• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What changes would you like to see in the NFL?

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your thinking here.
At least they could make it Superbowl Saturday.

I can't take credit for that, I've heard it batted around for years.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your thinking here.
At least they could make it Superbowl Saturday.

You would think this is the lowest of the low hanging fruit.

is the NFL really that worried about college basketball games?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like a lot of this.

Contracts...like the guaranteed part, but I think teams still should have the ability to cut players. Instead of the entire remaining contract getting wiped out, the player still gets the money, but the team has to 50% of their salary on the cap for each yr remaining...players get paid, teams get some cap relief if they cut the player, but not complete cap relief.

Get rid of the signing bonus loop holes. Every team spends at least 95% of the cap every season.

As much as I would like to see a farm system in the NFL...I think it would do wonders for QB play, I'm not sure we'll ever get there.

with the money schools make from college football, but may have to cut sports as they get less and less public funds...it may not be quite as far fetched.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Guys may not play.

But anyone who is healthy on the 25 man can play.

the nfl is the equivalent of saying that MLB teams can only choose to activate 20 guys for a given game.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the money schools make from college football, but may have to cut sports as they get less and less public funds...it may not be quite as far fetched.

Yeah...some of the smaller tier schools that can't cut it may have to drop down a level to keep sports, but the major football factories are going to keep it rolling as long as they can get bodies.

If the NFL had a true developmental league with sponsors and a summer league TV deal. I think we'd finally see colleges pay the players.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like a lot of this.

Contracts...like the guaranteed part, but I think teams still should have the ability to cut players. Instead of the entire remaining contract getting wiped out, the player still gets the money, but the team has to 50% of their salary on the cap for each yr remaining...players get paid, teams get some cap relief if they cut the player, but not complete cap relief.

Get rid of the signing bonus loop holes. Every team spends at least 95% of the cap every season.

As much as I would like to see a farm system in the NFL...I think it would do wonders for QB play, I'm not sure we'll ever get there.

Your idea of cutting players is nearly identical to my idea of buying-out players. I would have no problem with the implementation as you detailed.

I agree that a true minor league is a long shot, but one that certainly should be. A huge reason it's a long shot is money... ...money the universities/NCAA makes on being a de-facto minor league using "amateur" players, the amount of money TV networks make on the "amateur" "minor league" and the amount of money the NFL makes on the draft of those "amateurs". I think the best chance of getting there is if an Ed O'Bannon type of federal lawsuit wins big and destroys status quo.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your idea of cutting players is nearly identical to my idea of buying-out players. I would have no problem with the implementation as you detailed.

I agree that a true minor league is a long shot, but one that certainly should be. A huge reason it's a long shot is money... ...money the universities/NCAA makes on being a de-facto minor league using "amateur" players, the amount of money TV networks make on the "amateur" "minor league" and the amount of money the NFL makes on the draft of those "amateurs". I think the best chance of getting there is if an Ed O'Bannon type of federal lawsuit wins big and destroys status quo.

Yep, never going to bite that hand feeding them...and it's only getting worse as these CFB TV contracts get larger...CFB HCs now make $3 to 5mil per season, some north of that.

CBB has changed a great deal, but it has survived the NBA D league and the one and done...it's mostly a handful of Duke-NC type matchups during the regular season and March Madness but it's still bringing in plenty of cash. If the colleges would come into the new millennium, they could easily withstand a summer NFL D league.

What's really sad it a lot of these institutions of higher learning (i.e. football factory schools are on the tit of the football program, and they need that money now.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys may not play.

But anyone who is healthy on the 25 man can play.

the nfl is the equivalent of saying that MLB teams can only choose to activate 20 guys for a given game.
SP don't play more than once every 4 or 5 days. And, aren't available until after at least 3 days after their last start. Plus relief pitchers can only pitch so many days in a row before they are unavailable. So, not true.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SP don't play more than once every 4 or 5 days. And, aren't available until after at least 3 days after their last start. Plus relief pitchers can only pitch so many days in a row before they are unavailable. So, not true.

Not true. They pinch run and pinch hits

But in the nfl situation you can’t. Those players are totally locked out. 8 more players would make for more depth with injuries.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how many of these have been covered but

No automatic replays. If you want to reverse a call throw the red flag. If you're correct no foul if you lose you lose a time out. No time outs, no replays/challenges.

Replays done in real time not in slow motion with a time limit.

It'll never happen but get rid of the Thursday package on in the very least have it after the teams bye week. Those games generally suck.

Start the preseason a week later, add a 2nd bye (Health and to better schedule the Thursday games), have Superbowl Sunday the day before Presidents Day.

Change the rule where if a team fumbles going into the end zone and it goes out of bounds. Right now it's a turnover and the other team gets the ball on the 20. Anywhere else the team retains the ball at the spot of the fumble or where it goes out of bound. The team retains the ball at the spot of the fumble.

I think the replay has to be done in slow-mo, but i agree with the time limit. As soon as the ref turns on the replay machine, it should have a auto time out, if he can't make a determination in the alloted time, the play stands.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get rid of commercials between kickoffs and starting a drive.
30 second play clock.
Get rid of replay.
Unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for complain8ng to an official.
Auto disqual for trying to kill an opponent.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would think this is the lowest of the low hanging fruit.

is the NFL really that worried about college basketball games?
I agree. College basketball would just move their games to Sunday.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the cheerleaders.

Some of these teams hire cheerleaders with the flattest chests in the country.

Seriously.

What the fuck!

Big tittie, little tittie...I don't care as long as it's bare tittie!!!

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Increase season roster to 60 to include temporary IR.
Increase game day roster by 2 or have two on standby for a player that enters concussion protocol.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The homophobia on this board nauseates me. I pray all of you have gay kids or grandchildren so maybe you can learn how disgusting this all is. I’m convinced you’d guys would say the same thing about other minorities if you could. Sad. Low class. Heart filled with anger and hate. I understand some guys say “gay” from time to time but we have some callous dirt bags who take it to another level. Makes me want to vomit and quit posting on this board.

stfu

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah...some of the smaller tier schools that can't cut it may have to drop down a level to keep sports, but the major football factories are going to keep it rolling as long as they can get bodies.

If the NFL had a true developmental league with sponsors and a summer league TV deal. I think we'd finally see colleges pay the players.

Problem with your theory is that a development league could get big sponsors or enough money to be profitable. It wouldn't and can't. Disney is teetering right now and debating on whether or not to cut ESPN. Fox maybe, but doubtful as they can't afford enough to take over college football. There just isn't enough money unless the NBA or MLB tank. A development league will be at a loss no matter what like the NFL Europe.

The NFL owners needs to suck it up and realize taking a loss can be a gain in the future if they develop enough players to not leave franchises screwed because they waste picks that aren't ready to play. And the NFLPA most likely wouldn't be on board like the MLB or NBA PA's are because the payouts are much greater with second contracts for developmental guys. Scrub baseball and basketball players get $15 million a year, developmental football players wouldn't sniff that.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with your theory is that a development league could get big sponsors or enough money to be profitable. It wouldn't and can't. Disney is teetering right now and debating on whether or not to cut ESPN. Fox maybe, but doubtful as they can't afford enough to take over college football. There just isn't enough money unless the NBA or MLB tank. A development league will be at a loss no matter what like the NFL Europe.

The NFL owners needs to suck it up and realize taking a loss can be a gain in the future if they develop enough players to not leave franchises screwed because they waste picks that aren't ready to play. And the NFLPA most likely wouldn't be on board like the MLB or NBA PA's are because the payouts are much greater with second contracts for developmental guys. Scrub baseball and basketball players get $15 million a year, developmental football players wouldn't sniff that.

Developmental baseball players get 1500 a month for 6 months

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Developmental baseball players get 1500 a month for 6 months

And the unions and players are cool with that because the payoff for it is better than any other American sport. MLB teams also help pay for college for kids they drafted to keep their rights when they come out of college. The NFL can do a developmental league but will have to go all in on and accept that they will lose money to start off with.