• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech 2013 Recruiting Target List

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a matter of playing time, it's a matter of recruiting people in over him.

Are you saying we should have turned away Sims (who was a 5 star QB out of high school) or Marshall (who plays QB at one of the best high schools in VA & MD)?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a matter of playing time, it's a matter of recruiting people in over him.

That is exactly what it is. And I too, could understand why/IF Watford and Smith have a problem with that. Imagine how the Kansas QB's who were brought in in '09/'10 felt when Weiss brought in Dayne Crist on a transfer?? They won't even get a realistic look. Not to say they are better or even in the same league., but do you think they were OK with it?? Hell, NO. And in Weiss' defense (a little bit) he wasn't even there when they were recruited. I am not saying that you should turn away prospects like Sims when they come knocking on the door, but it is a foregone conclusion that ML went after him (the feeling WAS mutual) the second he knew PS was looking to go elsewhere. Its all good if Sims is winning, but you can expect to burn a couple bridges for the future with that...

FTR, I am with Jeffro, Watford hasn't really show me that he has that IT factor, I don't see him being a long term option at QB regardless if Sims came there or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Watford transfers, it's because he just can't cut it. Did London promise him playing time? Quite possibly, and London gave him plenty of chances to make an impact and he didn't. Did he the need the redshirt year? Again, quite possibly. Watford looked straight up terrible when he was in the game. I look at his situation this way; Now that he has been a part of game action first hand, if he does red-shirt this year(which is likely), then it will only benefit him because now he knows what he needs to work on. I'm not sure what Mike Smith is pissed about. Watford would have most likely red-shirted if he would have went to any other school that offered. If he went to VT, he would be backing up Logan Thomas. If he went to West Va, he would be backing up Geno Smith. Again, I fail to see what Mike Smith is so pissed about.

As I heard it, Smith is pissed that Watford wasn't redshirted last year if he wasn't going to be the starter. He really needed it. You said he'll probably redshirt this year... is that a new development? Last I heard he probably wouldn't redshirt this year, either. And since he's not likely to get much playing time, that's another year burned. And then there are like 18 QBs that ML is bringing in that he'll have to compete with. You expect competition, but not against that many guys.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I heard it, Smith is pissed that Watford wasn't redshirted last year if he wasn't going to be the starter. He really needed it. You said he'll probably redshirt this year... is that a new development? Last I heard he probably wouldn't redshirt this year, either. And since he's not likely to get much playing time, that's another year burned. And then there are like 18 QBs that ML is bringing in that he'll have to compete with. You expect competition, but not against that many guys.

I have actually heard that he may redshirt this year (in the unlikely event that Sims is granted permission to play immediately) but there is a possibility that he could redshirt NEXT year as well (when at the latest, Sims is eligible to play). Either way you slice it it is not looking good for Watford unless he shows some major improvement. I think before it is over with, he will have to change positions or transfer. I say this in light of the fact that there is no guarantee that Sims will start over Rocco or Lambert "The second coming of the Great Matt Schaub".

Sorry to get kinda OT with all of this...

Lee_grazie

GO TERPS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are we seriously acting like if sims was coming out this year he wouldnt been vts top target at qb?? 4* is a hell of a lot better than all the guys on the roster now were rated out of high school... id take a top 100 qb over a completely raw qb like motley anyday, jeffro I dont think uva should have passed on sims, but they seriously will look bad with probably 3qbs that will end up transferring

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
are we seriously acting like if sims was coming out this year he wouldnt been vts top target at qb?? 4* is a hell of a lot better than all the guys on the roster now were rated out of high school... id take a top 100 qb over a completely raw qb like motley anyday, jeffro I dont think uva should have passed on sims, but they seriously will look bad with probably 3qbs that will end up transferring
We would not have passed since we have 2 scholarship qbs right now (3 if you count Motley). However already having 6 on campus or committed and adding another is odd but to each their own, some will transfer, some will compete, some will switch positions, no worries. Now back to 2013 VT targets.....

Lee_grazie

GO TERPS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jalen ramsey ... kid from the same school as woody baron rated high everywhere anyone know why tech didn't get traction there?:noidea:

ImAHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Oh look, people who don't understand that Mike Smith doesn't need a legit reason to be pissed. It has nothing to do with whether or not Watford couldn't cut it.

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

We took TWO QBs over Burns and Hackenberg, and offered Jennings of GA. Sims can play, but I wouldn't make assumptions.

Lee_grazie

GO TERPS!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We took TWO QBs over Burns and Hackenberg, and offered Jennings of GA. Sims can play, but I wouldn't make assumptions.

vt didn't take 2 qbs over those guys they received commitments after they had already committed Burns has great size but is raw but Hackenberg would realistically been the first or second choice for vt if there was actual chace to get him, lts face it Parker is coming off a season ending injury and as much i loved jennings he played injured as well look at CHs film he looks really good miles ahead of any qb techs hadmaybe ever... and the argument that hodges is a dual threat is invalid bcus he has nowhere near the legs of LT3 but I love Hodges potential and parker will be a big fast wideout similar to marcus davis...I guess what im sayin is Sims at the same stage was a superior player to the 2 qb commits vt has if u dont beliebe me look at the film same levelcompetition as well .. just my opinion tag

TagAndBrag

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
vt didn't take 2 qbs over those guys they received commitments after they had already committed Burns has great size but is raw but Hackenberg would realistically been the first or second choice for vt if there was actual chace to get him, lts face it Parker is coming off a season ending injury and as much i loved jennings he played injured as well look at CHs film he looks really good miles ahead of any qb techs hadmaybe ever... and the argument that hodges is a dual threat is invalid bcus he has nowhere near the legs of LT3 but I love Hodges potential and parker will be a big fast wideout similar to marcus davis...I guess what im sayin is Sims at the same stage was a superior player to the 2 qb commits vt has if u dont beliebe me look at the film same levelcompetition as well .. just my opinion tag

I'm having trouble reading your post, but VT didn't even offer those guys. Does it matter when or to whom they committed?

Second, Bucky has better legs than LT, with the exception of running over linebackers. He's no Tyrod or Vick, but no one will ask him to be. This is a new kind of VT QB, and he fits perfectly.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hodges has about the same speed as LT but not as much power. More will come as he hits the weights. He's definitely dual threat

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually our QB big board looked like:
1)Bucky
2)Carlis
3)Jennings

I can promise you that.

VT_Football_Fan

Be strong.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old news. Besides, the UVa staff values Burks higher than they did with Kalambayi and Bryant.

Is that what they're saying now that the others committed else where? Like I said, I know what Vince Brown thinks of Burks, and its "special teamer". They will say anything to recruits face to get the commitment, but behind their back, watch out...