• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Votto still hitting 3rd

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price keeping Votto in No. 3 spot

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

GOODYEAR, Ariz. --
Reds manager Bryan Price is not going to ask Joey Votto to change how he hits.

"In his defense, he scored a lot of runs last year and he got on base a high percentage and put us in situations to help Brandon [Phillips] drive in 100-plus [runs] and Jay [Bruce] drive in 100-plus. There was run production and a lot of it from Joey. The one thing I think everyone else discusses is the total amount of RBIs. How much can you really change approach as far as expanding a zone? Does it make sense to expand a strike zone in order to drive in runs?

"It's simply taking advantage of the good pitches to hit. I think the depth of the quality of hitters we have behind him … could also provide him with some opportunities. I can't ask him to expand his strike zone. He's worked so hard to get there. We hope when he gets good pitches to hit, he hits them and we have guys on base ahead of him that he can drive in."

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like good sense. I like Bruce behind Votto. IMO, they'll keep pitching risk assesment to Votto until pounded into being forced to pitch to him...not to be omitted is that they won't walk him with 2 on either... So, Hamilton and Phillips are important in front of Votto too. If you have to go with a 3-4 man offense, best to not schedule any more outs between them than you have to... Meaning, hit them back to back.

Ryanballa

Reds Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep Votto should be no where but in the 3rd spot,dont really see how its a surprise. He is the best hitter on the team,and the best player.Like 1507 said,as well as Price put Bruce in 4 hole. But as for Votto hitting 3rd,he will be there for along time.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta look pretty hard to find another MLB lineup Votto shouldn't hit 3rd in. That's a pretty good indicator he should hit 3rd in this one.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta look pretty hard to find another MLB lineup Votto shouldn't hit 3rd in. That's a pretty good indicator he should hit 3rd in this one.

The alternatives are 1st, 2nd, or 4th.

A lot of this comes from people who have their noses stuck in the metrics box and get real defensive when somebody mentions "RBI" in the same sentence with "baseball."

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guilty of that too... When I see a guy hit .260 with 35 HR, I think he's a 4 hitter. When I see a guy hit .260 with 18 HR, I think he's a 6 hitter... Or a 2 hitter if he has done speed.

When I see .300/25 I see 3 hitter.

I have tunnel vision. Some managers see .229 /150 K's and think leadoff hitter.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guilty of that too... When I see a guy hit .260 with 35 HR, I think he's a 4 hitter. When I see a guy hit .260 with 18 HR, I think he's a 6 hitter... Or a 2 hitter if he has done speed.

When I see .300/25 I see 3 hitter.

I have tunnel vision. Some managers see .229 /150 K's and think leadoff hitter.

Well, there are trends that generally lead to conclusions.
If a guy is a 35-HR guy, he's a cleanup hitter, unless he's with the 1956 Redlegs, then he's probably hitting 6th!

Votto is a genuine No. 3 hitter. With any lineup in the major leagues.

To that end, the ideas that are floating around Goodyear would lead me to believe that Price sees Votto as not only a No. 3 hitter, but a No. 3 hitter who can get the batting order to the Nos. 4 and 5 hitters. Those guys have to step up.

After that, the 6-7-8 guys need to drive in runs.

That falls into place with better baserunning. A .230 hitter is probably going to be more likely to hit a ground ball or a fly ball. Having a guy on 3rd base would be nice at that point.

I don't think Dusty always got it wrong on the batting order, but the players he put there didn't deliver. That may still not happen, but I think it's time somebody at least worked on it.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard enough to succeed with sound philosophy. The previous format was a recipe made for dissapointment. Votto may be a good example of being the same player, results somewhat dependent on the players around him-he wasn't going to adjust to be a 35 HR .260 swingaholic just because his manager preferred it. This may be true of most hitters- I doubt .240 hitters are going to instantly be .280 hitters under different staff. What I hope for is just better plate philosophy, better baserunning fundamentals, and a lineup that not only puts the ball in play more often, but advances more runners on productive outs. It will score more runs, and in those games where the Reds lost 1-0 or 2-1, it can be the difference in making post season and just playing .500.