• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

We'll see if the Cavs are really improved or not tonight

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron signing 1 year deals is a genius move for him, it's almost as if the Cavs never signed him and are still trying to woo him. LeBron can leave any time he wants and Cleveland knows that, they don't make a move without LeBron's say so. LeBron has all the power and I don't blame him, I'd probably do the exact same thing.

I thought LeBron's current deal was a 2 year deal w/ the option to opt out after one year? Also after next season doesn't the NBA salary cap go up making max deals worth even more money?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be totally different though.
This would be a case of James shipping off a player just because he refused to sign with his agent/posse.

You are correct, I didn't really focus on that part of it. That would be hard to prove.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought LeBron's current deal was a 2 year deal w/ the option to opt out after one year? Also after next season doesn't the NBA salary cap go up making max deals worth even more money?

The opt out after 1 year, essentially makes it a 1 year deal, because he can choose the opt out after 1 year.

As to your 2nd question, this where Lebron was really smart. He signed a 2 year deal with an opt out after 1 year. He can use the 1 year opt out to get the Cavs to do what he wants. Even if he doesn't opt out, he'll be an FA again after next year and will get maxed at the new higher rate.

Keeps the pressure on the Cavs and assures that he can take advantage of the upcoming salary cap increase.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The opt out after 1 year, essentially makes it a 1 year deal, because he can choose the opt out after 1 year.

As to your 2nd question, this where Lebron was really smart. He signed a 2 year deal with an opt out after 1 year. He can use the 1 year opt out to get the Cavs to do what he wants. Even if he doesn't opt out, he'll be an FA again after next year and will get maxed at the new higher rate.

Keeps the pressure on the Cavs and assures that he can take advantage of the upcoming salary cap increase.

I agree. And thanks for the info. I wasn't exactly sure if I was right about his current contract (the 2 years).

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Is Lebron officially calling the shots? No, he's not the GM. However, Lebron is telling them who to get/using veto power on any move they make. His 1 year opt out and him stating "no more long term deals" is his "sword of Damocles" that he has hanging over the Cavs head if/when they piss him off or refuse to make a deal that he wants.

There is no doubt- LeBron has power and leverage and he uses it. When his endorsements are double his salary and when every single team in the NBA would die to have the guy- it does not give the owner much leverage on the guy.

There are a lot of things LeBron does and has done that I dont agree with, and get annoyed with, and think he could have handled better.

Having said that- LeBron, despite all the scrutiny has never gotten in trouble off the court- like Kobe and other guys have, and he does just a ton of stuff in the community.

there is definitely baggage that comes with having LeBron James on your team. There is no doubt about that.

But when push comes to shove, I will tell ya- I will deal with the baggage in order to have the best player in the world on your team- especially when he is a hometown guy and does so much for the area.

the only leverage the Cavs REALLY have- is that they have Kyrie and Love- 2 young big time talents to play with, an owner that wont pinch pennies (like LeBron thought Arison was doing), and the backlash that he would get if he left Cleveland without a title.

LeBron knows he has power and wields it- and in a lotof ways i cant say i blame him. If thats the price of having the best player in the world and the ability to compete at the highest level year in and year out, im taking it

i dont know many teams that wouldnt.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs are playing well right now but I think they might struggle in the playoffs.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs are playing well right now but I think they might struggle in the playoffs.

with the Bosh injury the only teams that pose a threat to the Cavs i think are the Bulls and Hawks......and the Cavs trades have given them good depth.

Shumpert played great last night. I think eventually he moves into the starting lineup. He looks like he is just so rejuvenated coming to a good team- especially since instead of being expected to carry a big piece of the load on the Bricks, he can just be who he is and really focus on his role for the Cavs. Hes not trying to be something he is not- which i think he got forced into on the Knicks because of their lack of talent.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the Bosh injury the only teams that pose a threat to the Cavs i think are the Bulls and Hawks......and the Cavs trades have given them good depth.

Shumpert played great last night. I think eventually he moves into the starting lineup. He looks like he is just so rejuvenated coming to a good team- especially since instead of being expected to carry a big piece of the load on the Bricks, he can just be who he is and really focus on his role for the Cavs. Hes not trying to be something he is not- which i think he got forced into on the Knicks because of their lack of talent.
I think Wash can give them trouble but we saw what just happen. LOL

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Cavs trades really helped them and hate Denver for that trade. That was Cavs biggest weakness and u can see he has made a big difference for this team.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Cavs trades really helped them and hate Denver for that trade. That was Cavs biggest weakness and u can see he has made a big difference for this team.

The Cavs had been after Mozgov since last summer. Blatt coached him on the Russian National Team and really had been pushing Griffin to make the move. The Nugz definitely knew that Blatt liked him- and that Griffin liked him- and Mozgov is signed for next year at only like 5 million- so the Nugz really used all the leverage they had to extract 2 first rounders from Cleveland- even if they are highly protected picks.

I thought Mozgov would help- but I have to say- I am surprised at how good he is. I thought he was a big plodder- but he runs the floor really well. He rolls to the basket really well when he is in the pick and roll- and finishes at the rim very nicely.

He has a toughness about him too- out of the Cavs big men going back a long long way- i cannot remember a guy who just is a legit tough guy. I remember when Rasheed Wallace scalped Z and no one on the Cavs did anything about it. Mozgov wont hesitate to go after someone to protect his teammates. Perkins should be the same way too actually. Its funny they went from no bigs that are "tough" guys- to having 2 of them with Perk now in the mix.