• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Well...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Trestman deserves a decent chunk of the blame. Certainly, a lot of the offense's shortcomings had to do with execution, and of course the injuries to Marshall and Jeffery. But jeez… the flea flicker after a flawless drive… getting away from Forte. Especially in OT when Buffalo's defense was clearly worn down and Forte looked fresh as can be. How do you proceed to throw it three straight times? God damn… we threw the ball 50 times with our two best receivers injured, and with Forte playing a great game.

This one stings.

It's cliche, but in the NFL you're never as good as you think you are, and you're never as bad either. A lot of season left. This offense still has a lot of great pieces, and the defense certainly looks improved. Go get em' next week. Plenty of season left. I'm still looking forward to it. I don't think this team is going to cave and be a pushover team. At all. I also realize this is totally busch… but I have a hard time seeing the Bears losing that game with a healthy Marshall or Jeffery. Even one of them. Marshall was obviously operating at about half capacity when he came back in. Spurlock had a big drop downfield too.

I know… I know. It was sloppy and downright awful at times. But let's just see how this team responds. Far too early to go jumping off of bridges. I'm certainly not as optimistic as I was previously, but let's wait and see. I'll give it a couple of weeks before I step off of the edge.

On another note, Buffalo actually looked pretty damn solid. Really good defense. Good pass rush, and man, it sure seems Corey Graham developed into a very good corner. Good for him. They can really run the ball, and EJ isn't great, but he can make some throws. They could really be a team to watch out for in the AFC. I certainly don't think we just lost to poor football team. They'll be tough this year.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but the playcalling was great. There were open receivers everywhere. It was all in the execution. There were at least three catchable balls which receivers didn't come up with. There were a couple of throwaways and a couple of situations where pressure rushed the throw. And of course, all three turnovers (ie the only reason we don't win by 14+) are execution-related.

I disagree with your assessment of an improved defense, as well. They gave up 190 rushing yards and 360 total yards to an offense that didn't strike me as very good. Manuel missed at least three open receivers on big plays. And I don't think Buffalo has a very good passing O-Line (although they are good against the run). If you are right about Buffalo being a good team, then you are probably right about us having an improved defense. I just didn't see it.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry, but the playcalling was great. There were open receivers everywhere. It was all in the execution. There were at least three catchable balls which receivers didn't come up with. There were a couple of throwaways and a couple of situations where pressure rushed the throw. And of course, all three turnovers (ie the only reason we don't win by 14+) are execution-related.

I disagree with your assessment of an improved defense, as well. They gave up 190 rushing yards and 360 total yards to an offense that didn't strike me as very good. Manuel missed at least three open receivers on big plays. And I don't think Buffalo has a very good passing O-Line (although they are good against the run). If you are right about Buffalo being a good team, then you are probably right about us having an improved defense. I just didn't see it.

Passing the ball 50 times to 18 rushes in a one score game is good play calling to you? Okay…

Every time Forte was wearing down the defense, we went to the air and threw the drive away. You really would have thrown three straight times on that possession in OT? You would have called a flea flicker when your offense was pounding the ball down the oppositions throat?

When you throw the ball 50 times to 18 rushes in a one score game with a back like Forte… you're doing something wrong. I am sorry.

And I know… they did run at will at times. But come on… you can't tell me that our defense last year would have come up with the stops we did today. They held strong and forced punts with their backs against the wall, without the offense executing more than a couple of times. I guess Buffalo isn't supposed to be a good offense. I suppose we'll see next week.

All I ask is that fans don't jump off of the edge after a week 1 OT loss.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said in the other thread, I cannot get over the same fucking snap count on every offensive play, you think if they just go on first sound every once in a while they would catch the opponents on their heels.

Defense was improved, saw Mundy all over the place, saw the d line keeping linemen off linebackers, saw Jared Allen firing up the crowd, doing little else, but it was a Tucker vanilla game.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Passing the ball 50 times to 18 rushes in a one score game is good play calling to you? Okay…

Every time Forte was wearing down the defense, we went to the air and threw the drive away. You really would have thrown three straight times on that possession in OT? You would have called a flea flicker when your offense was pounding the ball down the oppositions throat?

When you throw the ball 50 times to 18 rushes in a one score game with a back like Forte… you're doing something wrong. I am sorry.

I don't have a problem with 50 throws and 18 rushes if receivers are open. And they were open. We had 6.7 yards per pass and 4.8 yards per rush, and that was with several (at least six) significant passing execution errors which can't be blamed on the playcalling. And lastly, it's not like Forte was underutilized or forgotten. He got 25 touches and over 160 yards. It wasn't like we allowed teams to avoid the box either, because we threw several dump passes right underneath.

Again, I think it was a brilliantly called game offensively. That was probably the best part of our performance. It's certainly not where any of the blame should be placed.

C

cubzzzfanincali

How do you know there were open receivers everywhere? Maybe there were, maybe there weren't, but network broadcast viewers don't know shit.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know there were open receivers everywhere? Maybe there were, maybe there weren't, but network broadcast viewers don't know shit.

Virtually every replay they showed, you could see 2 open guys. On a network broadcast, you can see at least three receivers at any time, and they were open more than you normally see in an NFL game, without a doubt.

C

cubzzzfanincali

And I know… they did run at will at times. But come on… you can't tell me that our defense last year would have come up with the stops we did today. They held strong and forced punts with their backs against the wall, without the offense executing more than a couple of times. I guess Buffalo isn't supposed to be a good offense. I suppose we'll see next week.

Was buffalo playing a lot of heavy coverage defense? How do you know? The only thing the average network viewer can judge is the line play, because that's where the tv and a puny amount of replay is. I detest fan. Post game discussion of secondaries because it is so insanely ignorant.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a problem with 50 throws and 18 rushes if receivers are open. And they were open. We had 6.7 yards per pass and 4.8 yards per rush, and that was with several (at least six) significant passing execution errors which can't be blamed on the playcalling. And lastly, it's not like Forte was underutilized or forgotten. He got 25 touches and over 160 yards. It wasn't like we allowed teams to avoid the box either, because we threw several dump passes right underneath.

Again, I think it was a brilliantly called game offensively. That was probably the best part of our performance. It's certainly not where any of the blame should be placed.

I don't even know how to respond to this. "Brilliantly"? Good god.

So you thought it was right to throw three straight times in OT after Forte ran it down their throat, and had Buffalo huffing and puffing?

CLEARLY… going through the air as much as they did, wasn't working. If they weren't executing, than Trestman has to realize this, and make an adjustment. If your team is consistently not executing, and you keep going back to the same thing time and time again. It's on you as much as it is the team.

Yes… 25 touches for 160 yards… imagine if Trestman actually called a proper game and didn't go away from him!

Your excuse for running as little as we did, is; "Well, look how well Forte did when he DID touch the ball." How the heck does that even make sense? "Well, he had a great day in the stat line… clearly we went to him enough. Thank god we didn't go to him more often. Jeez.. this offense might have actually been efficient today."

WHAT? :L

C

cubzzzfanincali

Smart, I can't watch the all 22 now because I am out of the country. When I get back, I will watch it. Until then, why not comment on the line, which is what you can actually see?

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add:
A. a Slow motion replay from 2 stories above the players- IS MUCH different then QB eye level, while the play is going on.
B. We don't know what the play call was- what the protection was- what the primary/secondary/checkdown/hot reads were... WE as fans DON'T know if THAT receiver was supposed to cut two yards earlier, look for the ball sooner, read a defensive check differently then what you saw on that slow motion replay.
C. It's VERY easy for Arm Chair QB's to watch a replay- And Say- "MAN look at all those OPEN receivers." It's a different animal when you are the one throwing it. Most difficult position in sports.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to add:
A. a Slow motion replay from 2 stories above the players- IS MUCH different then QB eye level, while the play is going on.
B. We don't know what the play call was- what the protection was- what the primary/secondary/checkdown/hot reads were... WE as fans DON'T know if THAT receiver was supposed to cut two yards earlier, look for the ball sooner, read a defensive check differently then what you saw on that slow motion replay.
C. It's VERY easy for Arm Chair QB's to watch a replay- And Say- "MAN look at all those OPEN receivers." It's a different animal when you are the one throwing it. Most difficult position in sports.

Open receivers are what Dallas has, and romo keeps throwing to the three guys covering his receiver while the wide open guys dont get the ball.

Alshon was out alot of the game. Marshall was bent in half, I have seen ACL tears on plays like the hit the POS Spikes went helmet to helmet to B on when forward progress was stopped. Slausen and Garza go down on the same play. There were receiver sets of Holmes, Morgan and Spurlock, none of them give Jay any confidence. We were short on the o line and wr and both positions went down with injuries.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even know how to respond to this. "Brilliantly"? Good god.

So you thought it was right to throw three straight times in OT after Forte ran it down their throat, and had Buffalo huffing and puffing?

CLEARLY… going through the air as much as they did, wasn't working. If they weren't executing, than Trestman has to realize this, and make an adjustment. If your team is consistently not executing, and you keep going back to the same thing time and time again. It's on you as much as it is the team.

Yes… 25 touches for 160 yards… imagine if Trestman actually called a proper game and didn't go away from him!

Your excuse for running as little as we did, is; "Well, look how well Forte did when he DID touch the ball." How the heck does that even make sense? "Well, he had a great day in the stat line… clearly we went to him enough. Thank god we didn't go to him more often. Jeez.. this offense might have actually been efficient today."

WHAT? :L

Forte was much more efficient in the passing game than the running game. Indeed, our team was much more efficient in the passing game than the running game. Forte "ran it down their throat" once to start the OT. I'm not sure how they were "huffing and puffing" since they had a break of several minutes. It was simply a running play which worked, which at least arguably was because their defense was prepared to defend the pass.

I'm not sure why the offense "clearly" wasn't working when they threw it. The offense had 0 three and outs today! 0! They had 3 punts the entire game. That's it. They didn't score a ton because of turnovers, which (at least today) were entirely based on execution. Marshall fumbled because he didn't hold the ball tight enough and was surprised by an opposing DB. The first pick was on a miscommunication between Cutler and Bennett. And the second pick was on Cutler for throwing it too late and not seeing a defender approaching his receiver. Two of those three turnovers, of course, took place in field goal range, so without them we likely score at least 26.

I'm just amazed that our offense could get 425+ yards, drop several passes, make stupid turnovers, and people are blaming the playcalling. It's unbelievable. You could blame this game on offensive execution, defensive schematics, defensive execution, or special teams. There was only one aspect of the game which all signs show worked well for us, and that is what you are targeted. I'm frankly dumbfounded.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While im not happy about the 50:18 pass run playcalling, Forte was the recipient of 9(8 caught) of those plays for over 80 yards in the air. He was just as dangerous on the screen/dump as he was running the ball.

We are probably not going to see a 50-50 ratio during the season as much as 22 is used in the passing game.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon man..........we got the great Jay Cutler.

Whats wrong with throwing 50 times?

Isn`t this suppose to be his breakout season?......again.

Right where he left off from last season........boneheaded plays.

nice job!........not.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cmon man..........we got the great Jay Cutler.

Whats wrong with throwing 50 times?

Isn`t this suppose to be his breakout season?......again.

Right where he left off from last season........boneheaded plays.

nice job!........not.

How predictable from you. Just passably throw the blame on Cutler.

What's where we left off from last year? Last time I checked, Cutler played a hell of a game vs GB to leave off last year. Just shows how bias you are.

And it what offense is a 50-18 run ratio good? None.

Mikefive

KFFL Mod... SportsHoopla nobody
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To your point on the bolded part, we all know that Trestman scripts the first 15 plays or thereabouts. The flea flicker occurred on their 2nd drive after running 4 plays the first time around. The flea flicker was apparently part of the script.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To your point on the bolded part, we all know that Trestman scripts the first 15 plays or thereabouts. The flea flicker occurred on their 2nd drive after running 4 plays the first time around. The flea flicker was apparently part of the script.

Scripted or not, it was still a head scratching play. Don't have to outsmart everyone all the time...

bob0311

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm shocked Mel Tucker is getting a pass here (he certainly didn't with Buffone and OB) in their post game however.

If Rivera gets fired or one of the Ryan brothers gets cut loose we should get them asap as our next DC