• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 5: Ohio State week/Game thread

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is overall the D played great but all three drives came on repeated screen plays. Give Meyer credit for a good call on the first one but if you keep getting beat at the same time you need to adjust.

Anyone notice McSorely up the middle was a done deal after PSUs last touchdown. Ohio State was without 2 starting DBs. Yeas PSU was without Hammler but you can't find something out there.

On a sliding grade scale the 4th down last offensive play for Penn State was so bad it isn't worth discussing. Lets hand the ball to a guy who has done NOTHING all day. :trash::trash:

AlistairChiss

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we need to win-out, destroying Michigan along the way and pray that Michigan can beat Ohio State by a wide margin to keep our playoff hopes alive now.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad I am typing this, not trying to speak it because my voice is shot. That one really sucked to lose. Penn State and the crowd had HAskins shook from the jump, defense played outstanding, offense was good, could've been great if they didn't drop so many god damn passes. The fumble late in first and that horrible, horrible spot on 4th down that they gifted OSU a first on which led to a TD were the game. The cheap shot on Hamler ended up being gigantic, missing him on that last drive really hurt. People complaining about Miles, OSU sold out to stop him, Trace kept it and piled up yards and had a clean pocket to throw in most of night. That call on 4th down was just mind numbing, 3 time outs to think about it and you call that? Have to put the ball in Trace's hands there, live and die with the guy who was flat out the best player on the field last night by a wide margin.

Another thing that hurt early was force feeding Tommy. That big loss on the backwards pass cost us at least 3, probably 6 the way we were moving at that point. Regroup, get KJ healthy on the week off, run the table and hope for the best.

One thing for certain, that game will do nothing but help recruiting, that place was as electric as I have seen it. On par with the 2005 OSU game. Should also remember everyone was telling us how much more talented OSU was than us, surely didn't look like it on the field. We have really closed teh gap and Franklin is still loading it up. Keep in mind we are still only a few years removed from sanctions and the guy had a completely gutted roster 4 years ago. I know nobody wants to hear it, but we are light years ahead of where anyone thought we'd be right now and very close to cracking the elite group again.

Last edited:

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Helluva game tonight, Lions fans. See you in Columbus next season
:suds:

YEp, this matchup will be among the marquee games in college football every year for the forseeable future. Both are loaded and playing at a level above anyone else in that conference

Pretty sure we are going back to COlumbus next year for the game. That late in season,could be an absolute monster of a game if boht handle their business before hand again.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad I am typing this, not trying to speak it because my voice is shot. That one really sucked to lose. Penn State and the crowd had HAskins shook from the jump, defense played outstanding, offense was good, could've been great if they didn't drop so many god damn passes. The fumble late in first and that horrible, horrible spot on 4th down that they gifted OSU a first on which led to a TD were the game. The cheap shot on Hamler ended up being gigantic, missing him on that last drive really hurt. People complaining about Miles, OSU sold out to stop him, Trace kept it and piled up yards and had a clean pocket to throw in most of night. That call on 4th down was just mind numbing, 3 time outs to think about it and you call that? Have to put the ball in Trace's hands there, live and die with the guy who was flat out the best player on the field last night by a wide margin.

Another thing that hurt early was force feeding Tommy. That big loss on the backwards pass cost us at least 3, probably 6 the way we were moving at that point. Regroup, get KJ healthy on the week off, run the table and hope for the best.

One thing for certain, that game will do nothing but help recruiting, that place was as electric as I have seen it. On par with the 2005 OSU game. Should also remember everyone was telling us how much more talented OSU was than us, surely didn't look like it on the field. We have really closed teh gap and Franklin is still loading it up. Keep in mind we are still only a few years removed from sanctions and the guy had a completely gutted roster 4 years ago. I know nobody wants to hear it, but we are light years ahead of where anyone thought we'd be right now and very close to cracking the elite group again.

Agree with pretty much all of this. The 4th down call was atrocious but what made me even more angry is the wasting of the timeouts for it. Saving even one of those two timeouts gives you a chance to get the ball back in Trace's hands if you can't convert, which is all you can ask for.

The loss of Hamler was huge too, I think it's pretty evident he's the best WR on this team by a good margin. Speaking of the WR's, Johnson had some nice catches but dropped some pretty routine ones as well, he has to be better. Thompkins did literally nothing and I think it might be time to cut his playing time in the offense. I realize he's a senior leader but he flat out hasn't performed as a WR this year. Shorter was touted as being able to come in and contribute as a true freshman but we've hardly seen him when he's dressed. Not sure if his injury is lingering and he's still less than 100% or what the issue is but I wouldn't mind seeing him take some of Thompkins snaps. Was also a bit puzzling to me that we didn't see Slade. I understand he had some fumble issues, but he can bring a different dynamic to the backfield when he's in there and I think he should have gotten some work against OSU. The Stevens thing was puzzling to me as well, I understand trying to implement him into the gameplan because he's a unique player but it definitely looked to me like they were forcing it last night.

All the recruiting buzz I've seen so far was incredibly positive, so that's a silver lining I suppose. Also don't think PSU is completely out of the playoff picture yet. Obviously have to run the table and hope for some losses but I think there's still a chance. Quite a few of the teams that are currently ranked ahead of PSU have looked shaky at times this season so I wouldn't count out PSU just yet.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shorter inury still nagging....at least 2 weeks ago it was an issue according to one of our CB's relatives I was speaking with at length while waiting for team to arrive. Also said Shorter did flash when healthy, but rested on his success and thought it would be automatic once he did something well. Said his talent is off charts and he'll be fine. Have no problem with Miles getting all the snaps, Slade and pass pro aren't there yet.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's crushing. Penn State should've won this one, obviously. Way too many points left off the scoreboard, especially in the first half, but really throughout the entire game.

Special teams is the culprit in this loss, for me.

When in the fuck are we going to have a decent field goal kicker!?

That and Ohio State was gaining field position all game long via their punting (distance) and coverage on our returns.

Should've been up three touchdowns at halftime and were still up 12 late, so this end result is pretty frustrating.

Last edited:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously you've also blown the game by not putting the ball in the hands of McSorley during the clutch moments, like perhaps the final play of the game, but it should not have even come to that.

A few more field goals and the game is over when we're up 21+ with 8 minutes left.

thehobocop

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shorter inury still nagging....at least 2 weeks ago it was an issue according to one of our CB's relatives I was speaking with at length while waiting for team to arrive. Also said Shorter did flash when healthy, but rested on his success and thought it would be automatic once he did something well. Said his talent is off charts and he'll be fine. Have no problem with Miles getting all the snaps, Slade and pass pro aren't there yet.

I understand their concerns about pass pro but I still feel like he could have gotten out there for a couple plays. Give him a specific role. He was excellent in HS at receiving out of the backfield, let him get some work that way.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's crushing. Penn State should've won this one, obviously. Way too many points left off the scoreboard, especially in the first half, but really throughout the entire game.

Special teams is the culprit in this loss, for me.

When in the fuck are we going to have a decent field goal kicker!?

That and Ohio State was gaining field position all game long via their punting (distance) and coverage on our returns.

Should've been up three touchdowns at halftime and were still up 12 late, so this end result is pretty frustrating.

Their punter was unbelievable Saturday, people really underestimate how important that is. I think Pinegar will be fine, freshman getting his feet wet still. If he fails, we have a million walk on kickers and more coming in who were all successful HS kickers as well.

Definitely left a lot of points on board. As much as i hated the force feeding of Tommy in first few drives, rewatching, the 13 yard loss is a TD if Trace gives him a better throw. The thing that stings me the most is Trace not getting that W, because he played his ass off and deserved to win that game. No way he should not have had the ball in his hands on that 4th down.

Move on, heal up on the bye week and focus on winning out. Thing is, most people had us rebuilding and having a rough season with all our youth this year. If we still win 10-11 and get this roster loaded with experience for the next few years,look out. Most had pointed to 2019 as the year we'd really be back with a completely loaded roster for sevral years. We are ahead of schedule, and even though losses like this are very frustrating and sting, big picture we are in excellent shape as a program

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who will be the front runner for QB next year. I think the team will mature but McSorely will be missed. The kid is amazing. I will get mad at him for missing passes to wide open receivers and then he turns into Superman again.

The last play was paralysis by analysis. We were missing Hamler but they were missing two DBs and they had started to seriously spy Trace after the last TD.

Did they not go for a FG on that 4 and 1 due to the kicker? You have to take the points there.

I was very impressed by the D except for those damned screens.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who will be the front runner for QB next year. I think the team will mature but McSorely will be missed. The kid is amazing. I will get mad at him for missing passes to wide open receivers and then he turns into Superman again.

The last play was paralysis by analysis. We were missing Hamler but they were missing two DBs and they had started to seriously spy Trace after the last TD.

Did they not go for a FG on that 4 and 1 due to the kicker? You have to take the points there.

I was very impressed by the D except for those damned screens.

Tommy will QB barring a complete collapse in Spring, he was close to winning the job in 16. Clifford will be a great backup and can play if needed as well.

The 4th and 1 is a TD if the DE doesn't make an amazing play, no problem with it. Friermuth was running in clear with a blocker on only guy between him and 7

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm anything but doom and gloom here as far as the season goes and moving forward, but if we had any confidence in our kicking game at all, I think we have anywhere from 6 to 9 more points on the board at the end of this game. That would've been enough for the win.

It's obviously just difficult to see such an enormous game lost by one point when I believe it's fair to say we had opportunities to kick field goals earlier in the game and passed on them.

linebackeru

Caught in a Mosh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm anything but doom and gloom here as far as the season goes and moving forward, but if we had any confidence in our kicking game at all, I think we have anywhere from 6 to 9 more points on the board at the end of this game. That would've been enough for the win.

It's obviously just difficult to see such an enormous game lost by one point when I believe it's fair to say we had opportunities to kick field goals earlier in the game and passed on them.

We had opportunities to score TD's and didn't convert. If you are going to rely on 45+ FG all day and possibly turning it over to a good offense close to midfield when you have bottled them up all day, you ill end up in trouble sooner than later. No need to help them by giving them momentum

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We shall had the Lions respond in the next game given Franklin behaving like a complete dweeb getting into it with a fan who was probably a little bit inebriated.