• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 7: Redskins @ Eagles

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Different mindset with this team with Gruden as coach.

With Spurrior, most of these guys would be taking off because they gave fuknot

With Shanahan, he would be pissed they actually GOT hurt and make them sit out. (I say this as a fan of Mike)

With Gruden, these guys actually want to play. I think if Breeland and Norman sit, it will be because the doctors MADE them sit out.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different mindset with this team with Gruden as coach.

With Spurrior, most of these guys would be taking off because they gave fuknot

With Shanahan, he would be pissed they actually GOT hurt and make them sit out. (I say this as a fan of Mike)

With Gruden, these guys actually want to play. I think if Breeland and Norman sit, it will be because the doctors MADE them sit out.
Much like Doctson, right shark?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much like Doctson, right shark?

NAh.. he is just a pussy. :D

And by that I mean much like Craves, he had his reasons for NOT wanting to play last year what ever they might have been

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philadelphia Eagles Head Coach Doug Pederson

On if he’s noticed a difference in the Redskins since Week 1:

“Yeah, I think one of the things that you’re seeing more is the skill guys on offense a little more in rhythm, a little more in-tune than when we played them the first time. I think Rob Kelley, Chris Thompson – I think Samaje Perine is playing really good behind that offensive line. I think he’s playing extremely well. Defensively, I think their front is very active, very good. I think [Ryan] Kerrigan and [Preston] Smith are both guys that have put a lot of pressure on opposing quarterbacks and those are two guys you definitely have to account for. They’re big in the middle, obviously. I know they’re nicked in the back-end – in the secondary – but I just think overall they’re playing with a little more consistency. [They’re] playing fast as a group and it’s paying off for them.”

On what’s been working so well for them with the Wide-Nine scheme this year:

“Well, I just think the vertical push with the Wide-Nine – it’s all about getting off the ball and rolling upfield and getting vertical push. Schematically, it’s not a traditional two-gap scheme. These guys are penetrating gaps and our linebackers are playing a little bit better the last couple of weeks, being able to make some plays. It does put a little bit of pressure on your linebackers though to make those plays and like I said, they’re playing a little bit better. Again, we’re getting some guys healthy. Fletcher Cox played Thursday night. He’s getting healthy again, so it makes a big difference with him in the lineup.”

On how DT Fletcher Cox was able to make an impact against the Redskins’ offensive line in Week 1:

“He’s such a dominant player. Any of those defensive tackles in the NFL that can move around like he does and explode off the ball – any time you can get an edge on a single block is an advantage. A lot of teams will slide protection that way. Maybe a guard and a center or a guard and a tackle, depending on protection, can put four hands on a guy like Fletcher but that’s the only thing in the first game. That’s the first game of the season – a lot of energy early on and can also aid and assist in that. But, he’s just a good player and you see it from a lot of tackles from around the league. Good players are just hard to block.”

On WR Terrelle Pryor Sr. and WR Josh Doctson:

“You have to account for them. I mean, these are two good athletes, two good receivers and you can’t go to sleep on either one of them. I know Terrelle – when he was in Cleveland – had a really good season a year ago. And listen, it’s no different than even with Alshon Jeffery with us. It just takes time. It takes time to get on the same page and just a rhythm with your quarterback. That’s the things you’re seeing now as we get closer to the middle of year. You’re starting to see that rhythm and timing with quarterbacks and receivers. [Jamison] Crowder is just a guy that can be moved all over the field. He’s quick, explosive with the ball in his hand and definitely have got to account for both of those guys.”

On matching up with running backs like RB Chris Thompson and Darren Sproles:

“Yeah, definitely in both cases, just the matchups that runner – Chris Thompson or Darren Sproles – on a linebacker, that’s advantage offense, I think. You just have got to… the run or the pass depending on the down and distance becomes important. We know that those guys are going to make their plays. They’re going to get their plays and we just have got to do the best we can to defend and try to corral. When you put a guy like Chris Thompson out in space, it is definitely an advantage or a matchup that you want offensively. The Redskins I think do a great job of moving him around a little bit.”

On how much growth he has seen from QB Kirk Cousins:

“Quite a bit. Here’s a guy that’s not going to hurt you with the turnover, has the ability to stretch the field, big-play capability and, listen, he runs better than people think. He can extend plays with his legs. Again, you can’t fall asleep on him because he can run. You’re just seeing a little more consistency now in the offense and it obviously starts with the quarterback. He has done really nice job of staying on the field whether it be a third down conversion or just utilizing his personnel. I feel like that has been his strength. He’s not the one that has had to put the team necessarily on his shoulders. He can spread the ball around. There is a lot of weapons on offense and they are doing a much better job of that from Week 1.”

On the growth of QB Carson Wentz:

“He is definitely one that’s… the added personnel has obviously helped him, ball down the field, and then you are seeing him – he is strong in the pocket and usually the first guy – arm-tackle guy – can’t bring him down. He usually sheds that block and can escape. One of the things that he does – and really Kirk does the same thing – is their eyes are constantly down the field and they are looking for that, especially out of the pocket, looking for that big play down the field. The weapons that we’ve acquired with Alshon [Jeffery] and Torrey [Smith]. Nelson [Agholor] now in the slot and even [Zach] Ertz working scramble drills and things of that nature… Then just his overall ability to run, I think that is one thing that he has done a better job this year of is just extending plays with his legs.”

Philadelphia Eagles QB Carson Wentz

On what’s different about the Redskins since Week 1:

“You know, they’re not too different. They’re pretty much the same. They’re a good team. They’re a solid defense. They fly around. They present some challenges with some of their different blitz looks and different coverage looks. Again, I think our game plan will be similar as far as how we attack them. In games like this, when two teams – divisional opponents like we are – know each other so well, it ultimately just comes down to who’s going to make the most plays. That’s what it’s going to come down to and hopefully that’s us on Monday night.”

On the speed of S D.J. Swearinger and LB Zach Brown and if it has changed the Redskins’ defense:

“Yeah. Those two fly around. It’s evident on tape. They’re honestly probably the first two that jump out at you because they’re just always around the football. They’re aggressive. They fly around. They make plays. It’s something that you’ve just got to be cognizant of where those two are at at all times, especially in the run game with a guy like Zach Brown. I mean, he shoots the gap as well as anybody on tape. We’ve just got to use that, to some extent, to our advantage and just know where they’re at at all times.”

On the impact of CBs Josh Norman and Bashaud Breeland in the secondary:

“Players like Josh and Breeland, I mean, they’re both great players. It’s one of those things though, whenever you’re talking about injuries, you can’t dwell on it. When it comes to preparation, we’re going to prepare the same regardless if those two are playing or not and then at the end of the day, if they’re out there on game days, we just have to be aware of who’s out there. Again, it will still come down to who makes the most plays. But again, a lot of respect for both those players. They’re solid corners, but if they’re healthy, they’re healthy. Our game plan should stay pretty similar.”

On working with his receiving corps:

“Yeah, it’s been great. It’s been great. We’ve been developing our chemistry, shoot, going back to OTAs already. We got to work right away and then this summer, the receivers came out to North Dakota and we got some good work in and training camp and everything. We’ve just been… I feel like we’re gelling pretty well and I think the biggest thing about our offensive attack is it’s never really one guy. We spread the ball around as good as anybody and I think that just makes us tough to defend. That’s just credit to our players – our skill players. Anybody can make the play and get the job done when their number gets called and we just have a handful of selfless players. All they care about is winning, so that’s just, again, what I think makes us tough to defend and makes us really dynamic.”

On how hard it was to convince those players to come to North Dakota:

“A lot easier than you’d think. I think they were all pretty excited. They’d never been out to North Dakota so I think they enjoyed it and I’m sure we’ll do it again.”

On if he’s surprised that he’s still able to shed tacklers at the NFL level:

“I guess, I don’t know. Surprised? Hard to say. I just know that that’s kind of always been my personality – my personality on the field. I just always feel like there’s a play to be made and I never like to go down. I never like to go down with the ball in my hand, so that’s just part of my game and this offense is a game that I think we can extend plays that really makes us tough to defend as well.”

On coaching points Head Coach Doug Pederson preaches to him in those situations:

“I mean, the biggest thing – every single play is different. It’s all situationally different. The biggest thing is just be smart. Avoid the hits when you can. Make the play when it’s there. Don’t force anything. Those are all things that we talk about that I definitely take to heart right away. It’s something – mistakes are going to be made, all the time. You’re not going to be perfect with it, but we feel like the positives are going to far outweigh the negatives in those situations and I’ve just got to know when to be smart and when to take those shots.”

On TE Zach Ertz:

“I think with a guy like Zach, I mean, him and I are really close off the field. We’re almost in each other’s heads at the line of scrimmage. He knows when I might be looking to change his routes. He sees coverage. He reacts so well. So to have a guy that’s that smart… And he plays fast and he just knows how to create separation and he plays on time. Those are things that as a quarterback that you’re really looking for in your guy. So to have a guy like him, I think it’s really developed for him and I just over really this last year and now where we’re at this year. We put in the time. We talk about things all the time in the film room. We bring things to each other’s attention. Having a guy like that can really kind of make teams hone in on him as well because he has been such a dynamic weapon for us and really open up things potentially down the field for guys like Torrey [Smith], Nelson [Agholor] and A.J. [Alshon Jeffery].”

this weeks crew

malgVaa.png

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa, sounds like if there's no setbacks we might see Norman and Bree :shocked:

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting tidbit on Allen, Jay mentions the surgery wasn't as major as initially expected but they'll take it carefully

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting tidbit on Allen, Jay mentions the surgery wasn't as major as initially expected but they'll take it carefully

IM hoping 4-5 weeks from now the defense is rolling and Jay says Allen is shut down for the season. Let him get healthy and SHOULD we make the playoffs, bring him back for the playoffs experience. BUt Im hoping we dont rush him back.