• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 13 Giants

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back to back road wins...6-5, tied for the lead in the DIV race...obviously not where we want them to be, but as popular saying goes..."it is what it is". All of us who watch this team on a regular basis are still unsure about this group. The last two weeks have been good, but if we're keeping it real, they should've won those two games.

The test against an accomplished QB that we thought was going to be last week comes this week in the form of 2 time SB winner Eli Manning. Certainly more accomplished than Luck, but maybe easier to defend because he's not as mobile. We get to see just where this DEF is right now.

Injuries

Harrison (concussion) I had not heard this, so I was little surprised to see him listed. The slap on the head by Walton after a good play last week seemed to stun him a little, but I didn't think it was serious. Just going off the way the league handles concussed players today, we might not see him this week...hope that's not the case. Mitchell (stinger)...DWill (knee) Grimble (quad), S. Thomas (groin)...on this early report I saw has them all listed as questionable. We'll have to follow this closely as the weekend nears.

This game

The Giants come into PIT 8-3 winners of 6 straight games. They rank 21st on OFC and 5th on DEF (points)...they spent a lot of FA money on DEF bringing in Vernon @ DE and Jenkins and Hall @ CB...of course JPP is still a playmaker and he leads the team in sacks...on OFC, they don't run the ball real well which is a little unusual for a northeast team, but Beckman, Cruz, and Shepard are all dangerous players.

This will be a challenge for the OL...Gilbert vs JPP will be a good match up to watch and Vernon has come on strong the last few games so AVill will have his work cut out as well...when you peel back a few layers of their season, of the 6 straight wins, 4 have come against teams with losing records. Secondly, they have not faced an OFC as good as PIT in any of those games...that kind of explains why Vegas likes PIT +6...a little high for me to be laying any cheese but I do like the the matchup to favor the Steelers at home a little.

On OFC, the key will be trench play...keep Ben upright and I think Haley can attack the Giants LBs with Green and Bell...Bell/Nix combo looked pretty good last week...I expect to see them challenge the Giants front 7 with the run. No CB can handle AB 1 on 1 with no safety help, it will be interesting to see how the Giants defend him.

On DEF, admittedly, I'm concerned as always with this group. Manning is a seasoned QB, I don't think Butler can rush 4 and play zone behind it the whole game and keep this team below 24 pts...maybe not a steady diet of it against those WRs, but he's going to have to mix it up and bring heat and play some man behind it on a occasion.

Strange, their DEF is ranked higher than their OFC, but I'm more fearful of their OFC vs the Steeler DEF...that said, I can see a lot of footballs in the air in this game...I don't feel like the Steelers OL will be dominated nor will they dominate the NY DL, but as long as they keep the run game in play to take some edge off the pass rushers, I like PIT in this one...28-24.

What say you?

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitt by 5.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good writeup as always ATL! :suds:

Offense... Giants D is very formidable, but they haven't really been tested like they will this week. PIT's offense is just too dynamic to keep a lid on it. But as we already know, PIT is their own worst enemy. I agree with ATL that it starts with keeping Ben upright. They have been on a hot streak lately with allowing very little pass rush. A much stiffer test awaits this week in the form of JPP & Vernon, not to mention their big snack up front. Should be interesting to see if the O-line can rise to the occasion. I think AB will have a tougher time finding open field this week. I don't see NYG making the same mistake of not putting a safety over the top all game like Indy didn't do. I'm thinking we will see a lot of yards & targets for Rogers & Green. Or maybe Coates finally breaks out again? Still, the focus needs to be on Bell. The recipe has been working so don't shy away from it.

Defense... All eyes are going to be on the secondary in this game. As ATL said, a lot of balls are going to be thrown in this contest. Realistically the NYG WRs are very similar to the Indy WRs. Just a tad more dynamic with ODB being the animal that he is. Butler will no doubt have his DBs keep the plays in front of them, so expect a lot of those ever-frustrating 15yd cushions. I'm losing sleep over the thought of our DBs trying to (arm) tackle ODB in space. The front 7 will need to disrupt Manning or else he'll find his rhythm and feast. IMO Manning is much more prone to being rattled, so if they can frustrate him then the mistakes will come. Let's hope they can capitalize.

Overall... Crunch time for playoffs. Wish we all felt more confident about this group, but all we can do is hope they can keep improving and stringing wins together (and here's to hoping that Baltimore collapses!). All it takes is for a team to peak at the right time and they can bring home the Lombardi. We've seen it plenty of times before. However, I am not very confident about this week's game, despite being a home game. I'm still of the opinion that the defensive effort last week was more a reflection of a Tolzien-led offense. Even Tolzien was able to eat up tons of passing yards between the 20s. Luck would have made them pay in the RZ. If the defense can capitalize on a few turnovers that Manning is prone to, then the offense should be able to run away with it. A lot of that hinges on the offense to carry the load, per usual. Tougher opposition on both sides of the ball this week should prove a worthy measuring stick for how the season will end. Like any playoff-caliber team, PIT will need contributions from all 3 phases with consistency.

Keeping with my established juju...

NYG 32 - PIT 26

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harrison (concussion) I had not heard this, so I was little surprised to see him listed.

Yikes. Got a bit worried about that during the game, hoped it was nuthin. Well, my prediction is that by all rights Beckham should have about a 300 yard game. However, since the Giants aren't bottom dwellers, I say he's held to 50, Eli gets disrupted and flustered, resulting in 3 picks. Bell is held in check on the ground, but Ben goes crazy hitting someone we don't expect (Green, maybe? Coates' fingers are healed and he goes nuts?) and Pittsburgh wins by 13.

Please feel free to punch me in the face if I jinxed us.:tape:

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yikes. Got a bit worried about that during the game, hoped it was nuthin. Well, my prediction is that by all rights Beckham should have about a 300 yard game. However, since the Giants aren't bottom dwellers, I say he's held to 50, Eli gets disrupted and flustered, resulting in 3 picks. Bell is held in check on the ground, but Ben goes crazy hitting someone we don't expect (Green, maybe? Coates' fingers are healed and he goes nuts?) and Pittsburgh wins by 13.

_91176619_p047q0vv.jpg

DrewScott

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Giants game come down to the last 6 minutes of the 4th qtr. This will be no different. I see Pittsburgh scoring a late td to go up by 2 points with about 2 minutes left. Then Eli drives them to about the 32, setting up a game winning 49 yarder by shaky Robbie Gould. The kick is up, it has the distance.........ahhhhhhh

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL...we got Face going with the reverse jinx and you with the positive jinx.

Butler knows this OFC is capable of carving up his DEF if they sit back and play zone all game so I'm confident he's got something up his sleeve. Sacks will be great, but getting Eli to move off his spot, throw on the run, back peddle, whatever, anything to get the DEF off the field is the order of the day.

I'm not as concerned about their DEF even though I know they are pretty good...the OL will have to play well and I think they will.

Deebo...I haven't heard anything today, so maybe that's good news.

BTW...would love to see your prediction come through!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good writeup as always ATL! :suds:

Offense... Giants D is very formidable, but they haven't really been tested like they will this week. PIT's offense is just too dynamic to keep a lid on it. But as we already know, PIT is their own worst enemy. I agree with ATL that it starts with keeping Ben upright. They have been on a hot streak lately with allowing very little pass rush. A much stiffer test awaits this week in the form of JPP & Vernon, not to mention their big snack up front. Should be interesting to see if the O-line can rise to the occasion. I think AB will have a tougher time finding open field this week. I don't see NYG making the same mistake of not putting a safety over the top all game like Indy didn't do. I'm thinking we will see a lot of yards & targets for Rogers & Green. Or maybe Coates finally breaks out again? Still, the focus needs to be on Bell. The recipe has been working so don't shy away from it.

Defense... All eyes are going to be on the secondary in this game. As ATL said, a lot of balls are going to be thrown in this contest. Realistically the NYG WRs are very similar to the Indy WRs. Just a tad more dynamic with ODB being the animal that he is. Butler will no doubt have his DBs keep the plays in front of them, so expect a lot of those ever-frustrating 15yd cushions. I'm losing sleep over the thought of our DBs trying to (arm) tackle ODB in space. The front 7 will need to disrupt Manning or else he'll find his rhythm and feast. IMO Manning is much more prone to being rattled, so if they can frustrate him then the mistakes will come. Let's hope they can capitalize.

Overall... Crunch time for playoffs. Wish we all felt more confident about this group, but all we can do is hope they can keep improving and stringing wins together (and here's to hoping that Baltimore collapses!). All it takes is for a team to peak at the right time and they can bring home the Lombardi. We've seen it plenty of times before. However, I am not very confident about this week's game, despite being a home game. I'm still of the opinion that the defensive effort last week was more a reflection of a Tolzien-led offense. Even Tolzien was able to eat up tons of passing yards between the 20s. Luck would have made them pay in the RZ. If the defense can capitalize on a few turnovers that Manning is prone to, then the offense should be able to run away with it. A lot of that hinges on the offense to carry the load, per usual. Tougher opposition on both sides of the ball this week should prove a worthy measuring stick for how the season will end. Like any playoff-caliber team, PIT will need contributions from all 3 phases with consistency.

Keeping with my established juju...

NYG 32 - PIT 26

I've only seen the NYG twice this yr...this should be a good matchup...you are right about Manning...he can be flustered if getting hit.

Cruz is not quite as dynamic as he was pre-injury but still a strong threat...I'm really looking forward to this game...as you mentioned, it will be a good measuring stick to see where both teams are.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Giants game come down to the last 6 minutes of the 4th qtr. This will be no different. I see Pittsburgh scoring a late td to go up by 2 points with about 2 minutes left. Then Eli drives them to about the 32, setting up a game winning 49 yarder by shaky Robbie Gould. The kick is up, it has the distance.........ahhhhhhh

57752655.jpg

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...we got Face going with the reverse jinx and you with the positive jinx.

Butler knows this OFC is capable of carving up his DEF if they sit back and play zone all game so I'm confident he's got something up his sleeve. Sacks will be great, but getting Eli to move off his spot, throw on the run, back peddle, whatever, anything to get the DEF off the field is the order of the day.

I'm not as concerned about their DEF even though I know they are pretty good...the OL will have to play well and I think they will.

Deebo...I haven't heard anything today, so maybe that's good news.

BTW...would love to see your prediction come through!

I read he was cleared to go back into the game with the Colts, but decided against it.
But all reports says he is active.

Maximus Rex

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,357.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, definitely a possibility, Psych, but I didn't include him because it wouldn't be too "unexpected" for me to see Rogers go nuts - I'm thinking it'll be someone we don't predict at all, like Green or the Outlaw -hey, Outlaw's in that pic!- or something weird. Sure hope Rogers does, though! (Obligatory tape-face anti-jinx icon inserted here-:tape:).

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, definitely a possibility, Psych, but I didn't include him because it wouldn't be too "unexpected" for me to see Rogers go nuts - I'm thinking it'll be someone we don't predict at all, like Green or the Outlaw -hey, Outlaw's in that pic!- or something weird. Sure hope Rogers does, though! (Obligatory tape-face anti-jinx icon inserted here-:tape:).

Wouldn't mind at all to see Eli or the Outlaw step up big time!!!!

I posted up a funny rating because I can't post more than one, but this also deserves...........
winner1.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hopefully that kick is into the open end of the stadium...lol

I'm expecting a fairly close game as well, but I can also see the Steelers covering the 6...Giants are playing a team that should be desperate to make the playoffs.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read he was cleared to go back into the game with the Colts, but decided against it.
But all reports says he is active.

Not sure why Pro-football reference showed in questionable...don't believe everything you read on the internet...should probably be a saying if it's not already...lol

He looks good to go.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why Pro-football reference showed in questionable...don't believe everything you read on the internet...should probably be a saying if it's not already...lol

He looks good to go.

I'm still in shock that he was cleared to go back in the Colts game and didn't.....
Most guys would not think twice and just go back in.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still in shock that he was cleared to go back in the Colts game and didn't.....
Most guys would not think twice and just go back in.

The game didn't really seem in hand, but the score might've been a 2-3 poss game when that happened...maybe he was saving himself for this week.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game didn't really seem in hand, but the score might've been a 2-3 poss game when that happened...maybe he was saving himself for this week.

You think about it though, at his age, being more or less the team leader......
Maybe he did think going back and getting his clock really cleaned wasn't a good option.
And maybe he might of thought he wouldn't of done them any good.

It's hard to say. Just that slap in the back of the head and he loses his balance like he did.......only he can answer it. I honestly applaud him for not going back in, because we do need him for the long haul this season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think about it though, at his age, being more or less the team leader......
Maybe he did think going back and getting his clock really cleaned wasn't a good option.
And maybe he might of thought he wouldn't of done them any good.

It's hard to say. Just that slap in the back of the head and he loses his balance like he did.......only he can answer it. I honestly applaud him for not going back in, because we do need him for the long haul this season.

Agree 100%, that was a little disturbing to see that little slap stagger him, but smarter to be ready for this week...I think this is why he was not getting a ton of snaps earlier in the season...they knew they would need him fresher down the stretch.