• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do you guys think of QB Trey Lance out of North Dakota State?

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't worry, if you don't know anything about him. I'll get you caught up right now. Here's some basic information:

Trey Lance was a one-year starter for North Dakota State. In his 2019 season, he won a National Title, the Walter Payton Award, and the Jerry Rice Award. Basically, he won all the top awards in his red-shirt freshman season. Statistically, he scored 42 touchdowns (28 passing, 14 rushing), passed for 2,786 yards, rushed for 1,100 yards, averaged 9.7 yards per pass, and threw 0 interceptions.

As you can tell by his stat lines above, he's very much like a Lamar Jackson or Michael Vick type of quarterback. He has a big arm and pretty deadly in the running game. Lance went to an FCS school rather than an FBS school because the Power 5 programs wanted him to play a position besides quarterback. Size-wise, he's 6'4 and 226 pounds.

Due to Covid, North Datoka State only played one game in 2020. It was against Central Arkansas. For me, the two big red flags for me is inexperience (17 starts, 19 games played) and his age. Lance was born on May 9th 2000. He'll only be 20 years old when drafted.

Currently he's rated as a first round quarterback and expected to get drafted after Lawrence, Fields and Wilson.

Here are the two best videos of him:

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not super impressed with what I saw or am looking at. You never know I guess though. Hell, Josh Allen was fucking horrible in college as far as NFL prospects go and he's playing at an elite level nowadays.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Video's don't help him. He's no Carson Wentz

RaZon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as much about the QB as it is the competition he is facing. Do prefer a QB to be out of a power five/ND conference. I know. well what about....Favre, Warner., Romo, Big Ben.? Then there is Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson, Peyton, Brees making my point.

The kid does play vs lesser caliber defenses.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They played a single game to showcase him this year, and it wasn’t great.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats don’t mean shit even if super impressive. Really impossible to tell from the short sample until the combine, interviews, etc. Right now I see him as a sit and wait QB to help him develop but the league has changed so really hard to evaluate at this point until, like I said, combine

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats don’t mean shit even if super impressive. Really impossible to tell from the short sample until the combine, interviews, etc. Right now I see him as a sit and wait QB to help him develop but the league has changed so really hard to evaluate at this point until, like I said, combine
Wonder if op has actually watched him? Or just copied from the draft sites...

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as much about the QB as it is the competition he is facing. Do prefer a QB to be out of a power five/ND conference. I know. well what about....Favre, Warner., Romo, Big Ben.? Then there is Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Wilson, Peyton, Brees making my point.

The kid does play vs lesser caliber defenses.
I don't see how that makes a difference. It's all about the physical and mental tools a quarterback has.
Flacco, Alex Smith, Steve Young, Josh Allen, David Carr, Jimmy G, Carson Wentz and Steve McNair didn't play for the ACC, PAC, Big12, Big10 or SEC.

Would you rather have Sam Darnold or Josh Allen as your quarterback? Under your logic, you take Darnold because he went to USC.

Ian Book is on my favorite college football team, but I would take Zach Wilson over him any day. I would even take him over Fields and maybe even Lawrence.

Lance is problem lies in his age and experience. The physical tools are there, clearly. The question becomes about readiness for the NFL.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
His receivers were wide open. Dude throws a pretty long ball though

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, college stats are irrelevant.

But I didn’t watch this kid play, so I got nothin.

Watched Josh Allen a few times, didn’t care about his stats, dude was a beast. Maybe that’s this kid too. Idk.

Seen him Top Ten in Mocks...

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles will probably draft him now. Because, why not, right? Then they will make sure he never reaches his potential.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is he a running QB?

because I am not a fan of running QBs

He can run. But he's not Vick or Lamar. Think more Cam Newton(though not quite as big). If this was any other year, like 2019 he'd probably be the #1 QB.

WNY_FOOTBALL_DUDE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, college stats are irrelevant.

But I didn’t watch this kid play, so I got nothin.

Watched Josh Allen a few times, didn’t care about his stats, dude was a beast. Maybe that’s this kid too. Idk.

Seen him Top Ten in Mocks...
I used to care about college stats, when it came to evaluating quarterbacks. Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes completely changed my mind. Now, I believe it is all about the physical and mental tools, and finding a system which will develop the quarterback. Allen and Mahomes were able to strike gold because they of their work ethic, willing to change their mechanics, and had the right people around him to succeed.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to care about college stats, when it came to evaluating quarterbacks. Josh Allen and Patrick Mahomes completely changed my mind. Now, I believe it is all about the physical and mental tools, and finding a system which will develop the quarterback. Allen and Mahomes were able to strike gold because they of their work ethic, willing to change their mechanics, and had the right people around him to succeed.
They changed their mechanics?