• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 13 - Matt Barkley: Part Duex (Bears vs Niners GAME THREAD)

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a fun game, first play hicks get a roughing against kaperdick. Man I wished that was a shot to the ribs instead of that BS call. Then kaperdick just pouts off the field at the end of the game, Gabbert should start for them next week, kaperdick will opt out of the 49er deal to become a free agent and if there is any karma in this world, nobody will sign him, then we can hear how he is being discriminated against.

Timo and Kwaitkowski bouncing around hitting people, I really think Nick could have a real following in this city, but will probably be deemed a special teamer.

Who had the over on no passes caught and barkley nor kaperdick ever played in this type of weather? I think it was 21 moose.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a fun game, first play hicks get a roughing against kaperdick. Man I wished that was a shot to the ribs instead of that BS call. Then kaperdick just pouts off the field at the end of the game, Gabbert should start for them next week, kaperdick will opt out of the 49er deal to become a free agent and if there is any karma in this world, nobody will sign him, then we can hear how he is being discriminated against.

Timo and Kwaitkowski bouncing around hitting people, I really think Nick could have a real following in this city, but will probably be deemed a special teamer.

Who had the over on no passes caught and barkley nor kaperdick ever played in this type of weather? I think it was 21 moose.

Kwaitkowski was great today, minus a couple run plays where he couldn't get off of a block. However, he was our leading tackler, looked great in coverage and deflected two passes.

I really like him, and Trevathan likely won't be able to start the regular season on time. Trevathan is obviously the guy, but I'm no longer freaking out over it. I wouldn't mind seeing Kwaitkowski bulk up a bit this off-season.

Timu has certainly made some plays as well, but I think he's more of a depth piece. A very good one, but a depth piece.

I think we allowed only 145 total yards or something like that today. Should cement us well within the top ten D's statistically. Rooting hard to see us finish there. Would be pretty impressive given everything that went down with injuries this season. Fangio is a damn good D coordinator.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners and Titans are certainly no true measuring stick, but with that said, Barkley's play can't be ignored. He has shown a lot of moxie, and frankly, considering today's weather, his accuracy was remarkable. Give this kid some receivers that can actually catch and he could end up being a gamer.

Credit where credit is due. Kid has played like a stud, two straight weeks.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners and Titans are certainly no true measuring stick, but with that said, Barkley's play can't be ignored. He has shown a lot of moxie, and frankly, considering today's weather, his accuracy was remarkable. Give this kid some receivers that can actually catch and he could end up being a gamer.

Credit where credit is due. Kid has played like a stud, two straight weeks.

Couldn't believe how on the money his throws were downfield through that weather. All but the under thrown deep ball that Thompson got called (incorrectly) for an offensive PI on were DIMES. The two balls Bellamy dropped were also perfect.

I give him all of the credit in the world. However, I think we also have to keep things in perspective here. We've seen quite a few Bears QB's string together some good starts. I am VERY intrigued by Barkley, but I need to see him do this against some good defense's that have film on him. Teams that are fighting for the playoffs. He'll get that chance down the stretch.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners and Titans are certainly no true measuring stick, but with that said, Barkley's play can't be ignored. He has shown a lot of moxie, and frankly, considering today's weather, his accuracy was remarkable.
Let me start out by saying that I missed the entire 9'ers game.
But over the last few years, sadly, the Bears have shown that it doesn't matter who the opponent is. They've played great teams decently at times, and they've played inferior teams almost as inferior.
Their unpredictability is what make them predictably frustrating.
I say Barkley has earned a shot.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me start out by saying that I missed the entire 9'ers game.
But over the last few years, sadly, the Bears have shown that it doesn't matter who the opponent is. They've played great teams decently at times, and they've played inferior teams almost as inferior.
Their unpredictability is what make them predictably frustrating.
I say Barkley has earned a shot.

Agreed on both points.

Honestly, IMO, Barkley has put together the two best consecutive performances by any QB by the Bears in my recent memory. Cutler was the model of extreme inconsistency. The ultimate tease. Hoyer couldn't score. McCown couldn't win. Orton couldn't do it without one of the best D's ever.

Again, I am aware that the competition wasn't great, but the Bears are also shit, and playing with no-names.

Barkley has combined smart, poised play, with points on the board and chances taken.

Is he the answer? I don't know. The next couple weeks will be very telling, but I have been more pleased with his QB play than at any other point in the season, with any other QB.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is our new QB. Hoyer is out for the season Jay too. If I'm wrong tell me how.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed on both points.

Honestly, IMO, Barkley has put together the two best consecutive performances by any QB by the Bears in my recent memory. Cutler was the model of extreme inconsistency. The ultimate tease. Hoyer couldn't score. McCown couldn't win. Orton couldn't do it without one of the best D's ever.

Again, I am aware that the competition wasn't great, but the Bears are also shit, and playing with no-names.

Barkley has combined smart, poised play, with points on the board and chances taken.

Is he the answer? I don't know. The next couple weeks will be very telling, but I have been more pleased with his QB play than at any other point in the season, with any other QB.

I feel like a dick, but I have to stop you there... Now you're reaching.

Cutler put together full months of play like this. Quite a few times. He was inconsistent, but he certainly went on a few extended runs of very nice play. It was the brick wall that he'd run into out of nowhere that usually made it so frustrating. Rex Grossman was offensive player of the month in September of 2006. Orton was pretty much on fire the first half of 2008.

Barkley has made some very nice throws, and has played surprisingly well. However, he has not played "great". Let's keep things in perspective. He beat a 1 win team, and the worst defense in football. He threw two very poor INT's vs TEN, and while he made some nice throws in poor weather today. He had all of 11 completions... for no scores and under 200 yards. This was Jordan Howard's day. Let's be honest... if this was just another veteran NFL QB the last two weeks. We'd be "okay" with his play, but we wouldn't be overly happy.

I realize the fact that he's young and developing changes how we view this, but let's not start calling his play "great". It simply hasn't been. It's been encouraging. That's as far as we should be going.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is our new QB. Hoyer is out for the season Jay too. If I'm wrong tell me how.

Oh, he's the Chicago Bears QB right now. I'm not going to fight you there.

It was more the "we found a QB" part of your post, that made me laugh.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we all please take a look at this before we anoint Barkley the future QB?

Look at how PUTRID that 49ers pass rush is on all of these throws... Barkley might as well be sitting in a lawn chair and sipping a cocktail. That defense is HORRIFIC man.

Let's wait and see how he looks versus GB in two weeks. The team he struggled horribly against earlier in the year in his relief appearance of Hoyer. There's certain mechanical and footwork issues that I think could be re-exposed with him versus a competent defense.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, he's the Chicago Bears QB right now. I'm not going to fight you there.

It was more the "we found a QB" part of your post, that made me laugh.
I think we did find our QB. They guy has the head and leadership I want. He makes good reads and leads WRs. His numbers would be crazy without the drops. And he is doing it with backups. No AJ no Miller. A good pass rush would hurt Barkley, but it would hurt any QB including all the greats. The guy makes good decisions and sees the field well. He does not lock on one WR and can't see the rest. He scores TDs. He has outplayed both Cutler and Hoyer. These next 4 games now have importance. He just started for the second time so basically he is rookie ish. If we drafted a rookie and that rookie showed what Barkley is showing? We would all need a change of underwear.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Know how to know your teams injuries are in a real bad state? When your injury report for the current week has names on it, and you have NO idea who these guys are.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like a dick, but I have to stop you there... Now you're reaching.

Cutler put together full months of play like this. Quite a few times. He was inconsistent, but he certainly went on a few extended runs of very nice play. It was the brick wall that he'd run into out of nowhere that usually made it so frustrating. Rex Grossman was offensive player of the month in September of 2006. Orton was pretty much on fire the first half of 2008.

Barkley has made some very nice throws, and has played surprisingly well. However, he has not played "great". Let's keep things in perspective. He beat a 1 win team, and the worst defense in football. He threw two very poor INT's vs TEN, and while he made some nice throws in poor weather today. He had all of 11 completions... for no scores and under 200 yards. This was Jordan Howard's day. Let's be honest... if this was just another veteran NFL QB the last two weeks. We'd be "okay" with his play, but we wouldn't be overly happy.

I realize the fact that he's young and developing changes how we view this, but let's not start calling his play "great". It simply hasn't been. It's been encouraging. That's as far as we should be going.

Fuck Cutler. Cutler had a great D when he got here, and did next-to-nothing with it. Then he had an all-star Offense and did next-to-nothing with it. If Cutler threw for 200 yards and only 1 turnover, we all acted like he was Jesus Christ. Fuck him, I really don't wanna hear his stupid fucking name again.

2006 isn't exactly recent memory. Orton was Hoyer before Hoyer. Fuck him too. Again, all-time great D, and THEY (the D) would end up winning most games.

I followed my statement with the reality that it was against poor teams, did I not?

And really dude, don't you think the 11 attempts might have had a little to do with the fact that nobody threw the ball until midway through the second quarter? That's on the coaches. When they allowed him to pass, he succeeded.

As far as his two picks against Tenn, I'll cut him some slack, since it was ostensibly his first real action in what, 5 years?

I realize the kid isn't the second coming, I am merely showing my satisfaction with his play, and giving him his due credit.

I stand by my statement. Considering his supporting cast, their record, the injuries...I think those were two straight impressive performances. Best two all season, at the very least, and definitely two of the better in RECENT memory.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we all please take a look at this before we anoint Barkley the future QB?

Look at how PUTRID that 49ers pass rush is on all of these throws... Barkley might as well be sitting in a lawn chair and sipping a cocktail. That defense is HORRIFIC man.

Let's wait and see how he looks versus GB in two weeks. The team he struggled horribly against earlier in the year in his relief appearance of Hoyer. There's certain mechanical and footwork issues that I think could be re-exposed with him versus a competent defense.

Again...the last paragraph of my post states exactly this.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would also like to point out, that Tennessee is no slouch. Are they going to the Super Bowl? No, obviously not, but they did annihilate the Packers just 2 weeks before playing the Bears. We all know that should have been a W for the Bears, and most the credit for that, deservedly should go to Barkley.

Again, he could fall off the face of the Earth the next 4 weeks...I just liked what I've seen of him these last 2 weeks. That's all. Not anointing him, or dubbing him a Knight...just liked what I saw. Best two games of the season by a Bears QB, and maybe even the last few seasons. (Again, admittedly against "poor" teams)

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nobody is anointing him anything, most of us just want to see a few competent quarterbacks in camp next year and the best man win the job. No more of this bullshit of playing 2 series in the first two games, then three series, then nothing when nothing is being accomplished when the offense has come out stinking up the joint the first quarter of the season. Who cares about giving stuff away, its all in the execution.

Bellamy is reminding me of Brandon Lloyd except he tries to make the routine extraordinary instead of just catching the tough ones.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we did find our QB. They guy has the head and leadership I want. He makes good reads and leads WRs. His numbers would be crazy without the drops. And he is doing it with backups. No AJ no Miller. A good pass rush would hurt Barkley, but it would hurt any QB including all the greats. The guy makes good decisions and sees the field well. He does not lock on one WR and can't see the rest. He scores TDs. He has outplayed both Cutler and Hoyer. These next 4 games now have importance. He just started for the second time so basically he is rookie ish. If we drafted a rookie and that rookie showed what Barkley is showing? We would all need a change of underwear.

I'll say it again... Bears fans crack me the hell up.