• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What 3 playoff teams in 2018 will miss the playoffs in 2019?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the division I don't see how the Capitals couldn't make the playoffs?
The Metro being terrible is definitely not hurting the Caps, but honestly you can probably make that argument for every division this year. Even if the Caps do fall off again at some point there's a good chance the top 8 in the east is already set as is and, at worst, they'll drop down to a WC spot and still be 5+ pts up on 9th place.

All credit to the Caps for doing their thing to stay among the league's best but man, there's a lot of butt teams in the league this season.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Metro being terrible is definitely not hurting the Caps, but honestly you can probably make that argument for every division this year...

All credit to the Caps for doing their thing to stay among the league's best but man, there's a lot of butt teams in the league this season.

I think we've seen a lot of parity in this new era in the NHL. And I think this season definitely exemplifies that more than most.

I think 2018 was also a bellweather year for the changing of the guard in the NHL. Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, Malkin, Giroux, etc. still have plenty of game left in them. But this is now the league of McDavid, Gaudreau, Marner, Eichel, MacKinnon, etc. A new era begins.

BGDave

Grumpy Old Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think 2018 was also a bellweather year for the changing of the guard in the NHL. Ovechkin, Crosby, Kane, Malkin, Giroux, etc. still have plenty of game left in them. But this is now the league of McDavid, Gaudreau, Marner, Eichel, MacKinnon, etc. A new era begins.

I will believe it when any one of these youngsters accomplishes anything in the playoffs.

/no Matthews? Who are you, Marner's dad or something?? :heh:

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Metro being terrible is definitely not hurting the Caps, but honestly you can probably make that argument for every division this year. Even if the Caps do fall off again at some point there's a good chance the top 8 in the east is already set as is and, at worst, they'll drop down to a WC spot and still be 5+ pts up on 9th place.

The Parody is showing more now and with playoff format as it stands with the top 3 guaranteed in I really don't see three teams in the metro passing the Caps.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we've seen a lot of parity in this new era in the NHL. And I think this season definitely exemplifies that more than most.

Didn't see that before my post. But this is showing deeply in the NHL right now.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will believe it when any one of these youngsters accomplishes anything in the playoffs.

/no Matthews? Who are you, Marner's dad or something?? :heh:

That is part of the issue, most of that "old guard" isn't that old yet and are still winning (with the exception of Giroux :suds:)

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could just let my reasons from earlier stand but...
-Not sure who these "young 3rd and 4th liners" are but let's say we're talking about Burakovsky and Vrana. Progress would be one of them getting to 40 pts. That's not exactly game-changing.

Vrana made it to 40 points (with quite a few games left too).

Shame...

shame...

shame...

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-Highly doubt Carlson finishes anywhere near last season's production

Carlson's Corsi and Fenwick are the best of his career so far.

He's on pace to surpass his point total from last season with a pace of 0.89 ppg, up from 0.83 ppg last year. Heading for likely another career high.

Shame...

...shame...

...shame...

;)

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vrana made it to 40 points (with quite a few games left too).

Shame...

shame...

shame...
...and?

Carlson's Corsi and Fenwick are the best of his career so far.

He's on pace to surpass his point total from last season with a pace of 0.89 ppg, up from 0.83 ppg last year. Heading for likely another career high.

Shame...

...shame...

...shame...

;)
Less than 10 points into a playoff spot with just over a month to go with a game played over the 9th place team. I feel fine with this one.

Washington definitely struggled this season. They'll probably make the playoffs but 3 games against TB down the stretch along with division games against Philly (3), Pit, Carolina and NYI could still do some damage.

That +18 goal differential is the second worst among playoff teams in the east right now too. They're lucky Ovi is ageless. The fact that's good enough to lead their division says a lot too.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and?

Less than 10 points into a playoff spot with just over a month to go with a game played over the 9th place team. I feel fine with this one.

Washington definitely struggled this season. They'll probably make the playoffs but 3 games against TB down the stretch along with division games against Philly (3), Pit, Carolina and NYI could still do some damage.

That +18 goal differential is the second worst among playoff teams in the east right now too. They're lucky Ovi is ageless. The fact that's good enough to lead their division says a lot too.

Not to be the grammar police, but you spelled "every single component of my analysis was incorrect" wrong.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to be the grammar police, but you spelled "every single component of my analysis was incorrect" wrong.
I said progress would be getting to 40 points. I didn't say he wouldn't get there.

Fun that you left out the fact Burakovsky has half that number of points and the Caps have been trying to trade him since December though. Can't be including facts that don't help win an argument nobody is having with you, I guess.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fun that you left out the fact Burakovsky has half that number of points and the Caps have been trying to trade him since December though.

-Not sure who these "young 3rd and 4th liners" are but let's say we're talking about Burakovsky and Vrana. Progress would be one of them getting to 40 pts. That's not exactly game-changing.

Based on your words.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...I was right then?

giphy-8.gif

giphy.gif