• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Von Miller facing possible 4 game suspension

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know whether it's been mentioned already, since I haven't read every post, but I don't think that the league is allowed by terms of the collective bargaining agreement to reveal what substance a player tests positive for.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know whether it's been mentioned already, since I haven't read every post, but I don't think that the league is allowed by terms of the collective bargaining agreement to reveal what substance a player tests positive for.
Exactly! Which is why this leak represents an embarassment for the League Office. Mr. Goodell may have some 'splainin' to do....

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly! Which is why this leak represents an embarassment for the League Office. Mr. Goodell may have some 'splainin' to do....

I haven't followed the story very closely, so I don't know who is responsible for any leaks or rumors. Someone on the general board, however, wrote that when a report of a particular substance is linked to a failed drug test, it is typically the PR people for the player who failed the test who leak or start rumors about that substance. Not saying that is what happened here, but I think that there is clear motivation for a player to prefer that he is associated with a banned substance like pot versus, say PEDs.

Probably just have to wait and see how it all shakes out. Hopefully Miller isn't suspended, but if he is, hopefully it is an opportunity for one or more other guys to fill in capably, though we are surely unable to fully replace Miller.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't followed the story very closely, so I don't know who is responsible for any leaks or rumors. Someone on the general board, however, wrote that when a report of a particular substance is linked to a failed drug test, it is typically the PR people for the player who failed the test who leak or start rumors about that substance. Not saying that is what happened here, but I think that there is clear motivation for a player to prefer that he is associated with a banned substance like pot versus, say PEDs.

Probably just have to wait and see how it all shakes out. Hopefully Miller isn't suspended, but if he is, hopefully it is an opportunity for one or more other guys to fill in capably, though we are surely unable to fully replace Miller.
I probably should have qualified my comment and said this COULD be an embarassment if it's determined it came from the league office.

Which in this case is feasible, since Miller's PR people would probably want to keep it hushed until there's a resolution, then leak it's recreational and not PED. No sense leaking if the appeal somehow proves successful.

Stevein2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I probably should have qualified my comment and said this COULD be an embarassment if it's determined it came from the league office.

Which in this case is feasible, since Miller's PR people would probably want to keep it hushed until there's a resolution, then leak it's recreational and not PED. No sense leaking if the appeal somehow proves successful.

I think the league can designate though between someone being suspended for a "PED" vs a "banned substance" if it's pot they'd say he violated the drug policy or some such.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the league can designate though between someone being suspended for a "PED" vs a "banned substance" if it's pot they'd say he violated the drug policy or some such.

That has been said. There is enough information out there that shows this was not for Steroids. It boils down to either a failed drug test, mishandled drug test, missed drug test, missed counseling session, or something along those lines.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broncos confident Von Miller's suspension will be lifted

Interesting, according to Lindsay Jones at USA Today, the Broncos expect the suspension to be lifted.

It does seem like the more information comes out on the situation the more it is pointing towards it wasn't an actual failed drug test that he is being suspended for but more a violation of something else. I have heard the NFL is very strict that if they say you have 24 hours to report for a drug test and you fail to show up it is an automatic strike against you no matter what the circumstances. Such as when Von went and did his military tour if the NFL called during that time and said you have 24 hours to get here for a drug test even though you are in Afghanistan.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does seem like the more information comes out on the situation the more it is pointing towards it wasn't an actual failed drug test that he is being suspended for but more a violation of something else. I have heard the NFL is very strict that if they say you have 24 hours to report for a drug test and you fail to show up it is an automatic strike against you no matter what the circumstances. Such as when Von went and did his military tour if the NFL called during that time and said you have 24 hours to get here for a drug test even though you are in Afghanistan.

You may be exactly right. If they called during that time, he had no chance in hell of making it back in anything close to 24 hours.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it indeed boils down to a missed test because he was in Afganistan, I'd say the NFL would have no choice but to lift the suspension. Would be a PR nightmare for Goodell if they tried to be THAT strict.

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it indeed boils down to a missed test because he was in Afganistan, I'd say the NFL would have no choice but to lift the suspension. Would be a PR nightmare for Goodell if they tried to be THAT strict.

Agreed, the hate mail from me to the NFL FO would start as soon as I found out.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, the hate mail from me to the NFL FO would start as soon as I found out.

LOL You should include with your letters that pic in your av. Very intimidating!

xBxtxDx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL You should include with your letters that pic in your av. Very intimidating!

I know and if only I looked like that in real life, no one would F with me and I would get all of the chix!!!

BobGnarly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schefter confirmed today that Von hasn't failed a drug test is the last year

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was the rumor going around twitter yesterday, that he missed a test while he was on his USO tour in Afghanistan.

If that's true, I'd say he's got a good shot of winning his appeal. Based on his comments on twitter that he was totally innocent, and that he unequivocally denied that pot was part of his life, I'm actually inclined to believe that may be the case.

Of course, if he is still a pot smoker, that was pretty stupid of him to say that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the rumor going around twitter yesterday, that he missed a test while he was on his USO tour in Afghanistan.

If that's true, I'd say he's got a good shot of winning his appeal. Based on his comments on twitter that he was totally innocent, and that he unequivocally denied that pot was part of his life, I'm actually inclined to believe that may be the case.

Of course, if he is still a pot smoker, that was pretty stupid of him to say that.

Yeah I read of a few sports writers who were saying that their sources were saying that this was the case. If so then yes I don't see any way that the NFL can uphold this ruling without some major backlash. Considering isn't the month of November in the NFL completely dedicated to military appreciation in the NFL? I would think they would want to show that they encourage their players to be involved with the military in some way. Hopefully this is the case. Everybody that keeps speaking from the Broncos' camp seems to think he will be found innocent in all of this.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Von Miller was in the Middle East, and that caused this issue, then Mr. Goodell better watch his steps here.

If it turns out to be a scheduling snafu combined with an untimely leak of sensitive info about a player, you could be looking at a big mess for the NFL.

One question: If this truly is the case, why the wait for a hearing? Just get it cleared up and move on.

FFSparky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Von Miller was in the Middle East, and that caused this issue, then Mr. Goodell better watch his steps here.

If it turns out to be a scheduling snafu combined with an untimely leak of sensitive info about a player, you could be looking at a big mess for the NFL.

One question: If this truly is the case, why the wait for a hearing? Just get it cleared up and move on.

I totally agree ! And in this case if it was a leak, the NFL should be finding the source and fire their A$$