• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 1 @ CLE

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay Steeler Nation, all of the fun and games are over, the 53 (most of it) has been named and we're just about ready to see toe meeting leather for game one of the 2018 season.

The boys start off with a AFCN game @ Cleveland...1p game

Speaking of the 53...The following players have been dinged up much of the preseason and training camp.

Ramon Foster (knee) , Mike Hilton (lower leg) , Xavier Grimble (thumb) and Morgan Burnett (unspecified) all practiced yesterday. Vance McDonald (foot) did not practice, but is listed as day to day. So for now, it appears that Jesse James will start @ TE this week. As for the rest of the players...Foster is likely to start, Sutton is the back up slot corner. Burnett I think will start, if not the rookie Terrell Edmunds is his back up.

Bell...as of Monday's practice, Bell has not signed his tag and reported. There are some internal team comments out there stating they expect him to be there on Wed. In either case, I expect/hope Connor to start in this game.

A look at the re-made Browns...I'm not sure if any team has had as much turnover from last year (according to GM, John Dorsey 59% change from 2017). Obviously the big name is Haley landing in CLE to assume the OC role. In addition to Haley, they landed Chris Hubbard, the former Steeler swing OT. They have a new trigger man, Tyrod Taylor from BUF. RB, Carlos Hyde and the draft pick Nick Chubb. They spent some FA money and brought in Jarvis Landry from MIA. These are just the notables. We've always known, at some point the Browns might reverse their losing trend. They are a popular pick to go above .500 this season. while I'm not sure about that, I don't see them going 0-16 this season either.

The Steelers swept the Browns last year, but neither game was easy so I understand those that think the Browns could pull off the upset this week.

This game...Vegas opened up with PIT +7, but has since moved to PIT +4. I'm concerned as with every game, but not really worried. Haley being on the other sideline will ensure the Steelers are at full attention on DEF. If Dupree wants to get off on a good start towards earning that 5th yr, he couldn't have picked a better game. Swapping sides with TJ Watt moves him to the ROLB spot (CLE might be moving LG over to LT, suffice to say they are still unsettled at the position.

DIV games are typically low scoring barring some turnovers, and I think this will be fairly close also....I like this one 24-20 Steelers.

What say you?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense... Nervous about Villanueva matching up against Garrett in this game. But I'm hoping that Fichtner opens things up early on to take the gas out of their D-line. If Ben is in rhythm then they won't have any answers for him. He has too many options, just needs to get in sync & trust his receivers. Browns defense runs a lot of aggressive cover-1 with plenty of blitzing packages. Putting their DBs on an island against this stacked receiving corps will work in PIT's favor. Conner should get the bulk of the carries, but who knows if Bell will report today or tomorrow. If he does then I assume Tomlin is obliged to give him the lion's share. I think Conner's running style is better suited against CLE. Power runs work well against 4-3 fronts. Their D-line may find some penetration from the perimeter so quick-hit runs will be more effective as opposed to inside zone sweeps & counters. That's why I think Conner's style will be better suited for this game.

Defense... Browns have a balanced offense with plenty of talent. I'm trusting that the Steelers D-line will handle their business and shut down their rush attack. That means Taylor will get plenty of opportunities against the suspect secondary. Not sure whether we'll see Josh Gordon or not. But they still have enough firepower to move the chains. Their TE Njoku is going to be a tough matchup for anyone. If the front 7 can generate enough pressure then I think Taylor will make mistakes like he has during his entire career.

Expecting some back & forth to some degree, but ultimately the Steelers should be able to pull away. Although I'm expecting another one of Tomlin's classic opening stumbles. Especially since this is on the road. Still lookin at a W.

Steelers 28-17

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offense... Nervous about Villanueva matching up against Garrett in this game. But I'm hoping that Fichtner opens things up early on to take the gas out of their D-line. If Ben is in rhythm then they won't have any answers for him. He has too many options, just needs to get in sync & trust his receivers. Browns defense runs a lot of aggressive cover-1 with plenty of blitzing packages. Putting their DBs on an island against this stacked receiving corps will work in PIT's favor. Conner should get the bulk of the carries, but who knows if Bell will report today or tomorrow. If he does then I assume Tomlin is obliged to give him the lion's share. I think Conner's running style is better suited against CLE. Power runs work well against 4-3 fronts. Their D-line may find some penetration from the perimeter so quick-hit runs will be more effective as opposed to inside zone sweeps & counters. That's why I think Conner's style will be better suited for this game.

Defense... Browns have a balanced offense with plenty of talent. I'm trusting that the Steelers D-line will handle their business and shut down their rush attack. That means Taylor will get plenty of opportunities against the suspect secondary. Not sure whether we'll see Josh Gordon or not. But they still have enough firepower to move the chains. Their TE Njoku is going to be a tough matchup for anyone. If the front 7 can generate enough pressure then I think Taylor will make mistakes like he has during his entire career.

Expecting some back & forth to some degree, but ultimately the Steelers should be able to pull away. Although I'm expecting another one of Tomlin's classic opening stumbles. Especially since this is on the road. Still lookin at a W.

Steelers 28-17

Like your score much better!

Trenches...Steeler OL...Nassib did the most damage LY in the two games, and I don't see him on the roster this year. Idt Garrett played in the 1st game, but did have a sack in the final game of the season....The Browns strength is on the edge with Ogbah & Garrett so I agree, both AVil and Gilbert need to play well. While I can appreciate the patience and power of Bell, I like Connor's more hard hitting style of running....the 43 front is supposed to keep the LBs clean to flow, but the power play pulling can create some numbers and get that OG on a LB and you can have some success running against it.

As for Bell...I really think this is Connor's game to start...If Bell is there today, maybe he plays in the game, but the lag in reporting is testing Tomlin imo...if he rolls over and starts Bell in this game it's a wuss move and sets a bad tone for the season...these guys are pros, they understand the biz side of not coming to camp, preseason, etc., but it's go time now. You're either with the team or you're not.

Steeler DL...Generally speaking I think OL needs a few games as a unit to really get their timing, assignments down. The Browns are still not settled at LT. Last I read they were moving Bitonio (LG) to OT. Dupree is likely going to be 1 on 1 a lot in this game. It'll be interesting to see how they try to block Watt who killed them LY. I expect Tuitt, Heyward, and Hargrave to control the LOS and stuff the running lanes. I like the Steeler front 7 in this game.

Steeler secondary/pass coverage... I have a feeling Gordon will play...Njoku is a tough matchup, curious to see how Butler will defend him...LB, S or a combination. Explosion plays really hurt this DEF LY, I'm anxious to see how Davis handles the FS role and keeping plays in front of him.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like your score much better!

Trenches...Steeler OL...Nassib did the most damage LY in the two games, and I don't see him on the roster this year. Idt Garrett played in the 1st game, but did have a sack in the final game of the season....The Browns strength is on the edge with Ogbah & Garrett so I agree, both AVil and Gilbert need to play well. While I can appreciate the patience and power of Bell, I like Connor's more hard hitting style of running....the 43 front is supposed to keep the LBs clean to flow, but the power play pulling can create some numbers and get that OG on a LB and you can have some success running against it.

As for Bell...I really think this is Connor's game to start...If Bell is there today, maybe he plays in the game, but the lag in reporting is testing Tomlin imo...if he rolls over and starts Bell in this game it's a wuss move and sets a bad tone for the season...these guys are pros, they understand the biz side of not coming to camp, preseason, etc., but it's go time now. You're either with the team or you're not.

Steeler DL...Generally speaking I think OL needs a few games as a unit to really get their timing, assignments down. The Browns are still not settled at LT. Last I read they were moving Bitonio (LG) to OT. Dupree is likely going to be 1 on 1 a lot in this game. It'll be interesting to see how they try to block Watt who killed them LY. I expect Tuitt, Heyward, and Hargrave to control the LOS and stuff the running lanes. I like the Steeler front 7 in this game.

Steeler secondary/pass coverage... I have a feeling Gordon will play...Njoku is a tough matchup, curious to see how Butler will defend him...LB, S or a combination. Explosion plays really hurt this DEF LY, I'm anxious to see how Davis handles the FS role and keeping plays in front of him.
All good points ATL! :suds:

Excited to get this game underway. Feels like there are a lot of questions that need answering! But there's plenty of optimism about this season.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fear this game will end up being a lot like last years season opener. This Browns team, on paper, should give us some problems on the defensive side. Eventually, all of the young talent on this team is gonna be unstoppable, but it's not gonna be this year. I'm not real worried about Tyrod at QB, I think it will be easy to get to him, but I think it's gonna be a close one just because it always seems to be close and that Browns defense actually looks pretty good. Not gonna be a great view of our 2018 Steelers team out the gate but gotta expect that to happen out of a division game. With that said...

Steelers 30 Browns 21

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steelers 35-21.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll, fuck me.

Harrisburg is forced to show Buffalo v Baltimore for Week 1.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Burnett still hurt?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, on a scale of 1-10, how deep are the Browns about to break one off in the Steelers?

Mayfiled's about to put the stones to River City.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, on a scale of 1-10, how deep are the Browns about to break one off in the Steelers?

Fair to middlin'... These AFCN bouts are usually unpredictable, and often go all the way into the 4th quarter. We shall see.

Is Mayfield startin? Last I heard it was Taylor?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair to middlin'... These AFCN bouts are usually unpredictable, and often go all the way into the 4th quarter. We shall see.

Yeah, I have no idea. That was my dougplayer imitation for the Browns.

I'm not much of an NFL fan, but I'm ready to run out at purchase a pink browns hat.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not much of an NFL fan, but I'm ready to run out at purchase a pink browns hat.
You sure you don't want to join the rest of the Browns crowd with one of these:

daly_jewelism1_800.jpg

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tyrod is starting but I fully expect Baker to come in at some point in the game. He will def be the starter by the time we play then again.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyrod is starting but I fully expect Baker to come in at some point in the game. He will def be the starter by the time we play then again.
My thinking as well. Taylor is a decent QB, and if he finds a good rhythm with his team early then they'll be a good team. But gut feeling tells me the team will struggle, and with the pressure on the coaches & FO they will press Mayfield into action sooner rather than later.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Steelers OL wants to prove to Bell that they matter, too. And they'll want Connor to look like Superman.

They're gonna block their asses off.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean, block their asses off with duct tape or paper mache or something so the Browns can't break one off in them? I'm not sure that's gonna work.
There are some big asses on that line. That would be a lot of tape.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fear this game will end up being a lot like last years season opener. This Browns team, on paper, should give us some problems on the defensive side. Eventually, all of the young talent on this team is gonna be unstoppable, but it's not gonna be this year. I'm not real worried about Tyrod at QB, I think it will be easy to get to him, but I think it's gonna be a close one just because it always seems to be close and that Browns defense actually looks pretty good. Not gonna be a great view of our 2018 Steelers team out the gate but gotta expect that to happen out of a division game. With that said...

Steelers 30 Browns 21

Browns have some solid pieces on DEF, but still lacking in some areas...we'll have to see how the DTs and LBs play and they are young on the backend...is TJ Carrie their CB1? The key will be blocking the edge boys... and getting some heat on Taylor....I do think it will be fairly close unless CLE has a few turnovers, but that's not Taylor's MO.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll, fuck me.

Harrisburg is forced to show Buffalo v Baltimore for Week 1.

We're getting HOU @ NE down here in ATL so it'll be a scramble for me...BAL might be geographically closer, but that doesn't mean people in PA give a crap about Ravens.

One day the NFL will figure out single game PPV for out of market games.