the books for good, and make room for future QB and make easier to get that future QB snaps.
There is no way that Schneider and the new coaches are just going to be that risky.
The new HC and OC are not going to be enthusiastic about having a old journeymen be their starting QB like Pete was. No way to know how the draft falls but seems likely the Seahawks can land a good prospect at QB in this draft.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it's to create cap space, get his salary off the books for good, and make room for future QB and make easier to get that future QB snaps.

OK. And what happens if that QB struggles? Just leave him out there? Hope that the back-up won't be embarrassing?

The last thing a new unproven HC and JS want is for this team to truly struggle in year 1.

The new HC and OC are not going to be enthusiastic about having a old journeymen be their starting QB like Pete was. No way to know how the draft falls but seems likely the Seahawks can land a good prospect at QB in this draft.

I think that the HC and OC are going to want to find their QB for the future. But they are also going to want to win now. There is no way that JS and the new HC are going to just take whatever QB is left and hope for the best. They will almost certainly have a list of QBs that they will consider 1st round worthy. And if they are all gone they will wait until later.

Getting rid of Geno almost forces them to make a move up the draft.

It just doesn't make any sense to do it. Unless JS truly believes in one or two of the prospects that would fall to us.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK. And what happens if that QB struggles? Just leave him out there? Hope that the back-up won't be embarrassing?

The last thing a new unproven HC and JS want is for this team to truly struggle in year 1.
What happens if Geno regresses next year ( won't be a surprise) and struggles with the new offense, you've heard the saying about old dogs and new tricks , right?

The new HC and OC are going to be given a pass with a rookie QB behind center at least year one.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is pretty much the right response to the notion of cutting all those players that were listed. Some of them certainly will be gone, but Schneider isn't just going to spitefully clean house like some fans suggest. This isn't Madden.

The new HC and OC are not going to be enthusiastic about having a old journeymen be their starting QB like Pete was.

If the only thing that mattered was the 2024 season, then I would probably agree with you. But that's not the case; there is likely to still be an NFL in 2025 and beyond. Having a journeyman QB for a season with a new coaching staff isn't some curse on the future of the franchise. Sometimes a little continuity in the ranks can be valuable when there's lots of change with leadership. Having Geno as a 1 year insurance policy in the event you don't get the draft to fall your way this spring might be a good idea.
No way to know how the draft falls but seems likely the Seahawks can land a good prospect at QB in this draft.
But no guarantee, and you don't want to be caught totally flat footed at QB. I'm good with drafting a QB as early as we can if the one we want is there in this next draft, and Geno is not a bad safety net in the event it doesn't work out.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno making 31 million this season and it will cost nearly 9 million to release him next off season. If he regresses and gets bench or if the rookie simply wins the job outright Seahawks would be paying 40 million for a safety net. Seems extreme.

Reactions: MrS

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno making 31 million this season and it will cost nearly 9 million to release him next off season. If he regresses and gets bench or if the rookie simply wins the job outright Seahawks would be paying 40 million for a safety net. Seems extreme.
A first round rookie qb is an immediate starter, paying a backup 31 million is plain stupid.

I thought i saw somewhere geno has guarantees due shortly after the superbowl, so we will know which direction they are going by then.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My preference would be to restructure Geno's deal (if they go with him for 2024) to reduce the 31M cap number. If we had a high enough draft position where we could be more or less assured of the opportunity at a top QB, then I would be much more ok with cutting Geno putting all eggs in the draft basket. As it is, that looks like a very risky move right now. I think the team is going to hedge its bet.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A first round rookie qb is an immediate starter, paying a backup 31 million is plain stupid.

I'm watching a game right now where the QB kicking ass was drafted in the 1st round and didn't play as a rookie. Last night I watched another game where the winning team had a QB drafted in the first round who didn't start as a rookie; he was playing against a QB drafted 5 overall and also was not an immediate starter as a rookie.

I am not advocating to pay Geno $31M of cap space to be a backup. I am advocating not to take the biggest possible risk at the QB position without any assurance the draft will fall in our favor.
I thought i saw somewhere geno has guarantees due shortly after the superbowl, so we will know which direction they are going by then.
It's been mentioned in here maybe dozens of times. Welcome to the board.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm watching a game right now where the QB kicking ass was drafted in the 1st round and didn't play as a rookie. Last night I watched another game where the winning team had a QB drafted in the first round who didn't start as a rookie; he was playing against a QB drafted 5 overall and also was not an immediate starter as a rookie.
Kicking ass? He had a wide open TE ready to walk into the endzone and horribly under threw him. Lucky for him he still caught it. He has 15 completions right now. Its the run game thats dominating dallas.
I am not advocating to pay Geno $31M of cap space to be a backup. I am advocating not to take the biggest possible risk at the QB position without any assurance the draft will fall in our favor.
The team needs to rebuild, a 34 year old 31 million dollar backup QB is not going to be part of that.

It's been mentioned in here maybe dozens of times. Welcome to the board.
Calm your tits boomer

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. He's getting paid by the Broncos no matter what. He can go where ever he wants.
Which is why it would be funny to see him go to the Raiders... Then he can beat the Broncos 2x's next year while the Broncos pay him to do so...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kicking ass?

Yes, Jordan Love is and has been kicking ass. Top rated passer since week 12. Just the facts.

He had a wide open TE ready to walk into the endzone and horribly under threw him. Lucky for him he still caught it. He has 15 completions right now. Its the run game thats dominating dallas.

The team needs to rebuild, a 34 year old 31 million dollar backup QB is not going to be part of that.

Again, not advocating for a 31M backup QB at any age. You just don't read and understand the words.
Calm your tits boomer
I'm gen x.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Love is the first QB in history with a perfect passer rating in his 1st playoff game. Yeah, not kicking ass or anything because a TE was wide open and he didn't need to throw it 50 times to win....

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Love is the first QB in history with a perfect passer rating in his 1st playoff game. Yeah, not kicking ass or anything because a TE was wide open and he didn't need to throw it 50 times to win....
It wasn't perfect, and i watched the game he wasn't perfect he completed 16 passes. The dallas D was atrocious

You have to be a moron at this point to think dan quinn is even a consideration for HC

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens if Geno regresses next year ( won't be a surprise) and struggles with the new offense, you've heard the saying about old dogs and new tricks , right?

The new HC and OC are going to be given a pass with a rookie QB behind center at least year one.

If we draft a rookie QB and Geno struggles you bring in the rookie and hope that he does well. Hell, you hope that the rookie outplays Geno in camp and he is the backup on opening day.