• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WCF - (1) Vancouver Canucks vs (2) San Jose Sharks Series Thread

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jdg3m.jpg

Don Taylor has a new fight judge...

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
holy fuck lol

if hes out to not come back it must be a bad injury lol

I see this wasnt any better english lol

:L

what I meant was if Joe was injured enough to keep him out of that game then the injury must be pretty bad. but sounds like hes playing tomorrow. probably not 100%

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Tuesday will be Canucks 100th game of season (82+18): 65-23-11. Sedins, Kesler & Hansen have suited up for all of 'em

/patterson

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
When are they going to start showing the wear & tare of the season?

getting Schneider into 25 games was HUGE for Luongo, i think. they've been saying they would do that for years, but this is the first season they've actually done it.

the fact that we have depth means that we aren't relying on the Sedins to carry us offensively every game. Look at Nashville series as a good example. Henrik could barely skate, and Kesler picked up the slack. Sedins have been refreshed for this series again, and Kes doesn't need to be in beast mode. it's kind of been that way all season.... as long as two lines were going (it didn't much matter which two), we were a very, very successful team. for the Sedins specifically, AV had them averaging less than 20 minutes this year anyways, so they didn't get as wore down as they may have been otherwise.

We had a week or so at the end of the season with the Pres trophy locked up where we could roll 4 lines and let up a bit (see the back-to-back losses vs Edm).

defense should OK, again because of depth. We used 13 or 14 d-men this year.
Edler played 51 games, Bieksa 66, Salo 27, Ballard 65, Hamhuis 64. ehrhoff was the only of the top 6 that was up close to 80 games. ironically, it was only these injuries that allowed us to keep the d-core intact and under the cap.

closing out Nashville before the Sharks could finish Detroit was very handy as well... we had almost a week to recover (very important for Henrik, especially), while the Sharks had 2 days.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
getting Schneider into 25 games was HUGE for Luongo, i think. they've been saying they would do that for years, but this is the first season they've actually done it.

the fact that we have depth means that we aren't relying on the Sedins to carry us offensively every game. Look at Nashville series as a good example. Henrik could barely skate, and Kesler picked up the slack. Sedins have been refreshed for this series again, and Kes doesn't need to be in beast mode. it's kind of been that way all season.... as long as two lines were going (it didn't much matter which two), we were a very, very successful team. for the Sedins specifically, AV had them averaging less than 20 minutes this year anyways, so they didn't get as wore down as they may have been otherwise.

We had a week or so at the end of the season with the Pres trophy locked up where we could roll 4 lines and let up a bit (see the back-to-back losses vs Edm).

defense should OK, again because of depth. We used 13 or 14 d-men this year.
Edler played 51 games, Bieksa 66, Salo 27, Ballard 65, Hamhuis 64. ehrhoff was the only of the top 6 that was up close to 80 games. ironically, it was only these injuries that allowed us to keep the d-core intact and under the cap.

closing out Nashville before the Sharks could finish Detroit was very handy as well... we had almost a week to recover (very important for Henrik, especially), while the Sharks had 2 days.

You mentioned in another thread the possibility of trading Schneider this offseason. What would you expect in return for him?

Would you prefer to keep Schneider & trade Luongo?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
You mentioned in another thread the possibility of trading Schneider this offseason. What would you expect in return for him?

Would you prefer to keep Schneider & trade Luongo?

Schneider is am A-level prospect. he is absolutely ready to be a very good starter for someone. his numbers were almost identical to Luongo's.
I'd expect an A-level prospect in return. before JVR became a monster in the playoffs, I thought that would have been a pretty decent swap for both sides. Basically, i'm looking at someone who can step into 2nd line (or talented 3rd line) now, and develop into a 1st line player. this might not be the best summer for it, as there are a glut of UFA goalies on the market. If that's the case, as mentioned, we use him and see if someone raises the price at the deadline.

I don't know of another team that is close enough to winning right now but desperate for a steady and good goalie. Anaheim maybe? depends on if Hiller recovers. I don't know their system very well, but would expect something a level below Bobby Ryan, if such thing exists.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep Luongo, as he's signed to a $5.3 m cap hit forever, and to me he's a proven elite goalie. Others (you included) may disagree about his 'clutchiness', but I think he's overall a very steady presence back there.
Lou has a NTC (there are certain out-clauses along the way), but if the planets lined up where a trade happened, I'd be sad about it, but comfortable in a Schneider / Lack combo.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schneider is am A-level prospect. he is absolutely ready to be a very good starter for someone. his numbers were almost identical to Luongo's.
I'd expect an A-level prospect in return. before JVR became a monster in the playoffs, I thought that would have been a pretty decent swap for both sides. Basically, i'm looking at someone who can step into 2nd line (or talented 3rd line) now, and develop into a 1st line player. this might not be the best summer for it, as there are a glut of UFA goalies on the market. If that's the case, as mentioned, we use him and see if someone raises the price at the deadline.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep Luongo, as he's signed to a $5.3 m cap hit forever, and to me he's a proven elite goalie. Others (you included) may disagree about his 'clutchiness', but I think he's overall a very steady presence back there.
Lou has a NTC (there are certain out-clauses along the way), but if the planets lined up where a trade happened, I'd be sad about it, but comfortable in a Schneider / Lack combo.

The Habs got Lars Eller for Halak. He had a less than steller season in Montreal. Colorado is definately going to be in the market for a goalie. They have the two 1st round picks. I doubt they would give up the 11th pick for Schneider, & Joey Hishon just suffered a consussion during the Memorial Cup. What other teams do you think could be interested in Schneider?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
The Habs got Lars Eller for Halak. He had a less than steller season in Montreal. Colorado is definately going to be in the market for a goalie. They have the two 1st round picks. I doubt they would give up the 11th pick for Schneider, & Joey Hishon just suffered a consussion during the Memorial Cup. What other teams do you think could be interested in Schneider?

oops. added the paragraph about the Ducks while you were replying.
I don't think it would make sense for a team that's a long ways away (Colorado) to give up alot of assets for a goalie. presumably they have some they are developing too.

that's why Philly made sense, they have a glut of offensive talent, and shit for goalies. but with JVR stepping up, there is a kind of a gap in suitable trade fodder for them now.

I look at this list for teams that could use a boost in goalies 2010-11 NHL Hockey Stats and League Leaders - Scoring - National Hockey League - ESPN
and there's not a lot that jump out as good-except-for-goalie. Ironically, Philly's goaltending was average during the season, just shit the bed in the playoffs.
maybe Jersey, depending on what Brodeur's plans are? (one more year as a transition would make sense). I don't know their system behind him very well. Frazee was an awfully good Jr player, but seemed to have faded a bit.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oops. added the paragraph about the Ducks while you were replying.
I don't think it would make sense for a team that's a long ways away (Colorado) to give up alot of assets for a goalie. presumably they have some they are developing too.

that's why Philly made sense, they have a glut of offensive talent, and shit for goalies. but with JVR stepping up, there is a kind of a gap in suitable trade fodder for them now.

I look at this list for teams that could use a boost in goalies 2010-11 NHL Hockey Stats and League Leaders - Scoring - National Hockey League - ESPN
and there's not a lot that jump out as good-except-for-goalie. Ironically, Philly's goaltending was average during the season, just shit the bed in the playoffs.
maybe Jersey, depending on what Brodeur's plans are? (one more year as a transition would make sense). I don't know their system behind him very well. Frazee was an awfully good Jr player, but seemed to have faded a bit.

NJ has a kid named Clermont who looks like he's going to be a good one.

The Ducks are interesting. They've made a few deals involving goalies the past two years. I don't know much about vertigo. I think it has something to do with a persons equilibrium. I could be wrong.

Anyway they have a solid group of prospects to choose from.

Sorry, but Fowler is out.:D: & D Jake Gardiner was traded to Toronto in the Beauchemin deal.

D Luca Sbisa already on the team.
RW Kyle Palmieri 1st rounder in 09 Grit & skill a good combo.\
C Peter Holland 1st rounder in 09 Good skater with a powerful shot.
RW Emerson Etem 1st rounder in 10 Had a very good year. So Cal native though. He's be tough for them to let go.
C Nic Dechamps This guy has the skill to be really good. He just needs to stay healthy. He was actually called up, but didn't play in the playoffs.

The only goalie of note in the Ducks system is Igor Bobkov & he was disappointing in the World Jr's for Russia.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
NJ has a kid named Clermont who looks like he's going to be a good one.

The Ducks are interesting. They've made a few deals involving goalies the past two years. I don't know much about vertigo. I think it has something to do with a persons equilibrium. I could be wrong.

Anyway they have a solid group of prospects to choose from.

Sorry, but Fowler is out.:D: & D Jake Gardiner was traded to Toronto in the Beauchemin deal.

D Luca Sbisa already on the team.
RW Kyle Palmieri 1st rounder in 09 Grit & skill a good combo.\
C Peter Holland 1st rounder in 09 Good skater with a powerful shot.
RW Emerson Etem 1st rounder in 10 Had a very good year. So Cal native though. He's be tough for them to let go.
C Nic Dechamps This guy has the skill to be really good. He just needs to stay healthy. He was actually called up, but didn't play in the playoffs.

The only goalie of note in the Ducks system is Igor Bobkov & he was disappointing in the World Jr's for Russia.

yeah, vertigo is weird... it either goes away or it doesn't. Not much of an exact science on why it comes or where and when it goes. that what turned David Duval from shooting 59's to 95's (well, 80's anyway).

Etem might do :) I forgot about him. Still surprised he sank to 29th.
bonus... Then Dash would have to be a Canucks fan

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, vertigo is weird... it either goes away or it doesn't. Not much of an exact science on why it comes or where and when it goes. that what turned David Duval from shooting 59's to 95's (well, 80's anyway).

Yeah the Ducks lucked out last year. Fowler & Etem in the 1st round. It reminded me of the year they got Getzlaf & Perry in Round 1 in 2003.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol...I'm still cheering for a Boston - Vancouver final, but if that happens, who do I cheer for then? Maybe the New Westminster Bruins?!?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3