• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do you guys think of QB Trey Lance out of North Dakota State?

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to care about college stats, when it came to evaluating quarterbacks. Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes completely changed my mind. Now, I believe it is all about the physical and mental tools, and finding a system which will develop the quarterback. Allen and Mahomes were able to strike gold because they of their work ethic, willing to change their mechanics, and had the right people around him to succeed.
umm have u seen mahomes college stats..

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never heard of her

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can run. But he's not Vick or Lamar. Think more Cam Newton(though not quite as big). If this was any other year, like 2019 he'd probably be the #1 QB.

He isn't even close to Cam.

Guy is only 220lbs. And he runs probably a 4.85 40.

In other words he doesn't have the physical skills to add a lot of value with his legs. He just looks like he might have some ability there because of the talent (lack there of) that he was playing against. A real running QB like Murray or Jackson would still be running today if they had played the same low level of competition that Lance had faced where almost no one on the field can run a sub 4.6.

That is what is hilarious about people thinking this guy is a top 10 QB. He is going to need to absolutely wow at the combine/pro day/interviews to be taken in the 1st round.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In other words he doesn't have the physical skills to add a lot of value with his legs.

That is what is hilarious about people thinking this guy is a top 10 QB. He is going to need to absolutely wow at the combine/pro day/interviews to be taken in the 1st round.

I dunno, the way QBs are so over drafted these days, I could see someone roll the dice earlier than they should. Teams, like GB with Love, tend to suffer from being the smartest guy in the room syndrome

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno, the way QBs are so over drafted these days, I could see someone roll the dice earlier than they should. Teams, like GB with Love, tend to suffer from being the smartest guy in the room syndrome

No I agree completely. It only takes one to fall in love.

I just can't believe that anyone would spend a 1st round pick on a guy that they know isn't likely to be ready to handle the BACKUP QB duties. Taking Lance means you have to keep 3 QB's on the roster and that he will likely be inactive for 16 games next year. That fact doesn't scream 1st rounder to me personally.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I agree completely. It only takes one to fall in love.

I just can't believe that anyone would spend a 1st round pick on a guy that they know isn't likely to be ready to handle the BACKUP QB duties. Taking Lance means you have to keep 3 QB's on the roster and that he will likely be inactive for 16 games next year. That fact doesn't scream 1st rounder to me personally.

I don’t know how he thought passing on the season would benefit his stock

you know he would have destroyed that terrible conference and fooled someone into taking him way too high

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,096.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to care about college stats, when it came to evaluating quarterbacks. Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes completely changed my mind. Now, I believe it is all about the physical and mental tools, and finding a system which will develop the quarterback. Allen and Mahomes were able to strike gold because they of their work ethic, willing to change their mechanics, and had the right people around him to succeed.
Um.....

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t know how he thought passing on the season would benefit his stock

you know he would have destroyed that terrible conference and fooled someone into taking him way too high

He didnt' skip the season.....his school did.

And it does make some sense. Small programs like that would have had a tough time affording the protocols needed to play this season.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,096.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, IMO no way he falls out of the 1st round.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, IMO no way he falls out of the 1st round.
Umm it’s quite early....ppl were pumping Eason and others as first rounders at this time last year.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In other words he doesn't have the physical skills to add a lot of value with his legs. He just looks like he might have some ability there because of the talent (lack there of) that he was playing against. A real running QB like Murray or Jackson would still be running today if they had played the same low level of competition that Lance had faced where almost no one on the field can run a sub 4.6.

Cam was 6'6, 245 as a FR at Florida. And I obviously said he wasn't quite as big. Right now he's listed at 6'4, 225. So pretty much what I said. He isn't Vick or Lamar in terms of size or quickness. He's bigger, just not quite as big as Cam. He's not as fast as Vick or Lamar, and IMO is probably closer to the 4.6 that Cam ran, maybe it's 4.7, but that was the reason for this comp and not Vick/Lamar.

And that's fine with your opinion. I think he's a pretty safe bet to be a top 10/15 pick.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like a lot of stuff I see. People talk about NDSU and the competition and whatnot. I don't care about that stuff much....I tend to focus on the player, and Lance has a lot of good traits for success at the next level. Good at reading the field and decision-making. Makes throws from a busy pocket. Helluva arm....seen some Russel Wilson-type moonballs. Great footwork on his drops. What I like is how they run their offense, and I think Kyle Shanahan would like it a lot as well....lots of under center/I-formation...working his back to the defense....outside zone boot p-action.

He may be the biggest mystery out of all of the QB's, but his stock may explode. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the third QB taken. He's raw as fuck, and probably needs to sit a year. Might have the biggest upside for any QB in this draft, but that also comes with the steepest learning curve. He tries to run over defenders, and that won't work in the NFL for long. If he's there at 12, and the Niners pull the trigger, I won't be upset.