• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do the lakers need to be the dominant team in Los Angeles again?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone should merge these type of threads into one giant clusterfuck.

What's wrong with this thread? I opened it expecting to find a troll thread that would be moving to fouled out. Instead, it's a good thread with good points being made.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^THIS^^^

As for Kobe, internet message board bullshit aside, no FA's have expressed any problem about playing with Kobe. Besides, it's a 2 year deal, that alone pretty well makes Kobe a non-issue. They can sign an FA to play alongside him and then another when he retires.

Dwight Howard seemed to suggest an issue playing with Kobe. I am not sure alot of players want to play along side him. I am not sure Kobe is built in a way to make him capable of being second fiddle.. which I think at this point in this career he should be. I'm not trying to bash the guy, because it is this part of his personality that has made him great. But, right now, 2014... I'm not sure it is helping the Lakers anymore.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dwight Howard seemed to suggest an issue playing with Kobe. I am not sure alot of players want to play along side him. I am not sure Kobe is built in a way to make him capable of being second fiddle.. which I think at this point in this career he should be. I'm not trying to bash the guy, because it is this part of his personality that has made him great. But, right now, 2014... I'm not sure it is helping the Lakers anymore.

First off, Dwight said that Kobe had nothing to do with his decision to leave the Lakers. 2nd, people either need to find quotes from players saying they don't want to play with him or stfu. Internet message board posters saying they don't think others want to play along side him hardly constitutes fact.

Also, Kobe doesn't need to be 2nd fiddle. It's a 2 year deal. With everything the Lakers have to offer, a top FA that couldn't handle a 1A/1B situation for a couple of seasons, doesn't need to be a Laker anyway.

With Kobe's current deal, there are 3 max level FA's that would be affected. Lebron, 'Melo and Kevin Love.

I don't see the Lakers making an offer to 'Melo and LaLa says he's staying in New York anyway (happy wife, happy life:lol:).

While I don't think the Lakers will get Lebron, Kobe will not be the reason why. I'm no Lebron fan, but the guy has proven that he can play alongside other superstars.

Kevin Love has stated that the Lakers are his top choice and that was AFTER the extension Kobe got.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's wrong with this thread. I opened it expecting to find a troll thread that would be moving to fouled out. Instead, it's a good thread with good points being made.

Nothing wrong with it, its just that its been asked numerous times.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

Here we go again with this. Thanks TF12 for replying first, I didn't feel like repeating myself.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is the last time a big time FA signed with the Lakers? Shaq in 96? And next season the Lakers will have $35 mil tied up for only 5 players. That leaves only about $23 mil to fill out the rest of the roster before you start hitting luxury tax limitations on FA players. Just resigning 4-5 players will take $10+ mil off of that number.

Best hope for the Lakers is that they stay in the #5-6 spot for the draft lottery. That is the spot that has the best odds of getting the number 1 draft pick. Otherwise it is going to be a slow rebuild despite what Lakers fans believe.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA.com analyst made it sound like the draft pick next year is an asset and actually developing that player is not on their priority list.

You also have the possibility that Love gets traded to a contender next year as the TWolves try to get whatever they can.

This is a lot more difficult than some of you are suggesting.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When is the last time a big time FA signed with the Lakers? Shaq in 96? And next season the Lakers will have $35 mil tied up for only 5 players. That leaves only about $23 mil to fill out the rest of the roster before you start hitting luxury tax limitations on FA players. Just resigning 4-5 players will take $10+ mil off of that number.

Best hope for the Lakers is that they stay in the #5-6 spot for the draft lottery. That is the spot that has the best odds of getting the number 1 draft pick. Otherwise it is going to be a slow rebuild despite what Lakers fans believe.

Lakers management has already said that they will pay the luxury tax if it means they'll have a contender (just like Dr. Buss always did). Because of the Time-Warner deal, they have more money available to them than any other team in the league.

As for signing max FA's the Lakers haven't because they haven't had to since Shaq in '96. Also, they've been capped out pretty much since they signed Shaq in '96 and it's brought them 7 finals appearances and 5 titles.

The Lakers will be jut fine and will be back quickly, despite what Suns fans (among others) believe.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA.com analyst made it sound like the draft pick next year is an asset and actually developing that player is not on their priority list.

You also have the possibility that Love gets traded to a contender next year as the TWolves try to get whatever they can.

This is a lot more difficult than some of you are suggesting.

So what if they trade Love. Unless he signs an extension, he will still be a free agent (did you learn nothing from Dwight Howard?). He has stated that the Lakers are where he wants to go. So, unless the T-Wolves can find a team that is willing to take the same risk that the Lakers did with Dwight, the T-Wolves have limited trade options.

Obviously, the new cba will make the re-build a little more challenging than in the past. But in the end, not nearly as difficult as some would like it to be.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what if they trade Love. Unless he signs an extension, he will still be a free agent (did you learn nothing from Dwight Howard?). He has stated that the Lakers are where he wants to go. So, unless the T-Wolves can find a team that is willing to take the same risk that the Lakers did with Dwight, the T-Wolves have limited trade options.

Obviously, the new cba will make the re-build a little more challenging than in the past. But in the end, not nearly as difficult as some would like it to be.
You're making the assumption that Love would pass up a really good opportunity to play for a contender. Dwight Howard chose the contender.

The Lakers are going to need a coach and another star to get Love, imo. Can they do that? Of course. Is it a given? Not even close. Love is a top 10 player but if you're wanting to win, you need to be paired with a top 20 player as well at the very minimum.

The West is brutally deep and if Im a Free Agent, the East looks awfully nice

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol TF12, dont hurt them now!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're making the assumption that Love would pass up a really good opportunity to play for a contender. Dwight Howard chose the contender.

The Lakers are going to need a coach and another star to get Love, imo. Can they do that? Of course. Is it a given? Not even close. Love is a top 10 player but if you're wanting to win, you need to be paired with a top 20 player as well at the very minimum.

The West is brutally deep and if Im a Free Agent, the East looks awfully nice

I agree with much of what you say. However, Love apparently has no issues because he has the Lakers at the top of his list and that is with the current coach, in the current situation.

Additionally, the Lakers will be a contender again soon. Unlike Dwight, who wanted to walk into a championship, Love seems to actually want to be the guy that a team builds a contender around. That's part of the reason why his relationship with T-Wolves management deteriorated like it did. T-Wolves management basically said they didn't think he was a player you could build around. The Lakers have proven to be pretty adept at building contenders.

It's possible that D'Antoni's offense is part of the reason for Love's interest in the Lakers. He would be the perfect "stretch 4" that D'Antoni's offense needs. He'd likely actually be even better in D'Antoni's offense than he is now.

As for top 20 players. He would have one season with Kobe (we'll see what he has left) and then the Lakers can go after another max FA the next season when Kobe retires. The main rumors now are Love and Westbrook which actually makes a fair amount of sense given that they were teammates at UCLA and Westbrook is from L.A.

Obviously, we have the rest of this season and all of next season to get through and a lot can happen. But as of right now, it looks good. As for choosing the East because the West it so deep. Wouldn't a true competitor want the more difficult path?

Last edited by a moderator:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Rajon Rondo comes to the Lakers, I'm done. I'll be a Warriors fan.

The Lakers have their first round draft pick, so the only thing they need to do now is continue tanking and make sure they get a first round in the top five and perhaps get a lottery ball bounce in their favor.
They don't need Rondo

Then with the salary they got open, they can add a couple of good players and mabe get lucky with the next Kevin Durant or Lebron James in the draft.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love and his agent must have a plan I suspect. He needs to get to a team so he can then get a max contract from that team.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next years draft pick, Kevin Love, and a new coach.

This exactly. It will take 2 years.

1) Get Exum or Smart in this year's draft. Need a top 5/6 pick;
2) Get Kevin Love in 2 years;
3) Get a new coach next year after "operation tank" is done with this year.

I could actually see us re-signing Pau for less money. Imagine a roster with:

Exum/Smart; Kobe; Love; Pau; and a good coach... I'll put that roster up against anyone.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be more than happy to see Pau go if he asks for too much and we get lucky enough to draft Embiid.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You Laker fans are living in a fantasy land if you think Kobe had nothing to do with Dwight leaving. Believe what you want. Kyrie Irving also said he wasnt going to leave the Cavs.. believe that too?

Multiple report surfaced Dwight wanted Kobe's role reduced. Whatever though guys. Kobe got you 5 titles. so you will take his side no matter what. Enjoy the twilight of his career and the lottery. You guys wont be good again until he is gone.

Report: Dwight Howard Wanted The Lakers To Phase Out Kobe Bryant
Dwight Howard reportedly wanted Kobe Bryant amnestied, Mike D'Antoni fired - SBNation.com
Dwight Howard wanted end to Kobe Bryant era with Los Angeles Lakers - ESPN Los Angeles
Jamison: Kobe-Dwight Friction Was Bad « Hang Time Blog with Sekou Smith | NBA.com
SLAM ONLINE | » Dwight Howard Reportedly Wanted Kobe Bryant, Mike D?Antoni Out

I can keep posting. But I am sure where there is smoke there is no fire in this case. Keep on believing Kobe had nothing to do with Dwight leaving.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcjzHMhBtf0]Journey - Don't Stop Believin' (Live in Houston) - YouTube[/ame]

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You Laker fans are living in a fantasy land if you think Kobe had nothing to do with Dwight leaving. Believe what you want. Kyrie Irving also said he wasnt going to leave the Cavs.. believe that too?

Multiple report surfaced Dwight wanted Kobe's role reduced. Whatever though guys. Kobe got you 5 titles. so you will take his side no matter what. Enjoy the twilight of his career and the lottery. You guys wont be good again until he is gone.

Report: Dwight Howard Wanted The Lakers To Phase Out Kobe Bryant
Dwight Howard reportedly wanted Kobe Bryant amnestied, Mike D'Antoni fired - SBNation.com
Dwight Howard wanted end to Kobe Bryant era with Los Angeles Lakers - ESPN Los Angeles
Jamison: Kobe-Dwight Friction Was Bad « Hang Time Blog with Sekou Smith | NBA.com
SLAM ONLINE | » Dwight Howard Reportedly Wanted Kobe Bryant, Mike D?Antoni Out

I can keep posting. But I am sure where there is smoke there is no fire in this case. Keep on believing Kobe had nothing to do with Dwight leaving.

Journey - Don't Stop Believin' (Live in Houston) - YouTube

Read everyone of those old articles when they first came out and everyone of them is speculation (just like on the message boards).

We do, however, have Dwight stating that Kobe had nothing to do with it.

Nice try.

There is no question that Kobe and Dwight had a difference of opinion on how the team should be led. Kobe said as much himself. As I pointed out in a previous post, a guy with zero rings thought he knew more about winning rings that a guy with 5.

End of the day, the Lakers will be better off in the long run without Dwight and Houston won't win a title building around him.