• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Was This The Worst Draft in NFL History?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not the only who thinks JG's is limited to the middle of the field, at about 8 to 10 yards. You've watched him for 4 out of 5 years, where does he throw 95% of the time? Don't count WR screens and outlet passes, but when he's trying to throw "downfield", where does he throw? I already posted a quote from someone else - maybe on another thread - but he said the same thing.

I was watching some analysis on Youtube breaking down JG, and his footwork is bad. I was watching Youtube on Lance, granted limited sample size, and his footwork was better. Lance DOES show "jittery" feet as expected from someone playing his second game, but not something he can't fix. With more playing time, it'll automatically fix itself.
I think that is probably true about the middle of the field but the 8-10 yard thing I'm not so sure. The only thing the haters cannot come up with a reasonable explanation for though is the record with Garoppolo and the record without Garoppolo. It comes back to that and it is undeniable.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What could have been...
There we were, sitting in rd 2 with all the CBs and S gone. Well, we did need an OG and our center is in his last couple of years. So, at #48 we took OG Aaron Banks. 13 more picks went by and then TWO centers who could also play OG were taken back to back. GB took Josh Myers (Ohio State) at #62 and the Chiefs took Creed Murphy (Oklahoma) at #63.

--Both Myers and Murphy were the day 1 starters at Center for their teams.
--Myers had a season ending injury in Week 6 and was put on IR.
--Murphy has started every game.
--Aaron Banks has zero starts and hasn’t really contributed.
--Myers graded out about as well as Brunskil has, a PFF 61 and change.
--Humphrey has graded out this season as the best Center in the NFL.
--Aaron Banks had zero starts. Was often a healthy scratch. And stunk when he did play.

That decision could easily go down in history with some of the true either/or Niner disasters.
--Smith over Rodgers really stands out
--passing on V.Wilfork to trade down for WR R.Woods even though we badly needed a NT for our ¾ defense we intended to run
--the trade down, trade up, fix-it-in-FA domino failure that was A.Kamara/J.Williams/J.McKinnon
--the 2011 drafting of WR R.Johnson over WR D.Baldwin. Harbaugh wanted Baldwin, but John Morton, Johnson’s college OC and WR coach reportedly pounded the table and demanded that GM Baalke take Johnson, and we did. Johnson didn’t make the team or even the PS. Baldwin was Seattle’s leading WR and a giant pain the Niner's ass.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What could have been...
There we were, sitting in rd 2 with all the CBs and S gone. Well, we did need an OG and our center is in his last couple of years. So, at #48 we took OG Aaron Banks. 13 more picks went by and then TWO centers who could also play OG were taken back to back. GB took Josh Myers (Ohio State) at #62 and the Chiefs took Creed Murphy (Oklahoma) at #63.

--Aaron Banks had zero starts. Was often a healthy scratch. And stunk when he did play.

That decision could easily go down in history with some of the true either/or Niner disasters.
--passing on V.Wilfork to trade down for WR R.Woods even though we badly needed a NT for our ¾ defense we intended to run
--the trade down, trade up, fix-it-in-FA domino failure that was A.Kamara/J.Williams/J.McKinnon
--the 2011 drafting of WR R.Johnson over WR D.Baldwin. Harbaugh wanted Baldwin, but John Morton, Johnson’s college OC and WR coach reportedly pounded the table and demanded that GM Baalke take Johnson, and we did. Johnson didn’t make the team or even the PS. Baldwin was Seattle’s leading WR and a giant pain the Niner's ass.
Wasn't there another first round Guard from Stanford that never played? Garnett or something.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't there another first round Guard from Stanford that never played? Garnett or something.
I think that's his name. He played here for a year or 2 and then someplace else for another year or 2.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think that is probably true about the middle of the field but the 8-10 yard thing I'm not so sure. The only thing the haters cannot come up with a reasonable explanation for though is the record with Garoppolo and the record without Garoppolo. It comes back to that and it is undeniable.
Again, i'm not a JG hater, i backed him up every single year including this one. But after reviewing this season, facts are facts, he was inconsistent and that inconsistency put us in this situation. No QB is good every single game, but he didn't play well in enough of them.

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What could have been...

YEP, i felt we should've gone CB in Round 2 and if no value, a future Center. A future Center who could fill at RG while he learns the line calls. I thought Creed Humphrey might've been available and Josh Meyers would've been fine too.

This next draft i think it'll be similar, CB if value is there and if not, a future C who can fill in at RG.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, i'm not a JG hater, i backed him up every single year including this one. But after reviewing this season, facts are facts, he was inconsistent and that inconsistency put us in this situation. No QB is good every single game, but he didn't play well in too many.
Didn't mean to imply in my post that you were, but you are one who never acknowledges or can explain away the difference between the 49ers with Garoppolo and the 49ers without Garoppolo. You just conveniently ignore that fact. But I'll post it for you here and see if you have a response:

"They have a 32-13 record (including playoffs) with him as the starter, while going 6-25 in all other games under Shanahan without him as the starter."

The floor is yours:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Didn't mean to imply in my post that you were, but you are one who never acknowledges or can explain away the difference between the 49ers with Garoppolo and the 49ers without Garoppolo. You just conveniently ignore that fact. But I'll post it for you here and see if you have a response:

"They have a 32-13 record (including playoffs) with him as the starter, while going 6-25 in all other games under Shanahan without him as the starter."

The floor is yours:
The discussion is JG's performance this season, we got to this topic because we're on the edge for the play-offs.

JG's winning record is a whole another matter for a separate thread. Where in this thread did i say JG's 49er CAREER is inconsistent?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The discussion is JG's performance this season, we got to this topic because we're on the edge for the play-offs.

JG's winning record is a whole another matter for a separate thread. Where in this thread did i say JG's 49er CAREER is inconsistent?
You mentioned his struggles in 4 of the past seasons and many, many more times

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You mentioned his struggles in 4 of the past seasons and many, many more times
Cite the post numbers and if i said this, i will just say 'my bad'. If you don't cite it, then your bad.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cite the post numbers and if i said this, i will just say 'my bad'. If you don't cite it, then your bad.
Post #20 and I notice you have not responded to the question as to why the 49ers have an outstanding record with Garoppolo and a horrendous record without him. I'll stand by.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are you kidding me?! I said cite the post where i said JG is winning consistently over his 49er career? You cite a post on where he throws 95% of his passes down the middle. Do you understand the difference?

Your bad.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Post #20 and I notice you have not responded to the question as to why the 49ers have an outstanding record with Garoppolo and a horrendous record without him. I'll stand by.
I don't need to respond to JG's record because i never said he had a 'horrendous' record. How do you come up with these things, mixing things up or stretching one topic to include others?!

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't need to respond to JG's record because i never said he had a 'horrendous' record. How do you come up with these things, mixing things up or stretching one topic to include others?!
Good god. Learn to read. I said they had a horrendous record without Garoppolo

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Montalban
It's like almost every draft year, we spend an early rounder on someone who is a failure almost from day 1. S.Thomas, the trades up for Beathard and Joe Williams. The next year's trade up for Pettis, the following year's pick of Hurd. And this year, Banks appears to be on a Woods/Jenkins career trajectory.

Still, it's not all bad for Lynch and Shanny. Some of the bad moves have been balanced against or saved by others--i.e., not Baalke bad.
--The 2017 draft was historically bad, but landed a 5th rd All Pro in Kittle and a good run stopper in DJ Jones.
--The 2018 draft was bad, but we got a Pro Bowl LB in Warner, an ok RT in McGlinchey
--The 2019 draft really hit the jackpot with Pro Bowl players like Bosa, Deebo, and Greenlaw,
--The bad trade for Ford, but a good one a year later for Trent Williams.
--The 2018 bad 2nd rd choice of Dante Pettis balanced against the 2019 2nd rd choice of Deebo.
--The bad 2021 3rd rd choice of RB T.Sermon canceled out by the 6th rd success of RB E.Mitchell.

It makes me wonder if the FO has a problem in scouting or if they're swinging for the fence too much and that is causing too many strike outs. Or if Shanny the GM is getting in the way of Shanny the HC.
If you are just beating out Baalke I'm not sure that is much to brag about.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are just beating out Baalke I'm not sure that is much to brag about.
So far, the current Niner FO has drafted more pro bowlers and quality contributors than Baalke did. Like you said, that isn't a high bar to get over, but after 4 or 5 years, drafting 4 or 5 pro bowl players is a pretty good record. The future of Shanny and Lynchg will really come down to the trade up for Trey Lance.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One diamond in the rough was Mitchell. He rushed for 965 yards in only 11 games this year. Had he continued this pretty close to 90 yards per game average in those games in the other 6 he missed due to injury he'd have had 1,500 yards rushing. That's pretty good.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far, the current Niner FO has drafted more pro bowlers and quality contributors than Baalke did. Like you said, that isn't a high bar to get over, but after 4 or 5 years, drafting 4 or 5 pro bowl players is a pretty good record. The future of Shanny and Lynchg will really come down to the trade up for Trey Lance.
The issue I have with them is the misses at the top. Thomas, Foster, McGlinchey(so far not what was expected), Kinlaw has been okay not outstanding, Pettis was a bust. I feel like they have missed at the top of the draft as much as they have picked well. Hopefully Trey Lance can buck the trend. Right now Bosa (he was basically a can't miss guy) and Aiyuk is the only ones that seems like he may not be busts or not live up to the 1st round status.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The issue I have with them is the misses at the top. Thomas, Foster, McGlinchey(so far not what was expected), Kinlaw has been okay not outstanding, Pettis was a bust. I feel like they have missed at the top of the draft as much as they have picked well. Hopefully Trey Lance can buck the trend. Right now Bosa (he was basically a can't miss guy) and Aiyuk is the only ones that seems like he may not be busts or not live up to the 1st round status.
Yes, while no draft class is perfect, they've missed too many at the top. How can you miss on a #3 overall (Solomon Thomas)? Also, weren't some of these misses trade ups such as Reuben Foster and CJ Beathard?

When you miss too many at the top, it catches up to you. Next off-season it will catch up because we'll need to sign FA's (some our own) and won't have 1st round picks. For example, because Dante Pettis didn't pan out we had to draft another WR in Aiyuk. Whereas that pick might've went to solidify another spot, say OT?