• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What are your thoughts 2nite on Lue?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The source of this article is woj article. Either they misunderstood that most of that article was about last year... or they're deliberately implying it's about what happened this week for click bait.

I disagree. The article clearly states that Jackson was the Lebron camps choice to replace Blatt since last season and that once it became clear that wasn't going to happen, Lue became the preferred choice and the call has grown louder recently:

Once James' camp realized that Jackson would never be considered as coach – nor would Lue leave his representation to join Klutch Sports agency, despite overtures – Lue became a compromise choice for James' group, sources said. They started pushing for Lue to replace Blatt last season, and grew louder in those calls in recent days and weeks.

To me, this says that Lebron has wanted him gone almost since he arrived back in Cleveland and that, as pretty much everyone has said, Blatt never had a chance because Lebron never gave him one.

And what's this crap about Lebron trying to make sure the whole Cavs organization signs on with Klutch Sports?

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. The article clearly states that Jackson was the Lebron camps choice to replace Blatt since last season and that once it became clear that wasn't going to happen, Lue became the preferred choice and the call has grown louder recently:

To me, this says that Lebron has wanted him gone almost since he arrived back in Cleveland and that, as pretty much everyone has said, Blatt never had a chance because Lebron never gave him one.

And what's this crap about Lebron trying to make sure the whole Cavs organization signs on with Klutch Sports?

You'd think the NBA or NBAPA would step in on this. The latter scenario has disaster written all over it for a variety of reasons.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'd think the NBA or NBAPA would step in on this. The latter scenario has disaster written all over it for a variety of reasons.

Honestly, I don't know what either entity could do about it. Plus, I'm not sure the players association would want to do anything about it. They probably love the idea of players having that kind of power.

Blatt certainly isn't the first coach to ever be fired because the star player wanted him gone and Lue isn't the first coach hired to appease a star player.

I think the biggest differences this time are that it's so blatant and we've never seen it happen to a coach halfway into a season, whose team had the best record in their conference.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually from what I have read, Lue might end up being better then expected. His basic approach for the first game is that the Cavs lost because they are not properly conditioned to run an up tempo game and the new rotations. Lue feels that they need to be better conditioned to play longer and faster. It remains to be seen what kind of coach he will be, but I do agree with his approach so far. I do think if the Cavs are going to win in the finals, they will need to pick up their tempo and be prepared to run closer to the Warriors pace.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually from what I have read, Lue might end up being better then expected. His basic approach for the first game is that the Cavs lost because they are not properly conditioned to run an up tempo game and the new rotations. Lue feels that they need to be better conditioned to play longer and faster. It remains to be seen what kind of coach he will be, but I do agree with his approach so far. I do think if the Cavs are going to win in the finals, they will need to pick up their tempo and be prepared to run closer to the Warriors pace.

Unfortunately they have to implement that with less than half a season to go. Also, conditioning plays a part as well.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately they have to implement that with less than half a season to go. Also, conditioning plays a part as well.
Yeah, that's going to be a bitch, but honestly I think it's the only shot they have. I had a few on realgm saying that wasn't the answer, and granted they still need to play defense, but even with that the Cav's have to get faster if they want to win. I don't know if you remember the Lakers with Shaq and Kobe, but there was one series that they picked up the tempo and won. I think that might have been the Spurs in the WCF's

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets just see what happens...its gonna be a fun ride from here to June....who knows whats gonna happen next.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was ready for a REAL early end to the Ty Lue era when I saw none of the Big 3 on the court in the first quarter. I had thought he had lost his mind. Little did I know that they had all begged out of the game beacuse they were gassed. Unbelievable. This team should have been playing up tempo FOREVER....finally...talk of getting Love more touches at the elbow! Finally......its gonna take some time to tear it down and rebuilt it but i feel better about the Cavs chances now then i did after that destruction Monday i wil ltell ya that.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was ready for a REAL early end to the Ty Lue era when I saw none of the Big 3 on the court in the first quarter. I had thought he had lost his mind. Little did I know that they had all begged out of the game beacuse they were gassed. Unbelievable. This team should have been playing up tempo FOREVER....finally...talk of getting Love more touches at the elbow! Finally......its gonna take some time to tear it down and rebuilt it but i feel better about the Cavs chances now then i did after that destruction Monday i wil ltell ya that.
That really blew my mind - I mean - really? In all of the years Kobe and Shaq played, they never asked to come out of the game and that was even when they were ready to pass out. I remember Phil said once Kobe would hop around on leg if they would let him.

Bottom line is - yes - they simply have to get into better conditioning and start running a faster tempo game. I think that was the change that the management saw. They saw that and decided it was time for a change. I expect that they had a talk with Lue about that already and he agreed

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone really read all the articles about this and still think David Blatt should have been coach?

1. AMUNDSON: It’s hard for a rookie coach to come in and be in a situation like that where one guy [James] is such a big influence on a whole organization,’’ Amundson said. “That’s a tough position to be in. However, you need in that situation to be assertive and make sure your players know you’re going to hold them accountable, every one of them, and they’re going to respect you. In the NBA, coaching is more managing than coaching.
“It’s important to just be assertive and not let that happen. Hold everybody accountable, otherwise you lose respect and attention of your guys.’’
Amundson has been in plenty of locker rooms — the Knicks are his 10th team. He couldn’t believe, despite the horrendous record, the texture of the Knicks’ room was more closely knit than in Cleveland.
“It didn’t feel like it should feel,’’ Amundson said. “A team with championship aspirations, that’s not how it was supposed to feel. Teams go through ups and downs, but I just think the atmosphere and energy wasn’t there. It wasn’t a healthy atmosphere. Teams go through issues, but it still feels you work through stuff being productive. In that disagreement, it didn’t feel like that. But they did manage to get it together.’’

2. HAYWOOD:
“From what I was hearing, David Blatt kind of lost the team,” Haywood told hosts Justine Termine and former NBA player Eddie Johnson. “Then there were differences about what guys should be playing and what guys weren’t playing, from a management-coaching standpoint.
“When you throw in those type of things combined with the fact that Tyronn Lue already had a lot of power in the organization, had a lot of traction, and a lot of people that were there already viewed him as the coach, these type of things happen.”
Lue, 38, the Cavs’ associate coach was promoted to Blatt’s position Friday, agreeing to a new multi-year deal. There had been reports last season that Cleveland players heeded Lue’s instructions, confided in him and leaned more on his advice than on Blatt’s.
“It’s unfortunate because David Blatt’s a good guy,” the 7-footer said. “He was in first place. I’ve never seen a coach in first place fired. And on top of that, they’re in first place and their second-best player [Kyrie Irving] didn’t play most of the first part of the season.”
But there were legitimate reasons for the change that Haywood specified in the satellite radio interview. Among his charges: Blatt had a double standard toward James that other Cavaliers players resented.
“Coach Blatt was very hesitant to challenge LeBron James,” Haywood said. “It was one of those situations where, being a rookie coach, and LeBron being bigger than life, it was a little too much for him. I remember we had James Jones [talk] to Coach about how, ‘Hey, you can’t just skip over when LeBron James makes a mistake in the film room.’ Because we all see it.
“And we’re like, ‘Hey, you didn’t say anything about that. You’re going to correct when Matthew Dellavedova‘s not in the right spot. You’re going to say something when Tristan Thompson‘s not in the right spot. Well, we see a fast break and LeBron didn’t get back on defense or there’s a rotation and he’s supposed to be there, and you just keep rolling the film and the whole room is quiet.’ We see that as players. That’s when … as a player, you start to lose respect for a coach.
“Slowly but surely, that respect started chipping away where he would kind of be scared to correct LeBron in film sessions. When he would call every foul for LeBron in practice. Those type of things add up. Guys are like, ‘C’mon man, are you scared of him?’ ”

3. TIMEOUTS
Word circulated to cleveland.com that Blatt had trouble drawing up plays out of timeouts. He would freeze up and waste precious seconds, one player said. He would even draw up plays for players who weren't in the game, another player said.
In the closeout game of the Eastern Conference Finals, a game the Cavaliers trounced the Atlanta Hawks by 30 to sweep the series; Blatt had signaled for Tristan Thompson to reenter in the closing minutes with the game already wrapped up. This was when Thompson was the team's most valuable big man with Kevin Love out of commission with a dislocated shoulder.
Word circulated to cleveland.com that Blatt had trouble drawing up plays out of timeouts. He would freeze up and waste precious seconds, one player said. He would even draw up plays for players who weren't in the game, another player said.
In the closeout game of the Eastern Conference Finals, a game the Cavaliers trounced the Atlanta Hawks by 30 to sweep the series; Blatt had signaled for Tristan Thompson to reenter in the closing minutes with the game already wrapped up. This was when Thompson was the team's most valuable big man with Kevin Love out of commission with a dislocated shoulder.

Timeouts had been an issue already. Blatt mismanaged them early in the season and sometimes turned to Lue about when to execute certain timeouts. Teams can take advantage of certain mandatory timeouts and conserve options, something with which Blatt had issues. When he tried to explain what happened, he made the situation worse.
"A basketball coach makes 150 to 200 critical decisions during the course of a game, something that I think is paralleled only by a fighter pilot," Blatt said.

4. CHICAGO PLAYOFFS - TIMEOUT WHEN THEY HAD NONE- calling a timeout without one- and then having LeBron INBOUND the ball and NOT take the last shot that LeBron vetoed-

5. PACE AND SHAPE: The team is not in good shape and while it is top 5 in offensive efficiency- for a team with LeBron and Kyrie to be bottom 5 in pace is RIDICULOUS- when you have 2 of the BESt open court- guys to push the ball in the league-- thats what you do

6. USE OF KEVIN LOVE: Maybe hte most egregious of Blatts failures. IMMEDIATELY- Lue has said what anyone with common sense has said FOREVER--- get Love the ball at the elbows were he is the most productive and where he can post up as he is a VERY GOOD post scorer-- instead of relegating him to a stretch 4 like Blatt MOSTLY did.--- SUPPOSEDLY--- Blatt told friends in Israel-- "Its either me or Kevin Love" (leaving)...WOW...

7. CONNECTION AND COMMUNICATION WITH PLAYERS: That night, the Cleveland Cavaliers had defeated the Chicago Bulls for their first win of the season and Blatt's first win as an NBA coach. The players waited for him in the locker room, and when he emerged from his office they mobbed him, mussed his hair and yelled. They presented him with the game ball. Blatt accepted it with a smile, but he was also annoyed.

"I've been a head coach for 22 years. People overlook that too easily and, I think, unfairly," Blatt said last season. "I am not now, nor have I have been for quite some time, a rookie coach."

8. LUE AS RUNNER UP AND ASSISTANT:
"David was hired to coach a developmental team and young players who would've wanted to please him," one team source said. "He ended up coaching a finished product where the players expected him to please them."
To complicate matters, the Cavs hired the runner-up for the job, Lue, to be Blatt's assistant. To keep him away from the Clippers, the Cavs gave him a record four-year, $6.5 million deal -- for an assistant. Gilbert would later call the coaching staff the best he had assembled in his time as owner.
Blatt endorsed the Lue move, which many in the league saw as an immediate undercutting of the head coach. Never before could anyone remember the runner-up for a job being hired as the lead assistant, and it was taken as an example of Blatt's NBA inexperience. Blatt also didn't understand that he would have to earn players' respect; it would not be instantly given.

9. OTHER PLAYERS (BESIDES LEBRON) GET ANNOYED: During games, Cavs players complained about the coach to opposing players. Once, while on the road, an injured Cavs player used the home team's therapy pool and complained about Blatt, with his thoughts literally echoing throughout the home locker room.

On Christmas Day, the Cavs made a much-anticipated visit to Golden State for a premier game on the NBA schedule. With a fully healthy roster, Blatt coached as if it were a playoff game, and he slashed his rotation. Richard Jefferson didn't play for the first time all season. Mo Williams and James Jones saw their minutes reduced. Roles were changed on the fly. Certainly, Blatt had to make some tough choices with the healthy roster, but all of them came as surprises to the players, and that triggered a cascade of anger and frustration.

Although it might seem minor to offend back-end rotation players, the move ripped open some wounds from the previous season pertaining to the lack of respect for Blatt within the team. Privately, the players cursed Blatt, and their agents started complaining heavily behind the scenes. Whatever goodwill had been fostered seemed to be blowing up.

WHOEVER THINKS BLATT SHOULD HAVE STAYED AFTER ALL THAT----well....to quote Billy Madison--- I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. In those people's defense though- MOST of this stuff was not known to the public TILL AFTER the firing.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still unusual for a coach like Blatt to be fired though in the middle of the season when he has led the team to the finals and appears to be headed the to the same place in the finals. I was surprised but gave the Cavaliers the benefit of the doubt mainly because I figured they saw things that I did not see and clearly I think they did. The only question that remains now is if those changes will actually help

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone really read all the articles about this and still think David Blatt should have been coach?

I take a lot of that with a grain of salt. Kind of like Lebron claiming to be surprised that Blatt got fired when we all know that the only surprise for him was that it took this long. He's been wanting the change since last year. It's been so widely criticized that they had to come out and say something.

Having said that though, it seems fairly obvious that something wasn't right. You had Lebron bypassing the head coach during timeouts to talk to Lue, you had him and other players ignoring Blatt's plays and running what they wanted and maybe worst of all as was mentioned in the article, no one on the Cavs seemed to have much energy or cohesiveness. Their 30-11 record going into that game was obviously masking deeper issues and them showing up with no energy at home in, what Kyrie called a statement game, really showed that.

As others have said, Blatt was put into an impossible position the instant Lebron agreed to return. He was a coach that had never even been an NBA assistant who was taking over a very young team that he was supposed to get to learn and grow with. The instant Lebron agreed to return, he went from that to being the head coach of a title contender. That's an incredible boost in pressure. Lebron never really giving him a chance pretty well sealed his fate.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they might need to add better shooters into the equation. What they have now just isn't gonna get it done against GS in a 7 game series regardless of how fast they play.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they might need to add better shooters into the equation. What they have now just isn't gonna get it done against GS in a 7 game series regardless of how fast they play.
Well, we can only hope it's not enough for the Cavaliers and yes, I hope they lose

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lue seems like a downgrade as coach to me not an upgrade. Got to think it's going to be another title less year for the Cavs.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see, Wiggy tells us we shouldn't be surprised that Blatt was fired because he's essentially a corch.

Yet this motherfucker spewed out his mouth how the Cavs were going to win 70 games and the NBA title in the preseason.

Blatt never had a chance because Lebron never gave him a chance. Ironic that some are crowning Lue, when he has just about the same amount of experience being a head coach in the NBA as Blatt did when he took the job last season. Hypocrisy at its finest.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see, Wiggy tells us we shouldn't be surprised that Blatt was fired because he's essentially a corch.

Yet this motherfucker spewed out his mouth how the Cavs were going to win 70 games and the NBA title in the preseason.

Blatt never had a chance because Lebron never gave him a chance. Ironic that some are crowning Lue, when he has just about the same amount of experience being a head coach in the NBA as Blatt did when he took the job last season. Hypocrisy at its finest.

I hear what you're saying, but Lue has way more NBA experience than Blatt did... just not as a head coach. That's not where I'm worried about Lue. That's the pro's to Lue's resume, imo. Where he lacks is in x's and o's and actual in-game coaching... which Blatt had a ton more experience in.