• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What to do?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So there's basically 6 regular posters left, with another 5-6 that post once in a while. And that's it. Kind of sucks when we have a contender again. It's been over 11 years since the exodus brought us here. Maybe time to move on again? Anyone know some places with action?

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the nature of these boards has changed over time.

The Giants' board is by far the most active National League board on the Hoop. We have over 203,000 posts. The next closest is the Phillies, who have almost 51,000 posts. The Dogs have 10,300 posts. The Marlins have all of 211.

In the AL, the Rangers have 293,000 posts. The Astros have a total of only 134 posts!

I am not sure where the action is, and as dead as this board is sometimes, especially in contrast to 2010-2014, this is among the liveliest boards on the Hoop. And given the nature of these boards, I am not sure there is likely to be a more lively place.

My two cents.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't go looking for forums but I have noticed that there are a lot of posters on mlb.com (if I remember the place correctly) and mlbtraderumors. However, the latter is mainly people commenting on specific moves or rumors. I think that you'll find team specific pages on social media. I would guess that the majority of people let their voices be known there these days.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the nature of these boards has changed over time.

The Giants' board is by far the most active National League board on the Hoop. We have over 203,000 posts. The next closest is the Phillies, who have almost 51,000 posts. The Dogs have 10,300 posts. The Marlins have all of 211.

In the AL, the Rangers have 293,000 posts. The Astros have a total of only 134 posts!

I am not sure where the action is, and as dead as this board is sometimes, especially in contrast to 2010-2014, this is among the liveliest boards on the Hoop. And given the nature of these boards, I am not sure there is likely to be a more lively place.

My two cents.
That's fair but I meant other sites. I knew we were active for the Hoop

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't go looking for forums but I have noticed that there are a lot of posters on mlb.com (if I remember the place correctly) and mlbtraderumors. However, the latter is mainly people commenting on specific moves or rumors. I think that you'll find team specific pages on social media. I would guess that the majority of people let their voices be known there these days.
Ugh that's probably right, I hate that stuff, never had an account of any kind on SM and don't wanna.

But the lawn...oh you will stay off it!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the concept of forums is somewhat dead. ESPN killed theirs, I think, for liability reasons. Same with IMDB. There isn’t a lot of monetization in forums, but there is a LOT of liability.

that said, we have looked in the past, and I haven’t liked the format of the other sites. They tend use the Reddit model of trees that require lots of clicks the expand the thread, and are more geared to getting you off topic than giving you the discussions you want to participate in. Hammer’s new site is very similar to this, but is basically just people who left here, we we won’t be finding new Giants fans.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the concept of forums is somewhat dead. ESPN killed theirs, I think, for liability reasons. Same with IMDB. There isn’t a lot of monetization in forums, but there is a LOT of liability.

that said, we have looked in the past, and I haven’t liked the format of the other sites. They tend use the Reddit model of trees that require lots of clicks the expand the thread, and are more geared to getting you off topic than giving you the discussions you want to participate in. Hammer’s new site is very similar to this, but is basically just people who left here, we we won’t be finding new Giants fans.
Yep, I think LHG nailed it, social media are taking over this stuff

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that there are ongoing discussions on news sites like The Athletic. Baggs will write a story, and there will be quite a number of comments, some interacting with Baggs, most interacting with one another. This is not exactly the same as the GDT we experience here, but this mode may be a dinosaur now. Since I am a dinosaur, I am partial to this give and take in real time.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say that there are ongoing discussions on news sites like The Athletic. Baggs will write a story, and there will be quite a number of comments, some interacting with Baggs, most interacting with one another. This is not exactly the same as the GDT we experience here, but this mode may be a dinosaur now. Since I am a dinosaur, I am partial to this give and take in real time.
I too am a giant reptile.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too am a giant reptile.
We are not just the lunatic fringe, but the aging portion of it that sit on our virtual lawns, yelling at each other to get off them, and complaining about kids these days and their social media experience. Why, back in our day, we had to go to a separate website to interact online with people we didn't know, and we liked it! We are the lunatic fringe of the lunatic fringe.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh that's probably right, I hate that stuff, never had an account of any kind on SM and don't wanna.

But the lawn...oh you will stay off it!
I'm on Facebook but nothing else SM (well, I am on LinkedIn, but I don't count that as SM). I do like to use Twitter to get updates but don't have an account there. I've been invited to a couple baseball groups on Facebook but I just don't like the setup there compared to here. I think some of us will hold on to the bitter end of forum usage. I'm not sure I want to make a move elsewhere but will try to be open to it.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are not just the lunatic fringe, but the aging portion of it that sit on our virtual lawns, yelling at each other to get off them, and complaining about kids these days and their social media experience. Why, back in our day, we had to go to a separate website to interact online with people we didn't know, and we liked it! We are the lunatic fringe of the lunatic fringe.
Preach Christina Aguilera GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY339 × 200

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have these few good posters to read and react to than a board full of Trolls making noise and useless posts. This a a good group I am on two other forums besides the Niner one here. One is a Hockey board that is closely moderated with many knowledgeable posters and the other is..... Don't laugh to hard.... The Cycling News forum. I love cycling as in Tour de France style road racing and One day races like the Olympic race last night late here from 7pm till 1am. The Hockey board has many great contributors and I have learned so much in the over 15 years I have been there, thousands of posts each day often. But this group is very entertaining and helpful and knowledgeable. There are some who post at the Hockey board who go to other boards and are amazed at what goes on, in those places we have it good here.

:thumb: :first: :headbanger::happy::fencing::dance::nod::thumb::D

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather have these few good posters to read and react to than a board full of Trolls making noise and useless posts. This a a good group I am on two other forums besides the Niner one here. One is a Hockey board that is closely moderated with many knowledgeable posters and the other is..... Don't laugh to hard.... The Cycling News forum. I love cycling as in Tour de France style road racing and One day races like the Olympic race last night late here from 7pm till 1am. The Hockey board has many great contributors and I have learned so much in the over 15 years I have been there, thousands of posts each day often. But this group is very entertaining and helpful and knowledgeable. There are some who post at the Hockey board who go to other boards and are amazed at what goes on, in those places we have it good here.

Nice!

I sort of liked the wild west approach to the old Mouse Board. Dodger trolls appeared often and battle was waged. Some of our posters would then go on the Dodger board and give them hell. Most of it was done in good fun. There were some trolls who grew quite tiresome really quickly. NinerNonsense and PWD were two of the worst.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can’t stand the Twitter method of discussions. First, you need Facebook to contribute, and second, there is no logical flow to the discussion. Not to mention the heavy moderation taking place by the local admins.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OMG!!

I thought your keyboard was broken.