• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Was it only ten teams or just namr bias?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched the show picking the teams for the Miss America contest that is the "national championship" in college football. They dropped TCU, even though they were#3 last week and replaced them, not with Baylor, the team that beat them, but with OSU. The B12 is the one left standing out in the cold, even though the B12 is supposedly the 2nd best league. Did they do this just to get the name of Ohio State in it? OR did the conference title games give the other leagues another signature win? Ohio State was creaming Wiscy while TCU beat IAST about like expected and Baylor was struggling with KSU. OR was the lack of a league title outright the deciding factor? Thoughts?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also noticed that there are more people with links to the B11 on the committee than any other league, bias toward the B11?

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are my thoughts…

Obviously I was wrong. I thought a Big 12 team would get in, and I thought the best team from the Big 12 was TCU… even though I know they lost the H/H to BU on the road.

I truly believe if either OU or UT had shared and/or won the Big 12 this year with the same resume, they'd be in the 4 team playoff. I believe tOSU is in because of its name and national following.

The committee loses all credibility with me by including them in the playoff… even putting them in the discussion. If this review is to include the body of work, I realize they had an impressive win with a 3rd string QB… but… it was Wisky. A Wisky team that lost to Northwestern… and LSU before the Tigers had developed their young team. Their only other win of note is at MSU. This is not better than either TCU or BU. BU beat both a #6 TCU and last night beat KSU… which was ranked #9. Their only loss was to WVU… a much better loss than tOSU's to VT. Despite the youth on the field in game #2 for the Buckeyes… their defense gave up 35 points to a team that could not even score a point against WF.

For once in my life, I agreed with Jesse Palmer when he said Okie St could have won the B1G West. TCU destroyed Minnesota, and they came within 1 win of earning the right to play for the CC.

Maybe not having a CCG hurt the Big 12 this year. But, the conference played 9 IC games. A CCG only allows the two participants to match this number… not exceed it.

Yes… BU played a terrible OOC schedule. But, I don't understand how TCU drops from #3 to #6 in less than 1 week simply because they beat ISU. An ISU team that beat Iowa earlier in the season.

Dark day for the Big 12 football schools…

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the lack of a CC game was the difference, also not saying that Baylor was the champion also hurt, Baylor beat TCU head to head they should have been the champion. All three had a shitty OOC schedule.

I have no beef with what the committee did. TCU should not have lost the game against Baylor, they were up big in the fourth quarter and choked. Baylor should not have lost to us.

This OSU team is not the same team that lost to VPI.

Time to talk about expansion, even if the new teams come in at reduced revenue. I bet there are 2 teams that would jump at the chance at half the revenue.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While it might not be the same team that lost to VT, it is the same team that struggled to beat Minnesota, had a tough time beating IU… and was in a dog fight for a good part of their game against Michigan.

That is not impressive…

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are my thoughts…

Obviously I was wrong. I thought a Big 12 team would get in, and I thought the best team from the Big 12 was TCU… even though I know they lost the H/H to BU on the road.

I truly believe if either OU or UT had shared and/or won the Big 12 this year with the same resume, they'd be in the 4 team playoff. I believe tOSU is in because of its name and national following.

The committee loses all credibility with me by including them in the playoff… even putting them in the discussion. If this review is to include the body of work, I realize they had an impressive win with a 3rd string QB… but… it was Wisky. A Wisky team that lost to Northwestern… and LSU before the Tigers had developed their young team. Their only other win of note is at MSU. This is not better than either TCU or BU. BU beat both a #6 TCU and last night beat KSU… which was ranked #9. Their only loss was to WVU… a much better loss than tOSU's to VT. Despite the youth on the field in game #2 for the Buckeyes… their defense gave up 35 points to a team that could not even score a point against WF.

For once in my life, I agreed with Jesse Palmer when he said Okie St could have won the B1G West. TCU destroyed Minnesota, and they came within 1 win of earning the right to play for the CC.

Maybe not having a CCG hurt the Big 12 this year. But, the conference played 9 IC games. A CCG only allows the two participants to match this number… not exceed it.

Yes… BU played a terrible OOC schedule. But, I don't understand how TCU drops from #3 to #6 in less than 1 week simply because they beat ISU. An ISU team that beat Iowa earlier in the season.

Dark day for the Big 12 football schools…

Mark this day down, as I agree with near every word, ESPECIALLY the remark about Texas or OU with the same resume. THAT is what sucks about not having a REAL playoff, name trumps game in any of the more modern systems, the "playoff", the BSC, the bowl alliance, the bowl coalition, these are all systems that are meant the appear fair, but exclude teams without a big name. Is there an NCAA rule that says you cant exceed 9 league games? The SEC was talking this fall of moving to a 9 game season plus the CCG.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the lack of a CC game was the difference, also not saying that Baylor was the champion also hurt, Baylor beat TCU head to head they should have been the champion. All three had a shitty OOC schedule.

I have no beef with what the committee did. TCU should not have lost the game against Baylor, they were up big in the fourth quarter and choked. Baylor should not have lost to us.

This OSU team is not the same team that lost to VPI.

Time to talk about expansion, even if the new teams come in at reduced revenue. I bet there are 2 teams that would jump at the chance at half the revenue.

I actually think Baylor has the biggest beef and is the better of the two teams, yes we beat Baylor and lost to TCU, but WVU manhandled TCU in every aspect of the game, except we kept turning the ball over. Yet again, the Luckeyes back their way in based purely on their name........

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was name.... If you look at all those factors that every one using each week SOS, FPI, top 25 teams beat...OSU came in third out of Baylor, TCU, and OSU.

The CG game against Wisky was not that impressive IMO because that team was not very good either.

Baylor and TCU need to go out a destroy their bowl opponents.

Oh well looking forward to our game on the 29th

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to 610wtvn today, Earl Bruce even said he was thankful that it was Baylor and TCU rather than Texas and Oklahoma who were at the top of the B12, because OSU wouldn't be going if it was. It is all a load of shit, if you are going to call someone champion, should your name matter? Should they quit actually running races in the Olympics and just give the gold medals to guys named Jim, silver to John, and bronze to Bob?

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think more than anything the Big12 screwed the Big12. You have to be kidding me, no tie break system in place if what happened happened? Baylor was the conference champ, period, any half twit sports fan would have the rules in place for that to be the case in this situation from his/her fanasy football league on up to the real world of CFB. They should have been presented as such to the committee, not a "co-champion".

:wtf2: is that in 2014?

We put our faith in the leadership of the Big12 this past off season when everyone knew this new system was coming including guys like Ollie and they failed us. I say that only because we could have had a meeting for the Big12 on this board and came up with a better plan than the crap that just went down these last few weeks for the conference.

I think changes are a coming for this conference very soon, gonna be a very interesting off season imo.

BTW:

Jilted Big 12 must make changes for college football playoff relevance - ESPN

Last edited by a moderator:

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Baylor has the biggest beef and is the better of the two teams, yes we beat Baylor and lost to TCU, but WVU manhandled TCU in every aspect of the game, except we kept turning the ball over. Yet again, the Luckeyes back their way in based purely on their name........

meh, Im not mad at tOSU. Its not their fault that CFB has yet to fix its terrible post season. It should have included all P5 champs from day 1 and then if they wanted to use a committee ect. to decide on a wildcard(s) and be more like the basketball tourney then so be it.

The Buckeyes are a P5 champ with 1 loss, imo they deserve a spot as well.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If…

The biggest word in sports.

If FSU goes down Saturday night… if tOSU looks questionable on Saturday night… the Big 12 likely gets both TCU and BU in the Final 4.

Neither team made it…

I am not convinced that the Big 12 not awarding BU a champion flag hurt their resume for the committee. If any of us stupid shits can figure they won a H/H tiebreaker, how could the individual members not do the same?

In the end, BU had a better resume than tOSU. What they didn't have was a convincing 59-0 victory… nor a name with a national following.

Once you saw the ESPN machine hyping tOSU on Saturday night… you knew the outcome of today's rankings.

It truly is a joke…

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have said before..4 teams is not enough.....it should be 5 Conference Champions and 3 at large teams.....I would be shocked if they don't make that change for next year...

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I have said before..4 teams is not enough.....it should be 5 Conference Champions and 3 at large teams.....I would be shocked if they don't make that change for next year...

This would definitely make it better but I just wish there was a way to take human voting completely out of the equation and let the game played on the field decide on who has the better team. I know a 16 game playoff would be too much and would probably never happen. If it did, you would have 10 conferences (excluding Independents), which would mean 10 champions. How and who would decide on the other 6 teams? I don't know if there's any perfect way and there will always be someone who feels they were snubbed. But I totally agree that there needs to be at least 8 teams that way a power conference will never be left out.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go 16....the other divisions do it. No one will give a hoot about the 17 and 18th team being left out and you could add some of the smaller schools to appease them,,,,maybe even have a Cinderella every now and then. There is no doubt Baylor and TCU are two of the best teams in the country and the fact they are being left out by human board is crazy, but there is not enough room for everyone.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go 16....the other divisions do it. No one will give a hoot about the 17 and 18th team being left out and you could add some of the smaller schools to appease them,,,,maybe even have a Cinderella every now and then. There is no doubt Baylor and TCU are two of the best teams in the country and the fact they are being left out by human board is crazy, but there is not enough room for everyone.

What sucks is that there are six teams who are evenly matched to fit into four spots. THAT is the reason a REAL playoff needs to happen, to get a big enough field to be SURE to include the best team. I happen to think 16 is the right number, I see others saying eight, what we DO know is that 2 or 4 is not enough. I do not see how TCU was #3, pounded their opponent, and dropped to #6........IF this BS "playoff" is to stay, do away with the week to week rankings, do it once at the end of the season and be done with it. Had this same pole came out without the one 5 days earlier that was completely different, I would have less beef about it.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that the selection committee got it right given their mandate. Ohio State looked like the best team in the country on Saturday. They blew out a top 25 team worst than TCU did to a 2-10 team.

WVU really screwed the B12 this year. Baylor can look no further than their loss in Morgantown. Combine that loss with our late season meltdown and WVU could no longer be considered a quality loss. If WVU ends up at 9-3 and ranked in the top 20/15, Baylor has a little more to hang their hat on. If WVU holds on against TCU, the committee has one choice in the conference for the playoff. Our meltdown made Baylors loss to us look no worse than OSUs loss to Virginia Tech. Oklahoma losing in their last game did not help matters when looking at strength of schedule.

While many feel that we needed a CC game, I don't think it would have made much of a difference. A close game between Baylor and TCU would not have likely made much of a difference. If TCU came in and did what OSU did to Wisconsin in a CC game, they would be in but those teams are both so good that there would have been no blowout.

Regardless, the B12 needs to get that 13th game in with a CC game. They should not do this and keep the round robin format as our teams tend to beat up on each other too much. You need to give a team a better chance of going through a season undefeated which has not happened since the round robin format was introduced. Keep conference games at 7 per team so teams can schedule more P5 teams out of conference.

The B12 took a gamble and it did not pay off. Two losses in the top 5 and two B12 teams are in the playoff. No losses and the improbable domination by Ohio State was the worst possible scenario for the B12.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our meltdown made Baylors loss to us look no worse than OSUs loss to Virginia Tech. .

Your joking right????:scratch: We may have lost games at the end of the season, but by no means was it a four alarm meltdown...we were competitive in every game with a argument for Texas. Va Techs season and our season had totally different tones.

wvu_man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your joking right???? We may have lost games at the end of the season, but by no means was it a four alarm meltdown...we were competitive in every game with a argument for Texas. Va Techs season and our season had totally different tones.

:agree:
Totally agree...VT's season was disappointing and embarrassing to say the least. Losing 6-3 in 2 OT's to Wake Forest and not scoring a single point in regulation is just plain awful. I feel we somewhat overachieved with our 7-5 record and had many opportunities to be great this season. Even though VT squeaked out a bowl eligible 6-6 record, it was a season to forget if you were a fan.