• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Was This The Worst Draft in NFL History?

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, while no draft class is perfect, they've missed too many at the top. How can you miss on a #3 overall (Solomon Thomas)? Also, weren't some of these misses trade ups such as Reuben Foster and CJ Beathard?

When you miss too many at the top, it catches up to you. Next off-season it will catch up because we'll need to sign FA's (some our own) and won't have 1st round picks. For example, because Dante Pettis didn't pan out we had to draft another WR in Aiyuk. Whereas that pick might've went to solidify another spot, say OT?
Yea, every team misses in the draft, but the damages from those misses are compounded when they happen early (S.thomas top 3), are the result of trades up (R.Foster, D.Pettis, J.Williams, Beathard), and when they result in expensive mitigation efforts (J.Williams--McKinnon; Foster---M.Alexander).

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't mean to imply in my post that you were, but you are one who never acknowledges or can explain away the difference between the 49ers with Garoppolo and the 49ers without Garoppolo. You just conveniently ignore that fact. But I'll post it for you here and see if you have a response:

"They have a 32-13 record (including playoffs) with him as the starter, while going 6-25 in all other games under Shanahan without him as the starter."

The floor is yours:
Kansas City was 50-27 with Alex Smith over 5 years in which he started at least 15 games and yet still had the audacity to start some Mahomes guy they traded up for after Smith statistically had his best season. I bet that hasn't worked... I mean I sure wish that never worked out for them.

Super Bowl LIV:bawling:

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What could have been...
There we were, sitting in rd 2 with all the CBs and S gone. Well, we did need an OG and our center is in his last couple of years. So, at #48 we took OG Aaron Banks. 13 more picks went by and then TWO centers who could also play OG were taken back to back. GB took Josh Myers (Ohio State) at #62 and the Chiefs took Creed Murphy (Oklahoma) at #63.

--Both Myers and Murphy were the day 1 starters at Center for their teams.
--Myers had a season ending injury in Week 6 and was put on IR.
--Murphy has started every game.
--Aaron Banks has zero starts and hasn’t really contributed.
--Myers graded out about as well as Brunskil has, a PFF 61 and change.
--Humphrey has graded out this season as the best Center in the NFL.
--Aaron Banks had zero starts. Was often a healthy scratch. And stunk when he did play.

That decision could easily go down in history with some of the true either/or Niner disasters.
--Smith over Rodgers really stands out
--passing on V.Wilfork to trade down for WR R.Woods even though we badly needed a NT for our ¾ defense we intended to run
--the trade down, trade up, fix-it-in-FA domino failure that was A.Kamara/J.Williams/J.McKinnon
--the 2011 drafting of WR R.Johnson over WR D.Baldwin. Harbaugh wanted Baldwin, but John Morton, Johnson’s college OC and WR coach reportedly pounded the table and demanded that GM Baalke take Johnson, and we did. Johnson didn’t make the team or even the PS. Baldwin was Seattle’s leading WR and a giant pain the Niner's ass.
I don't think the Smith over Rodgers pick would have made any difference. We were a terrible team led by a terrible coach. Would Aaron Rodgers be the same QB today if he had to start as a rookie for that trash 2005 team? Could he have succeeded under Singletary and Jimmy Raye's Run, Run, Pass High School scheme?

Meanwhile if Alex fell to Green Bay and got those years backing up Farve under the same offensive scheme how much different would his career look? He was pretty good under competent offensive coaches like Harbaugh and Andy Reid.

The number of top 3 round RB's and WR's we have missed on is huge. Solomon Thomas though has to be the worst pick over the last 20 years considering the picks we could have made. John Lynch would be well on his way to 2nd Hall of Fame entry had he made that trade with the Bears and then drafted Patrick Mahomes.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy G the best QB Available?

This would be great news for us potentially. If Rodgers stays with Green Bay and the Seahawks decide they're not letting Wilson go who on the market would be more ready to lead a Playoff ready team than Jimmy? Matt Ryan? but would you rather have Ryan or Garoppolo at this point of their careers? Deshuan Watson? I still don't think teams will touch him until all of the legal issues are resolved.

With a weak QB class in the Draft and playoff ready teams like the Broncos, Colts, Browns, Panthers, Saints, and Steelers the 49ers might be in a good position to get back some Draft capital. I know some think teams will just wait on us to release Jimmy, but that's taking a risk of not being able to sign him. That's a risk some of these teams probably can't afford to take if the goal is to land a QB to lead them.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just be thankful we don't have Kyler Murray. He is awful. Talk about stupid plays? Most overrated QB in the game.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy G the best QB Available?

This would be great news for us potentially. If Rodgers stays with Green Bay and the Seahawks decide they're not letting Wilson go who on the market would be more ready to lead a Playoff ready team than Jimmy? Matt Ryan? but would you rather have Ryan or Garoppolo at this point of their careers? Deshuan Watson? I still don't think teams will touch him until all of the legal issues are resolved.

With a weak QB class in the Draft and playoff ready teams like the Broncos, Colts, Browns, Panthers, Saints, and Steelers the 49ers might be in a good position to get back some Draft capital. I know some think teams will just wait on us to release Jimmy, but that's taking a risk of not being able to sign him. That's a risk some of these teams probably can't afford to take if the goal is to land a QB to lead them.
I hope Garoppolo ends up in the AFC. Otherwise he will haunt the 49ers. I'd like to see him in Pittsburgh

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Smith over Rodgers pick would have made any difference. We were a terrible team led by a terrible coach. Would Aaron Rodgers be the same QB today if he had to start as a rookie for that trash 2005 team? Could he have succeeded under Singletary and Jimmy Raye's Run, Run, Pass High School scheme?

Meanwhile if Alex fell to Green Bay and got those years backing up Farve under the same offensive scheme how much different would his career look? He was pretty good under competent offensive coaches like Harbaugh and Andy Reid.

The number of top 3 round RB's and WR's we have missed on is huge. Solomon Thomas though has to be the worst pick over the last 20 years considering the picks we could have made. John Lynch would be well on his way to 2nd Hall of Fame entry had he made that trade with the Bears and then drafted Patrick Mahomes.
Kinlaw and Foster were pretty bad too.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Garoppolo ends up in the AFC. Otherwise he will haunt the 49ers. I'd like to see him in Pittsburgh
Looks like most of the Playoff ready teams that need a QB will be in the AFC. That's where I would send him as well, but I wouldn't say no to an NFC team making a we have to have him offer.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
............. Or this guy. What a classless piece of trash.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinlaw and Foster were pretty bad too.
Kinlaw still has time. Foster was a great pick talent and on field production wise; he's just like Aldon Smith in that what could have been category. Kinlaw was a mid 1st and Foster a late 1st though. Thomas being the #3 pick and barely seeing the field before being released it a down right terrible pick. Even a bad Top 10 pick should still be a capable backup in the NFL.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinlaw still has time. Foster was a great pick talent and on field production wise; he's just like Aldon Smith in that what could have been category. Kinlaw was a mid 1st and Foster a late 1st though. Thomas being the #3 pick and barely seeing the field before being released it a down right terrible pick. Even a bad Top 10 pick should still be a capable backup in the NFL.
Yep. Thomas flat out couldn't play.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what happens when you continually draft players who are injured or are injury prone. Kinlaw has not been healthy since his sophomore year at South Carolina.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just be thankful we don't have Kyler Murray. He is awful. Talk about stupid plays? Most overrated QB in the game.
AJ Green is reminiscing right now about the good old days when Andy Dalton, a real QB, was throwing him passes.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ Green is reminiscing right now about the good old days when Andy Dalton, a real QB, was throwing him passes.
Murray may be back playing baseball in two years. Leads the league in lucky plays but that’s about it