• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL What do you grade the Mariners' FO for the Cano/Diaz trade?

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But the teams you listed actually did a rebuild. The Mariners are not in a true rebuild, they have gotten rid of longer contracts for crappy short term ones. If the Mariners wanted to do a legit rebuild with the assets they had, they needed to look at the Yankees, not the Cubs or Astros. Those teams were bad enough to get top picks, Jerry has still left a team that isn’t as bad as the other tanking teams.

But the Cano/Diaz deal should be around a B to B-. They got rid of two guys who are pointless for the direction they are going but were too cheap on the deal to make it an A. The original package was an A regardless of how the prospects turned out.
No, I do believe that they are in full rebuild NOW. Yes, they took on some short term crappy contracts but it is needed in order to get rid of the long term crappy ones... the fact that they can turn these bad contracts into some prospects for a farm system that is completely dry is a plus for me. They were top 10 in payroll (165mil) last season so contractual obligations is a real issue going forward. Assuming they have a plan in place, by the time they come out the other side, all these short term contracts are gone.

Look, it's too late in the Dipoto era to blow this thing up when he should've done it from the beginning, but it would appear this is what the team is trying to do now. Be bad to get top picks.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree we should've sent more money for prospects, unfortunately that's not what happened. I have to assume that one boils down to ownership.

Regarding the team being bad enough to land top picks for a few years, I suppose we'll see. There are still some players (Leake, Gordon, Santana, Gamel, Bruce, Seager) who could be moved. Don't underestimate how bad Dipoto can make this team.

I get what you are saying but of those, only Gamel would net a decent possible return or do exactly the opposite of what this team is doing in terms of having to send the other team money for Gordon, Santana, Bruce or Seager.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I do believe that they are in full rebuild NOW. Yes, they took on some short term crappy contracts but it is needed in order to get rid of the long term crappy ones... the fact that they can turn these bad contracts into some prospects for a farm system that is completely dry is a plus for me. They were top 10 in payroll (165mil) last season so contractual obligations is a real issue going forward. Assuming they have a plan in place, by the time they come out the other side, all these short term contracts are gone.

Look, it's too late in the Dipoto era to blow this thing up when he should've done it from the beginning, but it would appear this is what the team is trying to do now. Be bad to get top picks.

They only got bad of one bad contract so I don’t get any excitement since they took back 3. In 2020 they will finally have payroll flexibility but with how piss poor Jerry has handled the players this past season they are going to have to hand out a bunch of bad contracts again.

All of this is moot obviously is every single prospect they got turns into an all star but with Jerry career track record it isn’t exactly ripe with optimism.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cano Diaz 2.jpg
Doesn't look like Diaz looks really thrilled about the move but Cano looks happy as hell or maybe he's just "high" about being back in the big apple. LOL

Cano Diaz.jpg

Like most around baseball, Edwin Diaz first learned he was heading from the Mariners to the Mets in a blockbuster seven-player trade through social media. He picked up his phone and texted Robinson Cano, the eight-time All-Star second baseman who headlined the deal.

"Hey, man, we're going to New York," Diaz told him. "Let's go there and have fun and be with the best fans in baseball."

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how anyone else feels, but I'm really gonna miss Edwin Diaz!! The Dude blew into Seattle from AA in 2017 and blasted Steve C out of his closing role and took the fans for a ride they won't soon forget. His record setting 2018 season was probably the best thing the M's have seen in a long long time. Knock em' dead Sugar. :thumb:

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give the deal a B+.

I think we could have landed more from a prospect standpoint had we moved Diaz by himself, but this was the only way we could unload Cano so we got a little less in return. In 2021 when this rebuild starts to take shape we will be better off for this move when we aren't handcuffed to Cano's deal and can actually go out and sign some legit players t fill out the young nucleus. That being said, we are landing a couple of prospects that are getting more love from scouts than probably any deal JeDi has done so far. There's always "if's" with prospects, but if this Kelenic kid turns into what most scouts are saying about him he could be the first true superstar we've had in their prime since Ichiro. That makes this deal a win for sure.

When you look at any of the deals the M's are making right now in terms of salaries anything we are getting back looks to be off the books in the next two years. So this tells me JeDi is going for returns by 2021 in this rebuild which lines up with his contract just the same. Hopefully by then some of our prospects will be ready to make the step, and we should have the cap space to make some significant splashes in free agency. For once, there is a plan in place and it's clear where that direction is going for the next few years. Either we will be legit by 2021 or JeDi will be sent packing and it's time for a new regime........AGAIN!

This is basically my take.

You probably get a little more than what you got for Diaz, but I don’t think it’s much, and the money you save after 2020 is probably worth more.

Now you just need seager to bounce back enough to move him and take another deal back there.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is perfectly ok. This is what true rebuilding mode look like.

This team will stink 2019 and 2020.... we should see result hopefully 2021. #1 draft position is a real possibility next season.

Previous teams that went into full rebuild ended up doing well are: Cubs and Astros. Teams that are on the rise due to their rebuilding are: Braves, possibly Phillies.

I understand people not wanting to lose key players, but it is needed.

Agreed... And since we'll stink the next few years, it will net us higher draft picks to support the rebuild...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how anyone else feels, but I'm really gonna miss Edwin Diaz!! The Dude blew into Seattle from AA in 2017 and blasted Steve C out of his closing role and took the fans for a ride they won't soon forget. His record setting 2018 season was probably the best thing the M's have seen in a long long time. Knock em' dead Sugar. :thumb:

Made a lot of sense to trade Diaz... With our rebuild and how bad we're going to be, there wouldn't be that many opportunities for save situations... I personally feel he peaked this year (in regards to qty of saves), which is why I'm glad we moved him while his value is very high...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I'm going to miss him a lot as well.

It's tough to say if he can replicate the results he had in 2018, but he'll probably be a damn good closer for a long time.

Wish things could've turned out differently.

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Made a lot of sense to trade Diaz... With our rebuild and how bad we're going to be, there wouldn't be that many opportunities for save situations... I personally feel he peaked this year (in regards to qty of saves), which is why I'm glad we moved him while his value is very high...
I don't have any issues with the Diaz trade, other than I strongly feel the Mets got the better end of that deal and I agree there wouldn't be much of a need for him with this outfit in 2019+. He had a lot of opportunities this past season primarily because his team seldom had enough cushion to get by without the need for a closer. What I'm gonna miss most with Diaz is the major stress and anxiety/excitement/nail biting almost every time he took to the hill. :pound:Still, I wish the best for the guy and hope we see him close out and win a game against us some where down the road. :heh:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Diaz is going to be missed for sure as he has all the potential in the world to be Mariano Rivera but better and the Yankees held onto him over Wetteland. It is a huge shame that in order for anyone to take on Cano he had to be dealt...which I still think they got short changed on the overall deal. Him becoming the closer though was only because Jerry failed with Cichek (sp?) In a perfect world he would have lost zero value because they will suck next year and have few opportunities to suck, even though Colome sucked last year and still netted a decent return from Jerry.

Mostly it sucks because they got rid of 2 closers (plus Paris, who I think would have been coveted too) who would have been coveted closers at the 2019 deadline for a backup catcher, one great prospect, one former 1st round pick who isn’t much, a fringe prospect and 3 terrible contracts that at most will exceed expectations and get dealt at the deadline. Cano didn’t need to go before Gordon or Seager but it is what it is.