• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What kind of season would Mahomes have to have to retire after it and still make the Hall of Fame?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this all fine and well but athletes with a start like Mahomes want to play for a long ass time. The desire to be the GOAT trumps any ridicules' thought of walking away early. It's a stupid ass thread but not surprising you would find it an interesting question. You guys never competed for anything other than maybe bar games
Lol im probably the only ex professional athlete on the site but ok.

Guys get hurt. Sometimes their careers end. And yes sometimes ( not often but occassionally ) people quit .

Obviously its highly unlikely but it still happens

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I counter your stats with one of my own.
No player has ever made the HOF on just 2 seasons worth of work!

This really isnt debatable!
Sure but this thread assumes another great year. So thats 3. If Mahomes were to win another SB and MVP then become a parapalegic in the offseason would you put him in the HoF? I would

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if he put up madden numbers on the rookie setting could he get in the hall after this season.

Terrell Davis is in on basically 4 good seasons, 3 of which were really great, and a MVP and 2 Super Bowls.

If Mahomes gets a second MVP and wins a second Super Bowl then you think it out of question he could get in off of basically the best 3 year stretch of any QB ever?

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If for whatever reason either by choice or circumstance that Mahomes retired after next season do you think it is possible for him to make the Hall of Fame? Has he done enough already and if not what would he have to do next year for his short legacy to be so mythical that he still makes it in despite only 3 playing years?

It would even less of a window than Terrell Davis but similiar situation.

I think if Mahomes wins MVP next season as well as the Super Bowl & Super Bowl MVP again then he could retire and be in the Hall of Fame within the decade. I think it might even be possible if he either just won the Super Bowl but not regular season MVP or he just won MVP but not the Super Bowl.

I almost think he could retire tomorrow and he would still eventually get in.

But he already has had a more impressive career than Davis did.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If for whatever reason either by choice or circumstance that Mahomes retired after next season do you think it is possible for him to make the Hall of Fame? Has he done enough already and if not what would he have to do next year for his short legacy to be so mythical that he still makes it in despite only 3 playing years?

I think if Mahomes wins MVP next season as well as the Super Bowl & Super Bowl MVP again then he could retire and be in the Hall of Fame within the decade. I think it might even be possible if he either just won the Super Bowl but not regular season MVP or he just won MVP but not the Super Bowl.

Lay off the drugs. Mahomie needs 10 more great seasons to get into the HOF.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrell Davis is in on basically 4 good seasons, 3 of which were really great, and a MVP and 2 Super Bowls.

If Mahomes gets a second MVP and wins a second Super Bowl then you think it out of question he could get in off of basically the best 3 year stretch of any QB ever?

Terrel Davis is in because he carried a ding toed, fat ass, career playoff failure QB to 2 titles.......... and he shouldn't be in, so..................

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think even an AMVP season would do it...

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

terrell davis carried denver and elway to back to back titles. those 2 years alone:

31 games
36 TD's
3,758 yards
121 YPG
67 catches for 504 yards and 2 TD's

superbowls?

55 carries
259 yards
3 TD's

postseason totals:

8 games
204 carries
1140 yards
5.6 per carry
12 TD's

his lowest rushing total in a postseason game? 91 yards. then 101, then 102, and so on.

mahomes threw 2 ugly picks in his lone superbowl to date, and got bailed out by the opposing QB.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've actually heard some sports pundits bring up this subject and some think he's already in. I would have to disagree. I think there needs to be some longevity involved in a career to cement a legacy.

and bringing up terrell davis as a comparison is not a good analogy. davis played for 7 years and was the best at his position for 3 of them and carried his team to 2 SB wins.

If in 4 more years, Mahomes has done the same then i believe he will be a lock.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
terrell davis carried denver and elway to back to back titles. those 2 years alone:

31 games
36 TD's
3,758 yards
121 YPG
67 catches for 504 yards and 2 TD's

superbowls?

55 carries
259 yards
3 TD's

postseason totals:

8 games
204 carries
1140 yards
5.6 per carry
12 TD's

his lowest rushing total in a postseason game? 91 yards. then 101, then 102, and so on.

mahomes threw 2 ugly picks in his lone superbowl to date, and got bailed out by the opposing QB.

Counter:

In two seasons as starter he has already put together a 4-1 post season record with 13 TD passes, 3 TD runs and 2 interceptions and 1474 yards passing.

In the Super Bowl run he overcame deficits of 24 points, 10 & 10 to advance to and win the Super Bowl.

In those comebacks, Mahomes didn't just overcome the deficits to narrowly escape defeat. He overcame the double digit deficits to win the games by double digits.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've actually heard some sports pundits bring up this subject and some think he's already in. I would have to disagree. I think there needs to be some longevity involved in a career to cement a legacy.

and bringing up terrell davis as a comparison is not a good analogy. davis played for 7 years and was the best at his position for 3 of them and carried his team to 2 SB wins.

If in 4 more years, Mahomes has done the same then i believe he will be a lock.

Terrell Davis really only played for 4 years that his HOF is based on. The 3 following injury plagued years where he wasn't able to really come back from the knee injury abd he only played in a total of 17 games with a total of 1,194 yards (3.8 ypa) and 4 TDs I don't think factored much into his HOF decision. It was his 4 seasons pre injury that built his entry into the HOF was built on.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrell Davis really only played for 4 years that his HOF is based on. The 3 following injury plagued years where he wasn't able to really come back from the knee injury abd he only played in a total of 17 games with a total of 1,194 yards (3.8 ypa) and 4 TDs I don't think factored much into his HOF decision. It was his 4 seasons pre injury that built his entry into the HOF was built on.
davis' play got 2 titles, both back to back. he was also arguably the best RB in football over those 4 years:

61 games
6,413 yards
4.8 per
56 rushing TD's
152 catches
1181 yards
7.8 per
5 TD's

22 carries for 105 per game

thats 61 games and 61 total TD's. thats fucking nuts.

so by age 26 TD was the best in the game, had carried an aging elway to back to back titles. no davis, no titles. now, you can say the same about mahomes...but he has 2 seasons under his belt, and 1 title. if he puts up madden numbers for another 2 years, wins another title, and suddenly lost a leg, he may get the davis treatment.

til then, he wont.

RememberTheKoy

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
davis' play got 2 titles, both back to back. he was also arguably the best RB in football over those 4 years:

61 games
6,413 yards
4.8 per
56 rushing TD's
152 catches
1181 yards
7.8 per
5 TD's

22 carries for 105 per game

thats 61 games and 61 total TD's. thats fucking nuts.

so by age 26 TD was the best in the game, had carried an aging elway to back to back titles. no davis, no titles. now, you can say the same about mahomes...but he has 2 seasons under his belt, and 1 title. if he puts up madden numbers for another 2 years, wins another title, and suddenly lost a leg, he may get the davis treatment.

til then, he wont.

I'm not discounting Davis all. One of m favorite players of all time. He was so dominant pre-injury. If only he suffered that injury a few years later when the medical science seemed to really advance for acls then maybe his career wouldn't have ended.

I was just replying to Captain saying Davis got in on a 7 year career. Technically he did but those last 3 years are largely irrelevant as to why Davis got in. It is that 4 year stretch that got him in.

That's why I think if Mahomes gets his back to back Super Bowl and a second MVP next year then that's a comparable and perhaps even better 3 year stretch than the 4 year stretch that got Davis in.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrell Davis is a terrible example and probably shouldn't be in even though he carried Horseface. RB's don't last as long and can get in with a great 3-4 year stretch possibly.

This will be Mahomes' 3rd year in the league lol...no shot even with an amazing season.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order to make the HOF after this year Mahoomes would have to go 19-0, throw 50 TDs, zero interceptions, have a perfect QB rating and most importantly literally be shot dead while hoisting the SB trophy on the field after the game.

I think that gets him in...

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The shortest career played by any NFL player who has made the HOF is 54 games, Ernie Nevers. Played 5 seasons, just 54 games.

As of 2017 - just 11 HOF members played fewer than 8 seasons (including the currently mentioned Terrell Davis).

So - for Mahomes who is at 36 career games played including post-season - would need AT LEAST 2 more seasons from a longevity standpoint - and would need both seasons to be like 2018 statistically for him to stop playing and get any kind of consideration. Winning another SB would certainly aid that cause. If we are talking realistically how soon could he get into the HOF, my guess would be he'd need 2 more years of his 2018 stats to be in the discussion - and another SB win would not be a bad thing, either.

Otherwise, based on HOF precedent of players - you are looking at 7-8 seasons in which you are dominant for at least 4-5 of them as the best, or top 3, in the league each of those peak years.

Could he play next year, win a SB, dominate, and retire to the HOF? No. He would end up being the least tenured player in the HOF in terms of games/seasons - and for that, his stats had better be otherwordly. We're talking 6,500+ yards and 65+ TD's. As someone said before, Madden on rookie kind of numbers.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is RTK a closet chiefs fan?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not discounting Davis all. One of m favorite players of all time. He was so dominant pre-injury. If only he suffered that injury a few years later when the medical science seemed to really advance for acls then maybe his career wouldn't have ended.

I was just replying to Captain saying Davis got in on a 7 year career. Technically he did but those last 3 years are largely irrelevant as to why Davis got in. It is that 4 year stretch that got him in.

That's why I think if Mahomes gets his back to back Super Bowl and a second MVP next year then that's a comparable and perhaps even better 3 year stretch than the 4 year stretch that got Davis in.
i agree on the years, he had maybe out of his 7 total that had value, 2001 was...ok...for a guy with his knee. 8 games, 2 over 100. never under 70 yards.

36/171 his final 2 NFL games for a guy on one leg.