• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Watkins Martin - KiperMcShay

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying Watkins is the player we should draft @ #2! The only reason we are doubting it is because we took Austin last season. If we're not taking Watkins I think we should grab Mack. I don't think we should consider the OT @ #2, especially if its Robinson and we're planning on playing him at OG, because "everyone knows he'll be able to do that"

I don't see why Austin should play into the decision at all; they play different positions essentially. The Rams drafted Ogletree in the first last year, does that mean they can't take another LB early this year?

Talent is talent. Take the most talented player on your board possible.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why Austin should play into the decision at all; they play different positions essentially. The Rams drafted Ogletree in the first last year, does that mean they can't take another LB early this year?

Talent is talent. Take the most talented player on your board possible.

I only bring up Austin because it seems that the main reason people aren't into Watkins is because we have Austin and just drafted one.

I would make the Argument that if we draft Mack (because you are saying we took a WR and a LB last year) is that we "need" another starting LB more than we "need" another WR, and Mack and Olgetree can be on the field at the same time. But again, I'm for drafting Watkins at #2, if we go another way I much rather see the LB being drafted before the OT. Drafting an OT sends Barksdale to the bench, while drafting Mack or Watkins send Dunbar to the bench, and Watkins is different because we don't have established starters at WR and it rotates much more then Oline, which hardly ever rotates. Watkins makes plays for us, Day One!

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the QB has to step up and be a big boy to work with a WR to get him the ball.

Look at the good QBs in the NFL. That's what they do.

It's not all on the coaching scheme. QBs can find a way to get it done if they really want to. Or if they have the brains to.

It's not all on Bradford but somehow I knew you would go that route. The have one guy (Quick) who is big and can jump and he can't even see the field. At the very least they should be able to find a way to make him a red zone target. Another guy (Givens) was pretty good in his first year but clearly regressed last year and Austin had one game (Indy) in which he did what many of us were expecting. At some point you have to design some plays to take advantage of each players abilities. They can't or don't seem capable of doing just that.

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have to take into account that most WRs need a year or more to adapt to the speed and route trees of the NFL. Sure, there are always a few that surprise and pay dividends right away, but that is the exception more than the rule. I would guess that those that do break out sooner are typically deep threats (not as many responsibilities), but that is just a guess.

That said, there's no guarantee that any WR in this draft is going to step in and put up 80 catches, 1000 yards, or 10 TDs right away either, including Watkins.

I agree but I doubt ANY of the current Rams WR's will put up 80, 1000, 10 TD type seasons because the coaching staff lacks creativity on offense.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but I doubt ANY of the current Rams WR's will put up 80, 1000, 10 TD type seasons because the coaching staff lacks creativity on offense.

That's a part of it as well, but also that we have a bunch of decent WRs and no real go-to type, so the production that is there to take gets spread around. Austin is a great weapon, but he's not the guy you're going to look for to make the tough catch on 3rd and long to keep a drive going.

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rams take Robinson first. At 13 I have no idea. I don't think Rams will take a WR at 13. WR is really deep. Also Givens had a bum ankle last season that's why he stunk. I think he'll be back strong. So no need for a WR at 13. I'm guessing probably a CB or Safety. Calvin Pryor or Justin Gilbert.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:Chili where wa been? We will get a good player at #2. Robinson, Mathews, Watkins or Mack all are keepers. I want the OT but can see all sides. Also agree that #13 is FS or CB. 2 studs:nod:

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:Chili where wa been? We will get a good player at #2. Robinson, Mathews, Watkins or Mack all are keepers. I want the OT but can see all sides. Also agree that #13 is FS or CB. 2 studs:nod:

:agree: Would like to see a safety at 13.

LTR1961

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a part of it as well, but also that we have a bunch of decent WRs and no real go-to type, so the production that is there to take gets spread around. Austin is a great weapon, but he's not the guy you're going to look for to make the tough catch on 3rd and long to keep a drive going.

You are correct on Austin and he's not an every down player but.....They need to design a handful of plays a game to take advantage of his speed and elusiveness. He could be a 25-30 play a game WR who makes a big impact.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rams take Robinson first. At 13 I have no idea. I don't think Rams will take a WR at 13. WR is really deep. Also Givens had a bum ankle last season that's why he stunk. I think he'll be back strong. So no need for a WR at 13. I'm guessing probably a CB or Safety. Calvin Pryor or Justin Gilbert.

If the Rams don't draft Watkins at #2, I agree that they shouldn't look WR at #13. If they don't take the #1 WR in the draft (Watkins), I don't think any of the other 1st round WRs (other than maybe Evans) is going to be that go-to #1 type. I actually think some of the 2nd-3rd round guys (like Moncrief or Robinson) are better fits for that role than guys like Beckham, Cooks, Lee, Benjamin etc.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct on Austin and he's not an every down player but.....They need to design a handful of plays a game to take advantage of his speed and elusiveness. He could be a 25-30 play a game WR who makes a big impact.

Agree completely, and I was definitely on board with moving up to get him last year. The more threat there is in the running game and the WR on the outside, the more space for Austin to work in.