• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Was This The Worst Draft in NFL History?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First 3 draft picks don’t even see the field, the 4th has no business being in an NFL uniform and the 5th only sees the field because of so many injuries at Corner

Never seen anything like it

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw an article yesterday where Lynch was saying about Ambrey Thomas that “we have found our Corner of the future”. Can he possibly be that clueless? He looks like a child playing against men out there

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I saw an article yesterday where Lynch was saying about Ambrey Thomas that “we have found our Corner of the future”. Can he possibly be that clueless? He looks like a child playing against men out there
Yes, Lynch went too far with that.

I'm not propping up Thomas because yes, he hasn't played well to date. But you have to give him some rope because he didn't play his last college season, and he hasn't been playing all this season. Lynch said he's putting himself in good position and if so, i agree this is what he should be working on now. Today he should've gotten a pick because he was in position.

Similar to Lance, just keep improving with game experience and we'll see? But he's not a bust yet.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not propping up Thomas because yes, he hasn't played well to date. But you have to give him some rope because he didn't play his last college season, and he hasn't been playing all this season. Lynch said he's putting himself in good position and if so, i agree this is what he should be working on now. Today he should've gotten a pick because he was in position.

Similar to Lance, just keep improving with game experience and we'll see? But he's not a bust yet.
Well, other than the big PI today he did OK

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Montalban
It's like almost every draft year, we spend an early rounder on someone who is a failure almost from day 1. S.Thomas, the trades up for Beathard and Joe Williams. The next year's trade up for Pettis, the following year's pick of Hurd. And this year, Banks appears to be on a Woods/Jenkins career trajectory.

Still, it's not all bad for Lynch and Shanny. Some of the bad moves have been balanced against or saved by others--i.e., not Baalke bad.
--The 2017 draft was historically bad, but landed a 5th rd All Pro in Kittle and a good run stopper in DJ Jones.
--The 2018 draft was bad, but we got a Pro Bowl LB in Warner, an ok RT in McGlinchey
--The 2019 draft really hit the jackpot with Pro Bowl players like Bosa, Deebo, and Greenlaw,
--The bad trade for Ford, but a good one a year later for Trent Williams.
--The 2018 bad 2nd rd choice of Dante Pettis balanced against the 2019 2nd rd choice of Deebo.
--The bad 2021 3rd rd choice of RB T.Sermon canceled out by the 6th rd success of RB E.Mitchell.

It makes me wonder if the FO has a problem in scouting or if they're swinging for the fence too much and that is causing too many strike outs. Or if Shanny the GM is getting in the way of Shanny the HC.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most rookie CBs tend to struggle for a year so. The college game allows more clutching and grabbing and the athletes aren't as good and the offenses aren't as complex.

Thomas is better now that he was early in the year (it'd be hard not to). He has been in better position lately, even when giving up catches. We've gotta hope for some development and growth from him after his experiences this year and a good offseason program. I don't have the "lost cause" feeling about him that I've got about Banks and Sermon.

Then again, what do I know? I thought bringing in Norman was a very good move and that he was playing pretty well until I saw the stats that he not only led the team in total penalties, he's among the league leaders in DPI calls.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
@Montalban
It's like almost every draft year, we spend an early rounder on someone who is a failure almost from day 1. S.Thomas, the trades up for Beathard and Joe Williams. The next year's trade up for Pettis, the following year's pick of Hurd. And this year, Banks appears to be on a Woods/Jenkins career trajectory.

Still, it's not all bad for Lynch and Shanny. Some of the bad moves have been balanced against or saved by others--i.e., not Baalke bad.
--The 2017 draft was historically bad, but landed a 5th rd All Pro in Kittle and a good run stopper in DJ Jones.
--The 2018 draft was bad, but we got a Pro Bowl LB in Warner, an ok RT in McGlinchey
--The 2019 draft really hit the jackpot with Pro Bowl players like Bosa, Deebo, and Greenlaw,
--The 2018 bad 2nd rd choice of Dante Pettis balanced against the 2019 2nd rd choice of Deebo.
--The bad 2021 3rd rd choice of RB T.Sermon canceled out by the 6th rd success of RB E.Mitchell.

It makes me wonder if the FO has a problem in scouting or if they're swinging for the fence too much and that is causing too many strike outs. Or if Shanny the GM is getting in the way of Shanny the HC.
I tend to think they're swinging for the fences, not in a huge way until Trey Lance, but same idea. They traded up for Foster, CJ Beathard and Dante Pettis. For me, rounds 1 to 3 are the higher rounds that should produce at a higher rate.

Yes, i feel Shannahan was giving too much weight to whom we draft, ie GM in the way of HC. He DOES need to input on prospects, but he should back off on draft day. Earlier it seemed like he was pushing too hard so Lynch would trade up.

They did draft some later round gems but that doesn't "excuse" them from missing on higher picks. Not every single pick will pan out, but their miss rate is too high. When your drafts are poor, you then need FAs to fill holes, and free agency then pressures the cap.

I'm not quite ready to call this last draft a bust, we'll see next season on Lance, Banks, Sermon, and Thomas?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Montalban

Yeah, I forgot about Pettis and Hurd although I did think Hurd was a good pick considering the skill set he brought to bear but injuries just killed him. They do seem to do well in the lower rounds but badly in the higher rounds. 2017 was the worst with Foster and Thomas. One of the funniest lines I heard an announcer make was in 2019 against the Rams, Thomas actually made a sack and the announcers said "That's the first time I've ever seen him make a play." It was so true and it cracked me up.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most rookie CBs tend to struggle for a year so. The college game allows more clutching and grabbing and the athletes aren't as good and the offenses aren't as complex.

Thomas is better now that he was early in the year (it'd be hard not to). He has been in better position lately, even when giving up catches. We've gotta hope for some development and growth from him after his experiences this year and a good offseason program. I don't have the "lost cause" feeling about him that I've got about Banks and Sermon.

Then again, what do I know? I thought bringing in Norman was a very good move and that he was playing pretty well until I saw the stats that he not only led the team in total penalties, he's among the league leaders in DPI calls.
That's true. I remember we used to say about Eric Davis "If you want to find Davis on the field just look for the guy trailing the receiver who has the ball by 5 yards" He was horrendous but after a few years he was known as a top Corner

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, I forgot about Pettis and Hurd although I did think Hurd was a good pick considering the skill set he brought to bear but injuries just killed him. They do seem to do well in the lower rounds but badly in the higher rounds. 2017 was the worst with Foster and Thomas. One of the funniest lines I heard an announcer make was in 2019 against the Rams, Thomas actually made a sack and the announcers said "That's the first time I've ever seen him make a play." It was so true and it cracked me up.
I really feel Hurd would've done well had he been healthy. Too bad we'll never know, a totally wasted pick. I don't recall if he was injured prior to the draft or after joining the 49ers?

Solomon was obviously a HUGE miss, how do you totally miss on a #3 overall pick?

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really feel Hurd would've done well had he been healthy. Too bad we'll never know, a totally wasted pick. I don't recall if he was injured prior to the draft or after joining the 49ers?

Solomon was obviously a HUGE miss, how do you totally miss on a #3 overall pick?
I liked the fact that he was a 1,000 yard rusher at Tennessee and then a 1,000 yard receiver at Baylor.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This photo shows why Lance will struggle. Look at that windup, Telegraph city

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't usually invade team boards. But this headline caught my attention as a Lions fan. Matt Millen once had a draft that within 2 years there wasn't a single player left on the team and I think only one or two of the 9 or 10 picks was even still in the league. When you want to talk about worst in NFL history Millen set a pretty high bar.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't usually invade team boards. But this headline caught my attention as a Lions fan. Matt Millen once had a draft that within 2 years there wasn't a single player left on the team and I think only one or two of the 9 or 10 picks was even still in the league. When you want to talk about worst in NFL history Millen set a pretty high bar.
An ex-49er

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

This photo shows why Lance will struggle. Look at that windup, Telegraph city
Its not his wind-up thats a tell, its where he looks JUST after the snap, or just as he hits his last step. He doesn't give this tell every single time so its not a bad habit to overcome. With more game reps, this 'automatically' gets corrected.

There is a low wind-up but he can wing it better than JG, that 'wing it' allows him to throw it further downfield, to the sidelines, and it tighter gaps in the middle.. So far, the low throw hasn't been batted down, we'll see how this goes? His footwork is better than JG's, in fact most QB's have better footwork than JG.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not his wind-up thats a tell, its where he looks JUST after the snap, or just as he hits his last step. He doesn't give this tell every single time so its not a bad habit to overcome. With more game reps, this 'automatically' gets corrected.

There is a low wind-up but he can wing it better than JG, that 'wing it' allows him to throw it further downfield, to the sidelines, and it tighter gaps in the middle.. So far, the low throw hasn't been batted down, we'll see how this goes? His footwork is better than JG's, in fact most QB's have better footwork than JG.
The difference in the release is striking. Garoppolo’s is quick and looks professional lance’s looks like an athlete trying to play QB and get by with athleticism rather than good fundamentals. That concerns me. He can be dynamic, I’ll give you that but can he do these things consistently without the necessary fundamentals

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The difference in the release is striking. Garoppolo’s is quick and looks professional lance’s looks like an athlete trying to play QB and get by with athleticism rather than good fundamentals. That concerns me. He can be dynamic, I’ll give you that but can he do these things consistently without the necessary fundamentals
JG does throw it quick but as a 5th year QB with Shanahan, he should. JG's footwork is horrible and likely why he has the occassional errant throw, leading to INTs. He is very limited in where he can throw and hence the mega-deal. I think JG's limitation doesn't allow Shanahan to counterpunch?

Lance doesn't have a "model" throwing motion, but he can throw it anywhere on the field. His velocity allows some tighter throws to work. As long as he performs don't care about his throwing motion. His motion is similar (not same) to Phillip Rivers.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JG does throw it quick but as a 5th year QB with Shanahan, he should. JG's footwork is horrible and likely why he has the occassional errant throw, leading to INTs. He is very limited in where he can throw and hence the mega-deal. I think JG's limitation doesn't allow Shanahan to counterpunch?

Lance doesn't have a "model" throwing motion, but he can throw it anywhere on the field. His velocity allows some tighter throws to work. As long as he performs don't care about his throwing motion. His motion is similar (not same) to Phillip Rivers.
What? He is technically very sound. In my opinion he takes a few too many chances and his decision-making at times can be suspect. I don't know enough about the passing game to be sure if some of his picks are receiver errors or they are his but he is technically sound.

I also disagree that his limitations are what prevent Shanahan from counter-punching. I think those limitations are Shanahan's ability to make adjustments and his lack of faith in Garoppolo. But I always go back to the 49ers record with him and the 49ers record without him. The difference is astonishing.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What? He is technically very sound. In my opinion he takes a few too many chances and his decision-making at times can be suspect. I don't know enough about the passing game to be sure if some of his picks are receiver errors or they are his but he is technically sound.

I also disagree that his limitations are what prevent Shanahan from counter-punching. I think those limitations are Shanahan's ability to make adjustments and his lack of faith in Garoppolo. But I always go back to the 49ers record with him and the 49ers record without him. The difference is astonishing.
I'm not the only who thinks JG's is limited to the middle of the field, at about 8 to 10 yards. You've watched him for 4 out of 5 years, where does he throw 95% of the time? Don't count WR screens and outlet passes, but when he's trying to throw "downfield", where does he throw? I already posted a quote from someone else - maybe on another thread - but he said the same thing.

I was watching some analysis on Youtube breaking down JG, and his footwork is bad. I was watching Youtube on Lance, granted limited sample size, and his footwork was better. Lance DOES show "jittery" feet as expected from someone playing his second game, but not something he can't fix. With more playing time, it'll automatically fix itself.