• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is the market for Julio Jones?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with this at all. The Diva position gets their share and the game becomes arena football if their pay becomes QB like. The empire will crack

It's just money and how teams decide to use it. It won't change the game in the least. Some teams will choose to go cheap at WR. Some will throw all their money at one guy and fill in around him. Others will put a significant amount of their cap into the position signing two or even 3 good players there. No different than what the NFL has been doing for the last couple of decades.

And WR's, especially the elite ones, have a bigger impact on the game today than most positions. Guys like Bryant, Thomas, AJ Green, Megatron completely change how defenses cover the rest of the field. Makes life a heck of a lot easier on a QB (always know coverage is rolling one way) and makes it possible to have a running game without having a good RB (can't stack the box and roll coverage to cover these monsters). In a lot of ways having a stud WR is kind of like having a stretch 4 in the NBA.....the impact is felt in a lot of other places than just the simple numbers that the individual player is putting up.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what he's saying is the top 5 average right now makes the Franchise Tag price a relative bargain which I agree with.

If the franchise tag was $18-20 mil per season average...I think these teams would have some pause before slapping the tag on these guys...they would be trying harder to get a long term deal done imo.
perhaps... but each situation is different based on that club's allocated cap dollars and the player himself. Dallas would love to tie Dez up long term and reduce his 2015 hit, but circumstances require some give & take from the player and the ability to see the other sides point of view. Gotta be a win/win for both sides.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just money and how teams decide to use it. It won't change the game in the least. Some teams will choose to go cheap at WR. Some will throw all their money at one guy and fill in around him. Others will put a significant amount of their cap into the position signing two or even 3 good players there. No different than what the NFL has been doing for the last couple of decades.
agree to disagree then...it's a watered down product now where health dictates returns as much as anything due limited roster slots. You make it sound like a salary cap fantasy league and sadly, you could be right going forward

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agree to disagree then...it's a watered down product now where health dictates returns as much as anything due limited roster slots. You make it sound like a salary cap fantasy league and sadly, you could be right going forward

It was right going both forward and back. It has been this way for awhile now.

You might just not have noticed it as much because your Cowboys have never drafted well enough over the last 10-15 years or so until now to have more talent on the roster than they can legitimately fit under the cap moving forward.

Drafting well is a bit of a double edge sword. You have to draft well to be good. But if you do it well, you will eventually see some really quality football players walk away from your team via FA simply because you can only afford to hand out about 7-12 vet market value contracts at any one time.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap could hit $160 million in 2016 | ProFootballTalk

I don't think it will get quite to $160M next year but it will be $150M+ by a healthy amount.

The league is STRONG right now. I do think it starts to flatten out after that a little but we will continue to see the cap continue to grow. And salaries will follow. Especially since the standard contracts (rookie deals and the vet min contracts) aren't going to expand as much as the cap will expand (meaning there is a higher % of the cap available for top guys than what we have seen in the past).
The projections are flat but they always seems to be readjusted as they come due.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
perhaps... but each situation is different based on that club's allocated cap dollars and the player himself. Dallas would love to tie Dez up long term and reduce his 2015 hit, but circumstances require some give & take from the player and the ability to see the other sides point of view. Gotta be a win/win for both sides.

idk, the DAL cap situation nor the result of the negotiation so I'll yield to your comments on that...my point is this cap people are well aware of what the future holds for various players that are pending FAs.

imo the Franchise tag buys the team more time, and it's a fairly easy decision if you have any qualms about a player or you need an extra yr to make the contract fit.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The projections are flat but they always seems to be readjusted as they come due.

NFL is a multi-billion dollar business. Not often those types of business's have flat revenue growth. And considering cap space is just a percentage of league revenue, it means you will always see steady growth. If you don't see steady growth in the cap, it means the league has quit growing. That might happen eventually....but not for quite awhile. The NFL is a behemoth and its TV ratings are off the chart compared to everything else. For a product like that, sustained growth shouldn't be an issue at all. We might not see the $10 M a year jumps we have been seeing but growth to me looks inevitable as long as the NFL doesn't screw it up and star alienating fans and sponsors which I can't see them doing.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cap could hit $160 million in 2016 | ProFootballTalk

I don't think it will get quite to $160M next year but it will be $150M+ by a healthy amount.

The league is STRONG right now. I do think it starts to flatten out after that a little but we will continue to see the cap continue to grow. And salaries will follow. Especially since the standard contracts (rookie deals and the vet min contracts) aren't going to expand as much as the cap will expand (meaning there is a higher % of the cap available for top guys than what we have seen in the past).

The players revenue is % based of NFL revenue per the CBA...so yes, the more the NFL brings in TV money the cap will follow. What I'm trying to say is the new TV money kicked in for the 2014 season...retroactively we're seeing the bump in the '15 cap.

Idt the TV money grows a great deal annually...or if it does at all...ex. CBS is paying $905 mil per season, ESPN, a billion, etc...totalling $5.5 billion...I think this is a flat number annually for the duration of the contract. I'm not saying the cap will be flat, of course the NFL does have other revenue streams.

I think the cap is adjusted to the degree that at the end of the CBA the players will have achieved their contractual %.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"dear santa..."

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL is a multi-billion dollar business. Not often those types of business's have flat revenue growth. And considering cap space is just a percentage of league revenue, it means you will always see steady growth. If you don't see steady growth in the cap, it means the league has quit growing. That might happen eventually....but not for quite awhile. The NFL is a behemoth and its TV ratings are off the chart compared to everything else. For a product like that, sustained growth shouldn't be an issue at all. We might not see the $10 M a year jumps we have been seeing but growth to me looks inevitable as long as the NFL doesn't screw it up and star alienating fans and sponsors which I can't see them doing.

Well...the ratings indicate the NFL is stronger than ever...that imo makes it harder to achieve the same incremental growth numbers year after year.

I think the London games, Mexico City, etc...is an effort to expand the brand to cultivate new growth markets. They want an 18 game season, expanded playoffs...they are definitely looking at growth opportunity.

The Gen Xers are not as in to the NFL as my generation for certain, but they have grown with the female demographic.

Kind of off topic, but one area I see the NFL going in the future for more revenue is on demand games directly to the consumer. Instead of a Sunday Ticket deal...you would be able to buy 1 game, or a whole season...just for your team...say $20 per game.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones gets 4 yrs. at 13 million per.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully like a 5 year $90M deal so it keeps Atlanta irrelevant for a while by locking up a position with insane money that's not as important as others.

As those of you who follow my posts over the years (there's like 2... one of which I think left SportsHoopla and started an animals vs. Japanese food types site) know, I genuinely rank WR as nearly last in value for a franchise. DL/QB/OL rank at the top and I do value safety play more than corner in the NFL. WR/4-3 OLB rank amongst the bottom.

A good WR for great value (last I saw was Randy Moss/Pats) excluding draft picks (because face it those are all good value) is amazing, but breaking the bank or paying them a decent sum of money is regrettable. I was never happy with Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham is toying with my level of discomfort at his salary (because face it, Graham is a WR).

Last edited:

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2015 he is going to get 10.176 million dollars but he'll be a free agent in 2016. It's very likely Atlanta gives him an extension this offseason after the draft is over. With Jeremy Maclin receiving 11 million dollars per year and Calvin Johnson receiving 16 million per year (Calvin's contract is back loaded) I have to imagine Julio will be somewhere between.

From what I can tell, somewhere between $5.00 and $20.00.

JULIO JONES football trading cards value

julio-jones-autographed-2011-upper-deck-rookie-card-becett-13-t4501527-170.jpg