• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What 3 playoff teams in 2018 will miss the playoffs in 2019?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are you going with ill-fitting insults you know don't apply instead of just admitting you were wrong?
Did I contest that Carlson was indeed meeting expectations and performing up to his standards from last season?

Because of the "predictions" (most aren't, they're mostly points but let's soften this for you) in this list...

I could just let my reasons from earlier stand but...

-Rookie coach. their 5th in 6 years

-Holtby was awful in the regular season last year

-This team was an OT goal away from going down 3-0 and almost being assured of a first round elimination by Columbus

-They re-signed Orpik

-Highly doubt Carlson finishes anywhere near last season's production

-3 of their 5 top scorers last year are 30+ and Carlson will be a year shy of 30 by the time he's scoring his 10th point of the season

-Half the squad just played more than 14 games in the playoffs for the first time ever and their best player is probably 84% champagne & vodka at this point

-Not sure who these "young 3rd and 4th liners" are but let's say we're talking about Burakovsky and Vrana. Progress would be one of them getting to 40 pts. That's not exactly game-changing.

-Before the Penguins' back-to-back, 4 of the last 6 Cup winners either went out in the first round or didn't make the playoffs the next season

All that needs to happen is Pittsburgh, NJ, Philly and Columbus finish ahead of them and they're probably out of the playoffs. That wouldn't be unbelievable to me at all.

...that appears to be the only thing I said that I thought or doubted or expected that has been wrong other than thinking a couple of their division rivals would step up and make things difficult for the Caps.

Unless you think Vrana reaching 40 points is "game changing" for some weird reason there's nothing there to base this idea that I'm "wrong" about anything here at this point. I never said Vrana or Burakovsky wouldn't reach 40, I said that's what "progress" would be considered for those two. So again, I was right. One of them progressed.

We done? Or do you need to keep arguing nothing like a small-market fan?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We done? Or do you need to keep arguing nothing like a small-market fan?

DSC05076.JPG

:hungry::pop2::playball:

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking a Leafs - Caps playoff series could be fun:fencing:

Since that would mean the Caps would have advanced to the conference finals and the Lightning have been eliminated, this small-market fan 100% supports that. :thumb:

#MAGA

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking a Leafs - Caps playoff series could be fun:fencing:
I don't think the Leafs have much of a chance of getting out of the first round let alone the second because I have this weird ability to look objectively at my team and realize that they probably aren't geared to beat Boston nor TB in a 7 game playoff series.

Only shot is if Washington gets WC2, beats TB and Toronto gets past Boston. But that would mean young superstar Jakob Vrana has faltered down the stretch which obviously isn't happening.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Bloody Brian Burke Sigh. Since you insist on continuing to take shots instead of the very simple "yup, i was wrong" - your comments in bold below. They were either irrelevant or wrong. All of them. Every single one. Not the "only thing" as you suggested. Every damn one of them. I'm sorry, I'm a trained debater on a slow day and I just love picking apart a weak argument, so this really wasn't a fair fight.

-Rookie coach. their 5th in 6 years

Weak relevance. Very experienced assistant coach. Has done just fine. No evidence to suggest rookie coaches make the playoffs less than experienced counterparts, especially when entering with a solid team (which is a much stronger indicator). The last 4 new Caps' coaches made the playoffs in their first season.

-Holtby was awful in the regular season last year

Irrelevant, actually argues against your conclusion. Terrible argument for them missing the playoffs because by this presumption Holtby could be awful again and they could still expect to make the playoffs. As it happens, he is somewhat below career performance and yet they are leading the division. Hockey Reference puts their chances of making the playoffs at 97%.

-This team was an OT goal away from going down 3-0 and almost being assured of a first round elimination by Columbus

Irrelevant. Performance in the playoffs irrelevant to whether a team makes the playoffs again except that it shows the team was definitely in the previous playoffs, which IS an indicator the team is likely to make the playoffs again as most of the previous year's participants usually do. (10 of last year's 16 teams still in playoff position, 4 more of them still closely in the hunt)

-They re-signed Orpik

Irrelevant. As a 3D who won't play every night and is one of the lowest paid players on the team. Nothing hurting there. Few teams have great blue liners in their third pairing.

-Highly doubt Carlson finishes anywhere near last season's production

Wrong.

-3 of their 5 top scorers last year are 30+ and Carlson will be a year shy of 30 by the time he's scoring his 10th point of the season

Wrong. All three (OV, Backstrom, Oshie) on pace to exceed last season's total points. They are 33, 31, and 32 respectively. Not at peak performance, but still inside the prime window and not old enough you would expect any significant fall off yet.

-Half the squad just played more than 14 games in the playoffs for the first time ever and their best player is probably 84% champagne & vodka at this point

Wrong. Only Smith-Pelly came into camp out of shape.

-Not sure who these "young 3rd and 4th liners" are but let's say we're talking about Burakovsky and Vrana. Progress would be one of them getting to 40 pts. That's not exactly game-changing.

Irrelevant, actually argues against you again. Game changing not needed to make the playoffs. Improved performance from depth forwards certainly improves ability to make the playoffs. Oh, and Vrana has upped his productivity by more than 50% this year and his shot % is up 5%, so yeah, he's definitely someone to be excited about at only 23 and his second full season.

-Before the Penguins' back-to-back, 4 of the last 6 Cup winners either went out in the first round or didn't make the playoffs the next season

Mostly irrelevant. Which is it? Missed the playoffs or went out in the first round. Because one is relevant here and the other is not. Winning the Cup is generally a good indicator of making the playoffs again the next year as performance changes generally happen slowly, especially when team personnel (and esp. high performers) are largely the same.

-All that needs to happen is Pittsburgh, NJ, Philly and Columbus finish ahead of them and they're probably out of the playoffs. That wouldn't be unbelievable to me at all.

Wrong. Not unbelievable, you're right, but we are talking about likelihoods. Currently NONE of those teams are ahead of the Washington Capitals, and certainly not ALL of them. In fact, those teams occupy 4 of the bottom 5 positions in the division at present. So not close.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is literally the hockey version of a Breitbart comment section.

Is it? You had the smart ass insults irrelevant to what we were talking about (trump supporter, small market fan). I just presented your statements.

What a total bitch out.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a total bitch out.
Shouldn't there be a "cuck" in there somewhere? Have I been red-pilled?

Or do you have to go through some more 6 month old posts and label each one "IRRELEVANT!" or "WEAK RELEVANCE!" in order for said red-pilling to have been completed?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shouldn't there be a "cuck" in there somewhere? Have I been red-pilled?

Nope. Because I wasn't making silly comments like that. You were.

And even now refuse to because you know you were completely fucking wrong.

Where is this big market hockey knowledge you were talking about?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it wrong that I'm also :pop2:'ing to an argument I am (marginally) involved in?

And now here come the excuses.

You wrote a whole novella ("marginally involved," lol) on why the Caps would go South, but you can't defend it. Because it was completely wrong. And you won't just man up about it.

You'd be great on the Politics board, you should check it out. Make dumb arguments and bail when you look stupid is their cup of tea.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And now here come the excuses.

You wrote a whole novella ("marginally involved," lol) on why the Caps would go South, but you can't defend it. Because it was completely wrong. And you won't just man up about it.

You'd be great on the Politics board, you should check it out. Make dumb arguments and bail when you look stupid is their cup of tea.
I stand by what I wrote 6 months ago. All I predicted was that the Caps wouldn't make the playoffs, which...*checks standings*...yup, still no "x-" next to Washington so I guess that's still possible.

So you spending post after post saying I'm "bitching out", need to "man up", and making multiple posts saying the only acceptable answer here is to reply that there was some sort of incorrectness to anything I said is almost exactly behaviour from that politics board you just brought up and my choosing not to engage you in your Monday morning ragefest, I think, allows me to say I've been only marginally involved in the proceedings here despite them being directed in my general direction.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I stand by what I wrote 6 months ago. All I predicted was that the Caps wouldn't make the playoffs, which...*checks standings*...yup, still no "x-" next to Washington so I guess that's still possible.

So you spending post after post saying I'm "bitching out", need to "man up", and making multiple posts saying the only acceptable answer here is to reply that there was some sort of incorrectness to anything I said is almost exactly behaviour from that politics board you just brought up and my choosing not to engage you in your Monday morning ragefest, I think, allows me to say I've been only marginally involved in the proceedings here despite them being directed in my general direction.

Yup, bitched out.

Shite hockey analysis to boot.