• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WGC in Mexico

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It started because of Tiger.

I was formerly a big Tiger fan. His being a colossal asshole hasn't turned me against him because I was never all that invested but he is a piece of shit and that has made me rather meh about him and his success.

Yeah there's no denying at times during his life he was a POS, but I think he's been humanized in our eyes which in a sick way makes him more likable. Everyone has skeletons in their closet, so when we see a golden child screw up like he did it's relatable in way and people are quick to forgive him. I was a Tiger fan boy growing up and completely taken back when I saw his life unravel. I don't know him personally obviously so it's easy to be detached. But I do see he's changed for the better as a person, I think. I just miss the drama he created on TV, it's not much fun watching a bunch of super elite best friend types cheer each other on like they do now.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is strange, because culturally we all love to root for an underdog too. Especially in collegiate sports. Pro sports it's the dominant teams/athletes that move the needle. College football is more regional. Nobody on the west coast cares to watch Bama. But Tiger is/was a generational player the likes that may never be seen again by this generation? He was setting so many records in such a short period of time it was like watching MJ. Love him or hate him, you're going to watch. He used to be such a poster child too, then when he fucked up his marriage, got injured, getting arrested it humanized him. Now there's a segment of people that can identify with him. So Tiger covers the spectrum in terms of audience, he's a TV magnet.
His off-course life didn't bother me at all; that's his business. Its his on-course behavior and the way he treated spectators and announcers that galled me. You are right though, I will watch any tournament he is in. It gives me someone to root against.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t know they played favoritism like that on the TV standings? I’ve known that’s how they’re supposed to rank them but just never caught it I guess. That is BS if true I would agree.
You will notice it now. If more than one player is at -8 the guy who is the farthest along is supposed to go at the top. Just like first in at a certain score goes in the last group out the next day. The standings always were presented this way until network TV fell in love with Woods.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You will notice it now. If more than one player is at -8 the guy who is the farthest along is supposed to go at the top. Just like first in at a certain score goes in the last group out the next day. The standings always were presented this way until network TV fell in love with Woods.

That’s true, but TV is all about ROI...when one player moves the needle like Tiger has and still does...they change the rules...anything to keep Tiger in the viewers eyes, they do it.

But to some golf fans that were golf fans before Tiger was even born are irritated by this.

Hard to blame the network, but I understand why irritated fans feel as they do.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger could be over par and struggling and they would still show him on every hole. They think everyone is in love with him.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s true, but TV is all about ROI...when one player moves the needle like Tiger has and still does...they change the rules...anything to keep Tiger in the viewers eyes, they do it.

But to some golf fans that were golf fans before Tiger was even born are irritated by this.

I'm a golf fan, not a Tiger fan.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The information displayed at first notice is wholly inaccurate. It's not correct. Now to a golfer, it takes merely a second glance to see what hole he's on but still, it's patently deceitful. Not to mention unfair to the other players which is what brings it beyond something that's just irritating. Johnny Miller is irritating. I'm more concerned that representation among the one true measure, the leader board, is equitably accessed by all competitors. It's an integrity of the sport issue in my opinion.

Aside from that, go ahead and air interviews with Tiger about how he missed the cut. I could only ever get irritated over that.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh I understand why they do it. I just don't like it. I hate to see announcers who are "homers" and are openly rooting for one guy.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tiger could be over par and struggling and they would still show him on every hole. They think everyone is in love with him.
I know. Every hole its Woods walking up the fairway, Woods eating his banana, Woods drinking water. I want to see golf. I do admit though I love to see Woods and his crybaby face when he fucks up. That 4-putt the other day was priceless.

Reactions: GNG

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I doubt anyone here knows more about how they cover Tiger during a tournament than I do. I have seen it all. I won't even bring up the spectacle last year when they dropped the ropes to try to make Tiger look like Arnold Palmer.

But you are wrong about the coverage when Tiger is struggling. They don't show him when he is out of contention. Here and there ..they will go to him. They went to him fairly often yesterday because he was well inside the top 10 before the turn.

Trust me, they are not going to go over to Tiger to watch him bogey a hole when he is 52nd place.
That is their cash cow so they want to limit it.

The real evil in the Tiger coverage is the double standard.

Perfect example: Tiger hits a somewhat poor iron into the green.

Commentator: That's a smart play by Tiger there. It's a mistake to try to get aggressive with that pin placement. Better to play it safe will a long bride putt.

20 minutes later Bubba Watson puts the ball in the same spot as Tiger.

Commentator: That was not a good effort by Bubba there. Not sure what fooled him there but he won't be happy with that and rightfully so.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a golf fan, not a Tiger fan.

I like Tiger as a golfer (I don't know him any more than a player). But I'm not a fan of any golfer, not in the sense that I'm rooting for them to win like I would for the Steelers for instance. I like seeing the best players in the world play. I'm a fan of the game, PGAT, Web.com, Euro tour, even LPGA...I watch it.

The only time I have a real rooting interest in golf is the Ryder Cup/Pres Cup.

Reactions: GNG

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you guys see fucking Reid on the last hole? Took FOREVER to hit a simple flop shot and then skulled it 20ft past the hole. Then took another way-too-long to line up the 20 footer which he left 4ft short.
Shit, I can blade it clear across the green.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh me too but I'm much more efficient than Reid. I can skull it back and forth across the green three times in the time it took him to fuck up just once.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had a hole in one with a blade.
It's Strange par 3 ...it's elevated, just above your head. Can't see the hole, just the pin.

Has this 45 degree apron ... hit a line drive bladed ball, the apron kills the speed perfectly, the angle does the rest and boom.

Worst hit hole in one ever.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The information displayed at first notice is wholly inaccurate. It's not correct. Now to a golfer, it takes merely a second glance to see what hole he's on but still, it's patently deceitful. Not to mention unfair to the other players which is what brings it beyond something that's just irritating. Johnny Miller is irritating. I'm more concerned that representation among the one true measure, the leader board, is equitably accessed by all competitors. It's an integrity of the sport issue in my opinion.

Aside from that, go ahead and air interviews with Tiger about how he missed the cut. I could only ever get irritated over that.

I never could figure out what was inaccurate....maybe someone else displayed it.

Care to expand?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Tiger as a golfer (I don't know him any more than a player). But I'm not a fan of any golfer, not in the sense that I'm rooting for them to win like I would for the Steelers for instance. I like seeing the best players in the world play. I'm a fan of the game, PGAT, Web.com, Euro tour, even LPGA...I watch it.

The only time I have a real rooting interest in golf is the Ryder Cup/Pres Cup.
I root for Koepka. He's good and I like his behavior on the course. I also like Reed because he takes no shit in the Ryder Cup.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a hole in one with a blade.
It's Strange par 3 ...it's elevated, just above your head. Can't see the hole, just the pin.

Has this 45 degree apron ... hit a line drive bladed ball, the apron kills the speed perfectly, the angle does the rest and boom.

Worst hit hole in one ever.

My wife did too. 76 yards on a par three course. The shot never got more than two feet off the ground. Hit the stick, climbed up the stick and came back down in the hole. It was ugly but she was ecstatic.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Its sickening and makes me root against him even more.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wife did too. 76 yards on a par three course. The shot never got more than two feet off the ground. Hit the stick, climbed up the stick and came back down in the hole. It was ugly but she was ecstatic.
as would I.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah there's no denying at times during his life he was a POS, but I think he's been humanized in our eyes which in a sick way makes him more likable. Everyone has skeletons in their closet, so when we see a golden child screw up like he did it's relatable in way and people are quick to forgive him. I was a Tiger fan boy growing up and completely taken back when I saw his life unravel. I don't know him personally obviously so it's easy to be detached. But I do see he's changed for the better as a person, I think. I just miss the drama he created on TV, it's not much fun watching a bunch of super elite best friend types cheer each other on like they do now.
Hmmm. I still love it. I'm hooked. The one thing I miss is the course management aspect of the game. No its just bomb and gouge.