• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Watkins Martin - KiperMcShay

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is doing a live mock. McShay is drafting the odds, Kiper the evens.

Kiper drafted Watkins for us with the 2nd pick. McShay then said the "risk paid off and a tackle is still on the board" and proceeded to draft Zac Martin for us at 13. I will throw up if that happens in real life. What's your thoughts?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know how good Martin is. Is he an elite player at his position? Or are you taking him as a NEED? If it's a need and If Martin is there at 13, the question if he is not elite is: can you get a comparable OT in the 2nd round and take a safety at #13??

But that is the exact scenario I have wanted from day 1. SWatkins and an OT at 13

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kiper has drafted 5 WRs so far thru 28 :L. He had the Lions taking WR Odell Beckham, but will
End up with CB Dennard at #10.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the worse draft ever, its making me sick.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know how good Martin is. Is he an elite player at his position? Or are you taking him as a NEED?
Need. Kiper actually took Pryor btw but it was McShay's pick and he reached past Moses and took Martin because 'he could step in right away'

Anyone else think Fuller or Verrett is in play at 13?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am really confused as to why these supposed experts are reaching to draft for (supposed) need instead of value. Rams need a LG for sure, but they're picking OTs to play OG (or to back up Long, should he not be ready for week 1). Draft an OG in the second or 3rd round where the value is more appropriate.

As far as CBs in play at 13, I really like Verrett. However, instead of reaching a little, a trade down might be the better move, if that's who they're looking at there.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuller or Verrett at #13?? TOO EARLY!! We will have our choice of Dix,Pryor,Gilbert or Dennard at #13. Fuller and Verrett are late first - early second round options. If the Rams choose one of those 2 over the 4 I listed, I will be pissed...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuller or Verrett at #13?? TOO EARLY!! We will have our choice of Dix,Pryor,Gilbert or Dennard at #13. Fuller and Verrett are late first - early second round options. If the Rams choose one of those 2 over the 4 I listed, I will be pissed...

We're all basing these value judgements on mock drafts though. Each team will value these guys in different orders for different rounds. Maybe the Rams have Fuller or Verrett rated above Gilbert and Dennard; the risk is seeing how long you can wait and still get your guy.

jacobarch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think a lot of these mock drafts these "analysis" have are hilarious! I was listening to Sirius NFL radio and I was laughing (but a pissed off laugh) at their mock drafts. Not even at the Rams picks but at their opinions of where people will be drafted at. I felt like calling in and saying you guys are nuts. They have all of these WR's/OT's/DE's/OG/CB's going in the first round. I felt like saying there are only 32 teams picking in the first round not 64. You can't sit here and say every one of these guys are going to get drafted in the top 10 or 20. It's just ludicrous! I understand people are bored right now and they are looking for things to talk about but at least have an intelligent conversation.

I guess at the end of the it's the reason why they're on an entertainment show and not a GM on a NFL team.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're all basing these value judgements on mock drafts though. Each team will value these guys in different orders for different rounds. Maybe the Rams have Fuller or Verrett rated above Gilbert and Dennard; the risk is seeing how long you can wait and still get your guy.
I agree. It looks like the top 4 or 5 prospects will be set in stone in this draft but all of the draft gurus are all over the place on the next 30 or so.

Fuller is also the only CB that looks like be can play zone, pressure or straight man. Or at least thats what someone said on the McShayKiper segment. FS, CB and G all have to be addressed somewhere.

I do think McShay and Kiper are nuts for passing on Clinton Dix. FS is a huge need and Clinton Dix passes the eye test as a Dashon Goldson, Eric Reid or Mark Barron. I was watching his draft breakdown footage against Oklahoma expecting him to get torched and Clinton Dix actually played fairly well. FS might not be a sexy pick but thats what the #2 overall pick is for.

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin is a Guard long term, I'd rather get a future tackle.

I like Fuller a lot. In my collaborative mock I traded back twice and took him at 22.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched the Path to the Draft on the NFL Network and they had us taking Robinson at 2 (no surprise) and for the 13th pick, had us taking Manziel. I understand the need for a QB but in my opinion, the Rams have other needs they need to address before taking a QB.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think the smart move is to take a OT, Robinson (my pick) but Mathews is fine also. I really think though a trade will happen and still get the OT we want.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, If Dix (cause I think most teams like him better then Pyror, but I'm okay with Pyror too if the Rams think he's the better player) is there isn't the pick I'll be upset. If Dennard is also on the board and they take him instead I'd still rather the safeties but at least he's the top CB on the board. I think we get into Fuller Verrett possibilities if we trade from 13 to like 25 (i.e. the Browns trade us their #26 overall and future first and maybe a 3rd and come up to get Johnny/Blake if one/both is/are left at 13)

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trouble with drafting Watkins is that I don't know if this offensive group will know how to use his skills. Have they shown the ability to properly utilize any WR they've taken recently?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the QB has to step up and be a big boy to work with a WR to get him the ball.

Look at the good QBs in the NFL. That's what they do.

It's not all on the coaching scheme. QBs can find a way to get it done if they really want to. Or if they have the brains to.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trouble with drafting Watkins is that I don't know if this offensive group will know how to use his skills. Have they shown the ability to properly utilize any WR they've taken recently?

You also have to take into account that most WRs need a year or more to adapt to the speed and route trees of the NFL. Sure, there are always a few that surprise and pay dividends right away, but that is the exception more than the rule. I would guess that those that do break out sooner are typically deep threats (not as many responsibilities), but that is just a guess.

That said, there's no guarantee that any WR in this draft is going to step in and put up 80 catches, 1000 yards, or 10 TDs right away either, including Watkins.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I could bring up my post from last year saying we shouldn't touch Austin so that we can draft Watkins this year...

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You probably can say that icefreeze but it was then. Could have had a line and Jeffreys too. It is 2014, fix it how.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying Watkins is the player we should draft @ #2! The only reason we are doubting it is because we took Austin last season. If we're not taking Watkins I think we should grab Mack. I don't think we should consider the OT @ #2, especially if its Robinson and we're planning on playing him at OG, because "everyone knows he'll be able to do that"