• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Watched the Denver game again.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were up 21-7 at the half.
The 2nd half they just screened us to death. No open field tackling at all. Bubble screens and half back screens and we could not make a tackle.

Obviously they could not do that against Seattle as even their interior defensive lineman were making plays against the screen pass, and we are not in the same class defensively. But we need to upgrade open field tackling badly.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were up 21-7 at the half.
The 2nd half they just screened us to death. No open field tackling at all. Bubble screens and half back screens and we could not make a tackle.

Obviously they could not do that against Seattle as even their interior defensive lineman were making plays against the screen pass, and we are not in the same class defensively. But we need to upgrade open field tackling badly.

:agree: this is where the coaching has to step in

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with coaching is the CBA has really limited contact during all phases of practice. So it is really hard to coach tackling if you can't have the guy actually hit someone. This is why a Rambo dropped so far. He couldn't tackle in college and he couldn't tackle last year. While one can work on form on a practice dummy, that is no replacement for live tackling against a 220lb running back with 4.5 speed. Finally, a lot of being a good tackler is wanting to be a good tackler. It comes down to wanting to hit someone harder than they hit you. This is also hard to coach. In the future, we should really stay away from anyone that has question marks around their ability to bring a ball carrier down.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at this game live. While the 1st half seemed to be a bit of an abbreviation, the 2nd half we came back down to earth and played like we usually play. I couldn't believe how many screens worked to perfection against us or short crossing routes which told me (2) things:

1. Our LB play was flat out awful which included Riley trying to cover a back out of the backfield.
2. Our scheme was also to blame which put us in vulnerable situations most of the 2nd half.

Hopefully this will improve with Haslett's so called "change in system".

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the time we have to spend in pads must be used to teach and refine and practice tackling

it can be done

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the time we have to spend in pads must be used to teach and refine and practice tackling

it can be done

Oh it can be done, the problem is at this level they shouldn't have to devote precious time teaching fundamentals you should have learned in HS. For every hour they spend teaching tackling, that's one hour that is not devoted to learning the scheme or how to read an NFL offense.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh it can be done, the problem is at this level they shouldn't have to devote precious time teaching fundamentals you should have learned in HS. For every hour they spend teaching tackling, that's one hour that is not devoted to learning the scheme or how to read an NFL offense.

busniess routinely have to re-educate their employees because they cant read or write properly or perform basic math skills

perhaps NFL teams have to go over tackling fundamentals

learning a defensive scheme is good and needed but it means nothing if you cant execute a simple tackle

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you ever stop teaching fundamentals in football, even in the pros. People watch games and get caught up in what play is called while fundatmentals is often the case for mistakes. Leverage, angles, position and footwork. All so important in football. The Redskins were terrible at pursuit angles and that is something that HAS to improve. In all my years around football I never saw many players that were poor tacklers all the sudden learn to tackle after they hit the professional level. Repitition helps for sure.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you ever stop teaching fundamentals in football, even in the pros. People watch games and get caught up in what play is called while fundatmentals is often the case for mistakes. Leverage, angles, position and footwork. All so important in football. The Redskins were terrible at pursuit angles and that is something that HAS to improve. In all my years around football I never saw many players that were poor tacklers all the sudden learn to tackle after they hit the professional level. Repitition helps for sure.

That's my concern. If he hasn't learned how to tackle at this point (and every coach he has ever had at every level has tried to teach him) he probably will never become a good tackler. Thats not a good trait for your last line of defense at safety.

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at this game live. While the 1st half seemed to be a bit of an abbreviation, the 2nd half we came back down to earth and played like we usually play. I couldn't believe how many screens worked to perfection against us or short crossing routes which told me (2) things:

1. Our LB play was flat out awful which included Riley trying to cover a back out of the backfield.
2. Our scheme was also to blame which put us in vulnerable situations most of the 2nd half.

Hopefully this will improve with Haslett's so called "change in system".

I agree with those two things S2W. We need to upgrade at linebacker and Haslett needs to step it up.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my concern. If he hasn't learned how to tackle at this point (and every coach he has ever had at every level has tried to teach him) he probably will never become a good tackler. Thats not a good trait for your last line of defense at safety.

at the end of last year he was tackling much better