• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What is it like to be a fan of a traditional power??

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would put Tenn 2nd tier and not Nebraska? Tennessee won a NC during the BCS era. NU hasn't won a conference title since 1999 and in all honesty, the days of NU ever winning conference titles and NC's are over.

:lol: so are tennessee's

outlaw okie

Racer X
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would put Tenn 2nd tier and not Nebraska? Tennessee won a NC during the BCS era. NU hasn't won a conference title since 1999 and in all honesty, the days of NU ever winning conference titles and NC's are over.

Oklahoma
Alabama
Nebraska
Tennessee
Ohio St
Michigan
USC
Notre Dame

1. Texas :yahoo:
2. PSU

3. Miami
4. FSU

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ha

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as frustrating as being a fan of any other team

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its great, when you hit a certain level of power you get your own network and don't have to share it with 13 other schools.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its great, when you hit a certain level of power you get your own network and don't have to share it with 13 other schools.

And when you get to be a good team, ESPN becomes your network.

Jmb77.gif

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since the circumstances of how a person becomes a fan are typically out of their control (family, location, some random event) OR it was a conscience decision based on some other factor (desired degree, best school you could get in, only place your could afford), the fact the a team is a traditional power has very little to do with the fan. In the worst case, it's a fan that originally hoped on board the bandwagon and has been there ever since, yet somehow thinks the team doing well or poorly is a reflection or influence on their own self worth. Which is the saddest situation of all.

I understand what you're saying, but I disagree with the bolded. I think fans have quite a bit to do with it.

Using USC and UCLA as examples: Most UCLA fans consider Terry Donahue to be the greatest football coach in their schools history. He coached there for 20 years. Yet, his performance would likely have gotten him fired at USC in less than 5 years.

Change the sports to basketball and Ben Howland gets fired at UCLA despite taking the team to 3 straight final 4's, 2 PAC Tournament Championships, 4 PAC Regular Season Championships and making the NCAA tournament in almost every one of his 10 seasons (I think they only missed it once). That same performance at USC would probably have gotten him a lifetime contract.

It's the fans who set those expectations. Donahue would have gotten fired at USC because averaging 8-4 seasons isn't good enough and fans would have complained. Howland got fired at UCLA because making the tournament every season and going to the final 4 a couple of times, isn't good enough and fans complained.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL .... :L

Maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events, but UTs sole take is going to get blown away by TAMU and the SEC, and it is likely that all the BigXII schools that left because of UTs greed are going to make more with their share than UT will make from its own network. Meanwhile, it will drive a wedge between UT and the other schools. So, if that makes you happy, I feel sorry for you.

Question: where is the LHN on this: SEC Network revenue to reportedly surpass Big Ten, Pac-12 channels combined - Saturday Down South

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events, but UTs sole take is going to get blown away by TAMU and the SEC, and it is likely that all the BigXII schools that left because of UTs greed are going to make more with their share than UT will make from its own network. Meanwhile, it will drive a wedge between UT and the other schools. So, if that makes you happy, I feel sorry for you.

Question: where is the LHN on this: SEC Network revenue to reportedly surpass Big Ten, Pac-12 channels combined - Saturday Down South

I don't get any of the money, so I don't care. UT usually tops the money list, so i'm not concerned about that either. It's just great having our own network, sucks some schools have to band together with 13 other lesser schools to form 1 network.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get any of the money, so I don't care. UT usually tops the money list, so i'm not concerned about that either. It's just great having our own network, sucks some schools have to band together with 13 other lesser schools to form 1 network.

lol

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how the shit talking ramps up exponentially the closer we get to the start of the season.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Like JohnnyD said, we don't receive any money from the LHN as alumni/fans, so it doesn't really matter. Texas will still be making around the $35M a year mark, so that's good for the program. The school isn't hurting for money and never will. As far as driving a wedge, you may want to refer to KSU, KU, WVU and OU (Sooner Network will be up and running soon) as schools who have created their own networks since Texas started the LHN. Nice try though, guy. Enjoy your shared network, which has been showing Bama and LSU the majority of the time. Not sure I've seen UGA on the SEC network yet, but I'm sure UGA will get some time soon....

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh FUCK this thread is so goddamn boring...

Next thursday cannot get here soon enough.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like JohnnyD said, we don't receive any money from the LHN as alumni/fans, so it doesn't really matter.
Yet, you both seem to find time to post about it, and one brag about it in a post and take a jab at the poor saps in the other conferences that have to share their network. But, then when I point out that you guys are on the low end of the totem pole with regard to revenue, you don't care. Got it. :L

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet, you both seem to find time to post about it, and one brag about it in a post and take a jab at the poor saps in the other conferences that have to share their network. But, then when I point out that you guys are on the low end of the totem pole with regard to revenue, you don't care. Got it. :L

They are Texas fans. Texas can buy anything it wants, they just never actually do it.

They can buy Saban, they just didn't want him.

etc.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who is on the low end of the totem pole? You're acting like the $35M a year Texas pulls in is chump change and you act like you will actually be receiving a check from the SEC Network. I don't care if UGA pulls in more revenue than Texas does from the SEC network, that's all I'm conveying here.