• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech to the B1G is VERY in play

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want WVU! I hate them so much that I want to kick their ass every year!!

yep, this is how i feel too

i'd rather take wvu then anyone in the big east aside from pitt

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other reason that I want WVU is that the Backyard Brawl is one of the best rivalries in the east right now and I want to maintain it. Virginia Tech, Pitt, West Virginia and Maryland could become a hell of a hatefest.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just my personal opinion, but it's beginning to look like the idea of Tech going to the Big Ten/Eleven/Whatever is starting to fade rapidly.

I will say that it's been very surprising to me how quickly the ACC moved publicly to accept Pitt and the Cuse. I was also surprised at how quickly the ACC acted to raise their buyout fees to $20 million for any program attempting to leave the conference.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proactive, and I'm glad we're on the ball in this conference shuffle. ACC has ensured we survive this and come out ahead. It looks like VT is in for the long haul. And if memory serves, it was not the ACC that didn't want VT in the beginning, but rather Miami. And since that was the whole point of the first expansion to begin, I think it came off as rather anti VT when the ACC ignored VT in the beginning. But be certain, if the ACC never wanted you, VT would not be in it today.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is not over....we may yet be B1G bound...

It may have looked pretty good to jump to the Big Whatever about a week ago, but it may not look as good now with the new ACC exit fee of $20 million. That's a big financial hill to climb over unless the Big Whatever is willing to help out, which I seriously doubt.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
FWIW i think we stay in the ACC and I hope we end up with better teams than Uconn and Rutgers.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B1G were the first guys to talk superconference. They were all in on Texas and Oklahoma. That is gone now. There is no way that they are goin to sit back andrake the scraps that are left. They are too rich and powerful. Unjust don't buy them scooping up Rutgers, Kansas, Mizzou and smiling and walking away. 20mil is pennies in the long run. They WILL poach, it is just a matter of who will dance with them.

I sure hope that we are smart enough to dance if asked.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The B1G were the first guys to talk superconference. They were all in on Texas and Oklahoma. That is gone now. There is no way that they are goin to sit back andrake the scraps that are left. They are too rich and powerful. Unjust don't buy them scooping up Rutgers, Kansas, Mizzou and smiling and walking away. 20mil is pennies in the long run. They WILL poach, it is just a matter of who will dance with them.

I sure hope that we are smart enough to dance if asked.

I have no problem staying in the ACC as long as they continue to be proactive and try add some "football teams", but if the ACC is planning to add MORE BE schools, I hope VT is working on their exit strategy.

Sounds like the coming days/weeks/months could be very interesting!

46, 2 questions for you:

(1) is the 20million buy out already in effect?
(2) any idea what other schools the Big 10 would be interested in besides VT?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks more like a basketball move first, football second imo. The ACC should seriously go after Texas for the football side of things. I doubt Texas would join now after recent reports said the PAC-12 is willing to let them keep their network. If they can keep their network and still play OU (also going to PAC-12), why join the ACC?

I guess it doesn't matter who goes where so long as we're in a superconference. What I think is going to happen is the superconferences are going to secede from the BCS (maybe even the NCAA) and hold a playoff for football. If you're not in one of the conferences, you're not getting into the playoff.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. It was effective immediately but although on the surface it seems like a lot, it is pennies as a long term investment.

2. Notre Dame is top. Then the two techs, Maryland, Rutgers and Virginia. The next tear would be Kansas or BC.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
2. Notre Dame is top. Then the two techs, Maryland, Rutgers and Virginia. The next tear would be Kansas or BC.

Would have absolutely no problem with that!!! Would help on the travel side of things. I'd be all for Us, ND, Mary, and the who?s.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I had to guess I would say ND, VT, GT and Rutgers.

Kansas, UConn, Mizzou and Baylor to the ACC.

We will be fine wherever, I just want fall afternoons at Lane to take a step up.

Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Penn State tolling into Blacksburg sure beats Wake Forest, Cuse, NC State, maybe FSU and maybe Clemson.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should find out a bunch of shut later tonight, around midnight. If I am still awake when my email comes in, I will post. (played football for 3 hours today and my 31 year old body is tired) if not, I will post early tomorrow morning.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GT seems awfully far outside of the B1G geographic area. a B1G with VT, ND, Maryland, and West Virginia would be nice.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
If I had to guess I would say ND, VT, GT and Rutgers.

Kansas, UConn, Mizzou and Baylor to the ACC.

We will be fine wherever, I just want fall afternoons at Lane to take a step up.

Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin and Penn State tolling into Blacksburg sure beats Wake Forest, Cuse, NC State, maybe FSU and maybe Clemson.

DaMN a lot of shake up there, but it'd be tough to argue that anything is out of the question. It'd also be tough to argue that i'd be a lot more hyped over watching VT/tOSU than VT/duke.

FWIW i talked to someone who works in the AD saturday, He said that chances are we will be in the ACC for a long time to come, but said that our administration realizes how fast things are changing and that in order to stay competitive we must change with them. He also told me "that there are several options and strategies that could change how VT views theri existence in the ACC". <--- btw just to show the context of the conversation: this was before the pitt/cuse additions were official.

gobigred

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,849,613.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way West Virginia comes to B1G. Academically they just don't cut it.

Would love to see VT in the B1G though.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't ALL 12 of the ACC presidents just vote unanimously on the 20 million dollar exit fee? If you had some question about whether or not you were going to remain in the conference would you vote to pay 20 mill to get out?
Sounds to me like the ACC is solid and everyone is staying put. Just a lot of chatter (rumor) out there right now until these expansions settle down.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I still say it is 75/25 we stay bit I am just letting you guys know it is nit a done deal.

it seems like things are so fluid right now that i wouldnt bet on anything nor count anything out. What was the truth today may be a lie tomorrow. Im just thankful that it looks like VT will @ the least be in A power conference, getting moved to one of the upper tier conferences would just be icing on the cake.