• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Weakest Cases for HOFers Who Made It?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Like it's been said many times, it's the hall of fame, not the hall of really good. Every guy who makes it pushes out a guy who probably has an excellent case who didn't make it.

Who are the HOFers who had the weakest resumes? There's already a thread about Dungy, but who are some others who kept out people more deserving?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might catch some flack for this one but Jerome Bettis to me is a guy that was good but never really great. He finished his career averaging under 4 yards per carry and really only had about a 2 year stunt you could say he was top-5 for his position if even that. To me HOF should mean that you were the best at what you did in the NFL at some point in your career and Bettis just doesn't fit that for me. I feel like his likable personality really helped his case.

cravnravn

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
HOF a joke, why is Namath in there? Threw more picks then tds..If Lambert is in why isn't Mike Curtis in? And Art Modell needs a place in the hall of fame.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOF a joke, why is Namath in there? Threw more picks then tds..If Lambert is in why isn't Mike Curtis in? And Art Modell needs a place in the hall of fame.

Namath to me is in because the 1 Super Bowl he won changed the entire outlook of the NFL. At that point it was thought that the NFL was so far superior to the AFL that it wasn't even worth trying to merge them into one league. That win over the Colts gave the AFL a symbol of their league's legitimacy. Yes stats wise he wasn't that great of a QB but him being the central figure in one of the most influential games in NFL history is why he deserves to be in.

cravnravn

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Namath to me is in because the 1 Super Bowl he won changed the entire outlook of the NFL. At that point it was thought that the NFL was so far superior to the AFL that it wasn't even worth trying to merge them into one league. That win over the Colts gave the AFL a symbol of their league's legitimacy. Yes stats wise he wasn't that great of a QB but him being the central figure in one of the most influential games in NFL history is why he deserves to be in.

Oh you speaking of the the fixed sb iii game. True to an extent, if my Colts would have blown out the jets there would have been no merger between the league's, and the nfl which we have today probably would not exist.

KnightAndDay

Separate or shoot to kill
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,129.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh you speaking of the the fixed sb iii game. True to an extent, if my Colts would have blown out the jets there would have been no merger between the league's, and the nfl which we have today probably would not exist.

Fixed? How was it fixed?

cravnravn

Hoopla Cash
$ 850.00
Fixed? How was it fixed?

Too many things happened during the game, from Morral missing a wide opened wr claiming that he didn't see him because his uniform blended in with our band that was seated in the end zone,

Bubba Smith wrote a book, Kill Bubba Kill it really shed some light also Ken Burns did a documentary on then Owner Carroll Rosenbloom and his death. Colts were 17 point favs in that game and the mob lost a lot of money on that game.

I rewatched SB 3 and that was not the Colts I was used to seeing.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You really won't get much push back from me on Bettis...very good for a long time, dominant for a short stretch...being charismatic certainly helped.

Namath...I do push back...the significance of the game was great, huge even, but not enough to warrant HOF imo off his numbers.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really won't get much push back from me on Bettis...very good for a long time, dominant for a short stretch...being charismatic certainly helped.

Namath...I do push back...the significance of the game was great, huge even, but not enough to warrant HOF imo off his numbers.
True about Namath. Word is he sold his soul to win that game. Now we debate other QBs such as Farve, Warner, Peyton, etc when Namath is in with his lousy resume.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Namath gets somewhat underrated. Yeah, he had more ints than TD's in his career, but did so in an era where throwing the deep ball was the norm. He was a 5 time Pro Bowler, when that was an actual legit accolade. He was the first to break the 4000 yard barrier. He won and played well in what might be the most important game in the history of the NFL. Before his knee injuries, he really was an impressive talent.

I'm not saying he should be in the Hall or that he's a lock, but I can't completely dismiss him either.

Now Paul Hornung....he has no business in the HOF.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry should have said "is why they feel he deserves to be in." I agree he is borderline at best. To me HOF means having an incredible career not just one game. He otherwise was pretty average even compared to his contemporaries if I remember right.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like it's been said many times, it's the hall of fame, not the hall of really good. Every guy who makes it pushes out a guy who probably has an excellent case who didn't make it.

Who are the HOFers who had the weakest resumes? There's already a thread about Dungy, but who are some others who kept out people more deserving?
John Elway

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Probably the biggest oversight in the history of HOF voting was not putting Jerry Kramer in Canton.