• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Western Conference Finals: OKC Thunder VS Golden State Warriors

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bogut gone Barnes walks EZZZ

What happens if Curry wants to renegotiate his deal this Summer?

Instead of paying him 12, you'll be paying him 26 million.

With his injuries, I wouldn't blame him.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I'm not playing both sides. We see things differently in terms of title or bust. Fine. If you're tired of the discussion then you're certainly free to move on from it.

The lasting impression from LBJ's seasons in Miami is that he wasn't able to win every year they went to the Finals as was the expectation. They even implied themselves they were the best EVER- as three stars compiled together. But they were definitely punched in the face & gut that very first season. It happens, this is sports. But I find it funny how you want to brush the concert debacle under the rug. That is the very reason there was so much disdain for that team- and as I remember it wasn't only LBJ on that stage partaking in the festivities.

As mentioned earlier by another poster- it is highly unlikely that the GS franchise will view this season as a complete bust/failure. It will only be viewed that way by some fans. Now had they not made history- and didn't defend their title then I could comprehend it being a failed season. Will there be disappointment if they don't win a title? Of course. Goes without saying. But when you create history never is that viewed as a bust. I'm sorry, it's just not.

I'm sure that a lot (not just some) fans will view it as a complete bust/failure, but I don't view things that way. Like I said earlier, the 1993 SF Giants team is still one of my favorite, and they didn't even make the playoffs. This Warriors team will be a positive memory for me regardless how this season ends. First and foremost, sports is entertainment. It's not life or death. For me, the number one question is whether a team gave you that entertainment value. In other words, did they make you care about watching their games? For this year's Warriors team, the answer is a resounding yes.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He can't re-negotiate. His contract is locked at where it is until the end of next season. Meaning as you mentioned, Warriors better get another title out of this Curry contract, because he's going to ask for the house this next go-around.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell that mofo to return to his castle under the bridge.

#TrollKing

LOL, it's a rather poor troll effort. You have to make your statement at least somewhat believable.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can't re-negotiate. His contract is locked at where it is until the end of next season. Meaning as you mentioned, Warriors better get another title out of this Curry contract, because he's going to ask for the house this next go-around.

He can....and he'd make 25 mil and change.

It would screw the Warriors out of adding to their core. But, he can get a new deal.

Stephen Curry deserves a raise. The two-time defending NBA MVP will make $12.1 million next season, in a league where the maximum salary is more than double that. The Warriors alone could have four players making more than Curry next season. He told Sporting News last summer that he did not want to deal with free agency, and locking him up now would accomplish that.

Curry can get a raise, too. Bill Simmons talked about that possibility on his podcast recently, and the idea seems easy enough. However,renegotiating contracts does not happen very often in the NBA, unlike other major sports, and Curry’s example shows why. It would be incredibly impractical for the Warriors and financially constraining for Curry to sign an extension this offseason, unless the Warriors somehow are worried Curry might leave as a free agent next year.

Only certain types of contracts can be renegotiated and extended under current NBA rules. A player must be entering the fourth or fifth year of his current contract, as was the case most recently with the Nuggets’ Danilo Gallinari and Wilson Chandler last summer. That fits for Curry, whose four-year, $44 million current deal kicked in for 2013-14 after being signed in 2012 — when he was coming off worrisome ankle injuries.

Stephen Curry getting a raise now sounds nice but would be bad for everyone

Last edited:

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it would be GREAT if he signed an extension in the summer. The thing is he can't renegotiate his current contract which runs through next year. This way it doesn't impact the salary cap going into next season. Either way, if he extends early or waits until the summer of 2017, it doesn't have any implications for the coming off-season.

Edit: I guess it's possible to renegotiate, but I don't recall it ever happening.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it would be GREAT if he signed an extension in the summer. The thing is he can't renegotiate his current contract which runs through next year. This way it doesn't impact the salary cap going into next season. Either way, if he extends early or waits until the summer of 2017, it doesn't have any implications for the coming off-season.

Did you read the article?

Because it says differently...unless I'm not understanding it correctly, which is possible.

Maybe they should change the word renegotiate to...Void last year?

Because he would make 26 mil this coming Season.

So, it comes out of cap space.

1. Any raise Curry gets on his 2016-17 salary would need to come from cap space. The Warriors do have salary cap flexibility — enough, even to add Kevin Durant — doing so would be incredibly costly in luxury tax. That probably is fine when adding a player of Durant’s talent (assuming owner Joe Lacob signs off), but giving Curry a pay bump does not make the team better. It could make the team worse. At a $92 million NBA salary cap (the exact figure is not known yet), his maximum would be about $25.9 million, so the Warriors would need about $14 million in cap space to make it happen.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you read the article?

Because it says differently...unless I'm not understanding it correctly, which is possible.

Maybe they should change the word renegotiate to...Void last year?

Because he would make 26 mil this coming Season.

So, it comes out of cap space.

1. Any raise Curry gets on his 2016-17 salary would need to come from cap space. The Warriors do have salary cap flexibility — enough, even to add Kevin Durant — doing so would be incredibly costly in luxury tax. That probably is fine when adding a player of Durant’s talent (assuming owner Joe Lacob signs off), but giving Curry a pay bump does not make the team better. It could make the team worse. At a $92 million NBA salary cap (the exact figure is not known yet), his maximum would be about $25.9 million, so the Warriors would need about $14 million in cap space to make it happen.

Yeah, I made the edit, but you were too quick for me. Stop being so efficient.

The article is redundant because when would it ever make sense to give someone a raise when you have a cap limit? It just limits you. There's no benefit, team-wise.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I made the edit, but you were too quick for me. Stop being so efficient.

The article is redundant because when would it ever make sense to give someone a raise when you have a cap limit? It just limits you. There's no benefit, team-wise.

Agree.

The only person that COULD benefit is Curry.

But, he'd only need to do that if he didn't want to risk injury before getting a pay raise.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

The only person that COULD benefit is Curry.

But, he'd only need to do that if he didn't want to risk injury before getting a pay raise.

But he could easily get the same financial security from a simple extension. He can sign for the max, which is a percentage of the salary cap, meaning he won't be limiting himself financially during those 4 years. Renegotiating for 14M to kill cap space seems kind of weird when his next contract is going to exceed 110M.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Edit: I guess it's possible to renegotiate, but I don't recall it ever happening.

It happened last Season with 2 Denver players...Gallo and Chandler.

But, they sucked..so nobody noticed.

I was unaware of the possibility until I saw the Curry article a week ago.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he could easily get the same financial security from a simple extension. He can sign for the max, which is a percentage of the salary cap, meaning he won't be limiting himself financially during those 4 years. Renegotiating for 14M to kill cap space seems kind of weird when his next contract is going to exceed 110M.

Agree.

If he could just sign a extension this year, to kick in after next Season, that the way to go.

Can they do that?

Or, is it like Aldridge in Portland where it limits the years if he does it early?

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree.

If he could just sign a extension this year, to kick in after next Season, that the way to go.

Can they do that?

Or, is it like Aldridge in Portland where it limits the years if he does it early?

Yeah it will limit the years. It will be a 4 year extension I believe, versus holding out till free agency where he can get 5. But in either scenario, if he wants financial security, the most he can get is a 4 year contract.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've said they felt they had to come out this season and prove they are champs-

Hellloooo McFly!!! That is championship or bust!! :L

When you say that you are out to prove you are the champs...you are championship or bust.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please support the wounded warriors. :D

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would you take offense to his post when he was talking about BK?

Not offended. It's just a tired and lame criticism that gets thrown at fans of teams that have won championships by fans of teams that haven't, to make themselves feel better.

I've actually seen people post that all Lakers fans are bandwagon fans/frontrunners because the Lakers haven't lost enough historically. :L

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure that a lot (not just some) fans will view it as a complete bust/failure, but I don't view things that way. Like I said earlier, the 1993 SF Giants team is still one of my favorite, and they didn't even make the playoffs. This Warriors team will be a positive memory for me regardless how this season ends. First and foremost, sports is entertainment. It's not life or death. For me, the number one question is whether a team gave you that entertainment value. In other words, did they make you care about watching their games? For this year's Warriors team, the answer is a resounding yes.
I couldn't agree more.